Reversing camera

Ranger

Has anyone tried the maplin wireless colour reversing camera??? Looks very good for sale price of £99.99. Powered from the reversing light, automatically switches to black & white display for use in the dark. Only a 3.5 inch display.

Ranger - 2008-04-08 11:53 PM

Has anyone tried the maplin wireless colour reversing camera??? Looks very good for sale price of £99.99. Powered from the reversing light, automatically switches to black & white display for use in the dark. Only a 3.5 inch display.

That sounds alright, have you got a link ot it? I cant see it on the Maplins site?

Just before you go out and spend your money ........

I have looked at wireless cameras (although not wireless as you connect them to your reversing lights or other power source). My blackberry and mobile phone seemed to sometimes interfere with it (or maybe it was something else)

I have decided on a wired CCD camera with monitor that I got off ebay for similar money.

I intend to fit it this weekend so if you would like to wait I will tell you how it went and if it is worth it.

just for your consideration.

I've yet to find use for a reversing camera. Everyone wants to race past me on the road. At home I reverse into a narrow space with 3ins to spare either side where I find no difficulty, all I use are the two standard mirrors and common sense.

When in a strange location I get out to look, assess and memorise the position to reverse into. it has never failed me yet.

Surely this should be done anyway so you don't run over a child's bike or someones cat!

LB

libby - 2008-04-11 8:41 PM When in a strange location I get out to look, assess and memorise the position to reverse into. it has never failed me yet.

Libby, you've been very lucky.

Like you, I always have a wander around the back of the 'van before reversing to check any obstacles and decide which lock etc, but on a busy site, by the time you are back in the cab a small child could easily have moved to the rear of the van without you noticing.

My 'van doesn't have a rear window and the reversing camera was fitted as standard. It's been invaluable when reversing into a tight spot.

I do have a reversing camera which was fitted on my van before I bought it. A lovely 6" screen but in most cases, totally useless. Any bright sunlight around and it doesn't do the job. The answer, well either use your mirrors, or, as most of us travel in pairs, get you partner to watch where you're going. Mind you, it's vital to have pre-arranged signalling. Without wishing to appear sexist, it is difficult to get the correct signals from a female. They usually manage to stand in a position where you can't see them in your mirrors, and expect you to understand what they're doing. Is it me?

I had one already fitted on my last 'van and got used to it, very handy for doing a three point turn in a narrow country lane gate way when lost and have to go back and start again. Useful too on Caravan Club sites with their stupid idea of having to pitch with the peg in the centre of the back of the 'van instead of the rear off side corner in view of the mirror. Also good for avoiding fast moving children on sites. The tricky part is finding a nice dark place to fit the screen.

Hello my forum mates...just to advise I fitted a ccd wired camera today and clip 'over mirror' monitor.

Took a while but very straight forward...image is superb even at night...I have a view behind the van (on permanent) and the monitor is where the mirrror is so no habit changing !

Feeding the cables through cupboards etc a bit fiddly but worth it to hide everything. Easy to get under the dash in the Ducato.

just for the record so to speak.

take care

Guest peter
Moncayoman - 2008-04-13 1:22 AM

Hello my forum mates...just to advise I fitted a ccd wired camera today and clip 'over mirror' monitor.

Took a while but very straight forward...image is superb even at night...I have a view behind the van (on permanent) and the monitor is where the mirrror is so no habit changing !

Feeding the cables through cupboards etc a bit fiddly but worth it to hide everything. Easy to get under the dash in the Ducato.

just for the record so to speak.

take care

Hi, have you got a link to the dealer you got it from?. Cheers. Peter

i Peter, i have the same system, mine came from road pro, had trouble with the cheaper camera they provided, eventualy they changed the compleat system (to be sure that they had the right part exchanged) and it works a treat, even got a microphone so you can hear whats behind you as well as see.

pete

peter - 2008-04-13 9:24 PM

Hi, have you got a link to the dealer you got it from?. Cheers. Peter

I have had the same sort of system fitted to ours for some while now, got it from E-bay though from a UK seller in Kent, I think you will find it is somewhat better VFM than the normal moterhome sellers see

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150236294950&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

they do several alternatives if you go to their shop, however I find it superb and far better than the Waeco it replaced. You don't get sun reflection spoiling the screen as it is up where the normal mirror is so is just like looking in your normal rear view but clearer. CCD is definately the best way to go

Bas

Ranger - 2008-04-17 12:33 AM

All fitted now, works a treat, no TV interferance, will try it out at the Carmarthen motorhome show this weekend. Cheers all.

I had mine delivered at 11.30 this morning. Now also running.

Thanks for tipping me off about it, I'm dead chuffed. :-D :-D

Sorry about the pun!

I fitted a commercial camera system on our motorhome. I believe that the biggest mistake most converters / installers make is mounting the camera in the back of the van, it needs to be mounted off the top of the van effectively looking down. If the lens is a sufficient wide angle you can see from the back bumper nearly to the horizon and suffer very little glare from the sun.

My system which I would not be without and enables me to reverse a small trailer (which cannot be seen in any mirrors until its too late) around corners detailed here

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/REAR%20VIEW%20CAMERA.htm

Like most things you only get what you pay for.

I see no advantage in having a wireless link as you still have to wire the supply to the camera and a good camera is far to usefull to only be used when reversing.

C.

Yes Clive you are quite right about the position of the camara, to avoid making holes in my GRP body I fitted the camera under a locker inside the back window viewing what the wife would see if she went back and looked out the window for me, and to be more realistic I rotated the image so that it appears upside down at the base of the screen, so it shows the image giving the impression that I'm looking down from above. Shows left & right in a more simple display. Can't quite see the bumper but if the object goes out of sight it is time to stop.... about 2 ft to go. I also have 4 sensors which were there when I bought the 'van, they go into a long bleep with 3ft to go so together it all works very well, as I know what the thing is bleeping about. I also think I may consider another power source as reversing is not the only time that the camera would be useful. Good points Clive, as you say, too useful to keep just for reversing. Keep an eye on your motor bike trailer..

In time I will wire my new camera in so that I can use it for rear view as well but I have to say that setting it up, as a wireless system, to the reversing light was much quicker that when I wired the system into our old van with all the hassle of feading through and drilling panels.

My primary reason for fitting a camera in the first place was to make sure that I didn't run any kids over on camp sites or reverse over a motorcyclist if I had gone to far into a forecourt to find the right pump and so what I have put in more than ticks those particular boxes.

For the future I will probably power the camera from the unused awning light switch on the habitation control panel-it's the nearest controllable feed to it. I know where the wire needs to be run and it will be fairly easy to do.

Surely common sense dictates that it's bound to be easier to install a 'wireless' rear-viewing camera system than the conventional 'wired' type?

Even if you choose to power the camera from an ignition-controlled source rather than a reversing light, nobody can tell me it's just as easy threading a long continuous piece of thickish multi-core video/audio cable with a hefty plug on each end from front to back in a motorhome as it is to feed a thin piece of 12V wire that you can 'make and break' anywhere along the route. (Well, that's if you want to be tidy of course - I suppose you could just leave the video/audio cable lying on the motorhome's floor if you felt like it!)

Archived