DRAIN COVERS-WARNING

PSHORT

I am probably not the first but beware of parking your motorcaravan overnight

in your drive above a normal domestic drain cover. Due partly to a drop in temperature making the cover more brittle the cover broke with the weight

of the van. Luckily no damage to the van(3500 GW) as the front wheel(where the weight is) was only just on the cover so I could just manage to drive out. I was told domestic drain covers only take 1.5ton I have replaced it with a 12.5ton cover.

Guest Tracker

There are several grades of manhole cover ranging from pedestrian only right up to max hgv weight for use on roads. You might be able to just replace the lid with a heavier grade one but more likely it will involve replacing the lid and frame if you want to upgrade.

As a diy bodge we once reinforced a pedestrian only galvanised lid by bolting angle iron bracing to the underside.

Many thanks Tracker I did have to replace cover and frame. I think

12.5tons will do the trick. As when I turn my Morello round in the drive

it is only by driving over the cover. Now no worries but people should

be aware of potentially an expensive oversight

Thanks

Paul

FEW YEARS AGO WE USED TO VISIT MY MUM ON A TYPICAL HOUSING ESTATE IN A MERCEDES 307 3.5 TON.HER DRIVE CROSSES THE PATH AND A DRAIN COVER IN IT.ONE DAY MUM CAME HOME TO FIND THE COUNCIL REPLACING IT WITH ONE RATED AT 40 TON! A NIEGHBOUR HAD PHONED THE COUNCIL TO REPORT US VISITING IN A LORRY.FUNNY THING IS WE NEVER PARKED ON HER DRIVE COS IT WAS TOO NARROW FOR OUR VAN,WOULDNT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO OPEN DOORS

Archived