2.8JTD Automatic?

neillking

Hi all, anyone know anything about the <06 Ducato auto box and in particular driving experiences and typical fuel consumption in an a-class? I'm familiar with autos having had several larger cars with them and have experienced the whole range from very thirsty right through to more economical than the equivalent manual(!). I've no experience or knowledge though of an auto on a 3.5-4t vehicle. And yes they do exist but may all be LHD. Any reports, links, etc., very welcome! The ones I can afford are likely to be 2004-2005 so we're not really talking new model here except maybe in a comparative sense.

Best regards, Neill.

PS: I tried searching and am now very familiar with both no-match and server-error!

I'm not sure there is ever an answer.

I don't know the Ducato but referring to fuel consumption My reckoning is that a lot depends on the driver.

Look at the manufactures technical details and you may find that they produce their consumption figures based on factory test speeds of say 56mph.

To achieve the highest fuel consumption the driver should then follow the factory data. Higher speed = less mpg. This also follows when moving away from corners etc.

I assume having several autos you know this but some may not. I reckon modern engines are not run in until 20,000 mls at least. That will take me another 8 years to achieve.

In between I don't bother with the mpg. The cheapest way is to leave it on the driveway.

When I get calls from people offering to save me money I always tell them I have a much better way, 'only use it half as much'

LB

Hi Neillking, I have automatics as following several strokes my left leg is not very good. Preloved Automatic motorhomes are as rare as hens teeth, My last one was a VW 2.4 turbo auto Autotrail, not very good performance and quite thirsty. I now have a Ford Transit 2.5 non turbo Autosleeper Legend. Goes very well and does about 30 MPG on good motor ways and 'A' roads. Aerodinamics has a lot of influence on fuel consumption. My Legend is very streamlined being of monocoque fibre glass moulded construction, where as the autotrail was square built standard coach built construction. Even driving with the cab windows open can add something like 20% to the drag, as can top boxes etc. Changing down manually at the start of a steep hill also helps so the engine does not have to work hard. Your right foot will get the 'feel' after a short while. There are a few good tips on "Fuels Gold" posts a couple of months ago. Welcome to the Forum, You don't have to be a 'nut case' but it does help......PS The Renault Master auto is reported to be very good.............

neillking:

I'm certain that no 2.8JTD-engined Ducatos with automatic gearbox were produced in RHD, and they would be pretty rare in LHD.

I believe the gearbox itself was traditional, being 4-speed + reverse with a torque converter, and I vaguely remember a motorhome test report (I think in Which Motorcaravan) saying that it was a delight to use, being much smoother in operation than the Mercedes Sprintshift 'auto-manual' gearbox.

Because of the gearbox design, I would expect overall fuel consumption to be noticeably higher (15%?) than that of a motorhome with the 2.8JTD motor + 5-speed manual 'box.

Thanks for all that. Although less common than manual the auto box is not that rare in Germany, I've seen 3 for sale this year with the particular layout I want (which in itself is far from common). The aerodynamics are fixed by the Hymer a-class design and yes I'm aware of the effects of the right foot. Autos are not always thirsty outside town - and I'm a country boy by inclination. Some years ago the Scorpio returned better mpg in auto form, this was both on official figures and in practice - I had one. That's not necessarily the same in all autos though and doesn't really give much insight into an auto 4-tonner. The only real world feedback I have so far is from someone who spends a lot of time in cities and at 80mph between them, he gets 20-22mpg in his auto B644G which is no surprise in those circumstances. I currently have a 2.8TDi (no J) Luton style coachbuilt with a manual box and I get 20-22 if pushing it on motorways, but 28+/- when relaxing in rural areas.

Hello again Neillking, do you actually want an automatic, or do you wish to drive with no clutch pedal? Why I ask is because if it is the latter do you know that T.B.Turbos can fit an electric clutch operated by hand via a switch on the gear handle. I was going to get one of these when I found that I could only drive automatics, I was given a demonstration at one of the shows, it seemed very good and of course with the economy of a manual.

Archived