1.5 hours from Calais

Cattwg

Hi,

I'm looking for an aire en route to Lac du Der Chantecoq (SE of Calais) and about one and a half hours (75-ish miles) driving time from Calais.

I've heard mention of an aire and Camping Municipale at Bapaume. However it's not in the aires book that I have nor in CamperStop Europe.

Does anyone have details on Bapaume or other suggestions please?

Regards Cattwg.

Fecamp is ok for a night stop, is that what you are looking for, or is it a longer stay. If so the municipal site at Bayeaux isn't that far away. This is a nicely laid out site and the facilities are quite good. A bread van stops there too in a morning!

Hi Tomo,

Thanks for replying. I just want an overnight. We are actually heading for Rome (via a wander through eastern France) and want to spend a few days relaxing at Lac du Der Chantecoq. There are aires at the lake but its too far to drive the first evening - we will arrive at Calais about 1800 hrs.

Any thoughts on Bapaume?

Regards Cattwg

Guest JudgeMental

can't see anything at Bapaume on my sat nav, there is this one a little further south at peronne and others scattered around....

http://www.airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car_gps.php/2006

we stopped of at lac du der last year on our way back from Italy. Now I don't know if it was because we had had such a wonderful time in Lake Garda but we were decidedly unimpressed, it is a man made lake - sort of a flood plain with trees sticking out of it and while the french seemed over the moon with the expanse of water I found the environment a bit depressing.....

I know lots on here like the area and thats why we tried it.

We had a similar problem to yours a few weeks ago.

You could stop at the aire at Arques but it's not really far enough away from Calais. In the end we stopped in the public carpark near the church at St Noeux les Mines. It's a quiet little town and although there was a restaurant acroos the carpark from us we strolled up the main street and found a Turkish kebab place and had extremely good burgers and chips with a very reasonable wine there.

It was saturday night and almost nobody around.

Have fun

I have an aire we use near to Cambrai. Very new and nicely located with hook up and water. I could not find it in any of our books we just stumbled accross it. But TGL has wrote it in her own little aires book she keeps if your interested.

Thank you folks for answering my query.

Judge: Can't remember where I saw the reference to the aire and Camping Municipale in Bapaume but they see to have disappeared - perhaps I dreamt it!

Minstrel: I could not find St. Noeux Les Mines on AutoRoute or my maps. BUT I did a search on www.eurocampingcar.com using just Noeux Les Mines (56mls from Calais) and it came up with an aire! Is this the same place as your useful car-park?

Panaqah: Is the aire in Cambrai easy to find?

Thanks to your replies and my own research I now have three aires: 56mls, 99mls and 120mls (Catillion-sur-Sambre) from and virtually all on the same route SE of Calais. Thank you.

Regards Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2008-04-09 5:30 PM

Judge: Can't remember where I saw the reference to the aire and Camping Municipale in Bapaume but they see to have disappeared - perhaps I dreamt it!

It's all my fault! When replying to a similar request, and not having my records with me at the time, I confused Bapaume with Péronne. Sorry folks. I did correct it in a later post

Archived