Oh and another stupid question

Hopesy

Sorry about another stupid question but you lot give such good answers.

The radio/cd player on the new model peugeot boxer has an AUX setting. Normally this means that there is a headphone type socket somewhere like the glove box in cars. Is there one on the van and if not can one be fitted so i can use my MP3 on th elong trips through France.

Hi Roger and welcome to the forum. If your radio CD unit has an auxiliary input it will either be a 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the front or a pair of RCA sockets on the back. Its unlikely that anyone has thought ahead and fitted an accessible socket on the glovebox although that shouldn't be difficult to do.

D.

Hi,

If your radio is a blaupunkt then it is likely that it will have a socket in the back for the mp3 lead. I bought a lead for mine it cost about £9.00 from my local blaupunkt dealer. They will usually pop the radio out for you and plug the cable in. I routed mine through to the left hand dash pocket and coiled it up when not in use. it works well regards Geoff

Hi,

For all of you out there . I bought a little FM transmitter ( from comet )that plugs into your Ipod, laptop, tv earphone socket. you then tune your car/van radio into it and you can listen to them through you car/van speakers.

The no of campers you listen through those tinny laptop speakers is amazing.

Richard

We also looked for the MP3 connection - stated as being available on our MH radio - connection proved to be at the back of the unit and had already been used for something else in the MH - I think it was the Freeview or DVD player, so we had nowhere to fix it. (unlike a cheap radio in our car with a "jackpoint" in the front.)

We purchased two wireless gizmos like the previous answer and the one we use in the MH works brilliantly - even with the ipod shut in the glove box compartment out of site. The only problem we had was when passing close to a Navy radio mast at Portsmouth! (We got 2 so we can use them in our own cars at any time) They can also be used at home by tuning your FM radio(s) to the same frequency as set on the gizmo, and will play on all radios throughout the house - amazing (and cheap!) - great for parties..... :->

I found a couple of problems with those FM transmitter gizmos for iPods (I use one, or did)

1) In the crowded airwaves both in the UK and on the continent, it's hard to find a 'vacant' frequency.

2) When/if you do find such a frequency, as you drive through a region you start to receive a radio station allocated to that freq. so it doesn't stay free for long, hence it becomes unuseable!

3) The idea is you have to find another 'vacant' frequency but this is tiresome and, unless your passenger does it while you are on the move, can be potentially dangerous.

IMO, they're only good for static locations.

Thanks for the warning Pete - do you think we would get the same problem if we use an ipod specific connection which plugs into the cigar lighter?

We did think about fitting another cheap radio with a jack plug pont in the front in the spare place under the MH fitted radio but the link to the MH speakers would not work unless we could somehow fit 2 radios to one set of speakers... 8-) So I guess I will have to fiddle with the thing whilst hubby drives.... :-|

I'm not sure about that one, Catinou. If you mean using an iPod charger from the cig. lighter, then through an FM transmitter, you'll have the same problem as I described.

Some radio manufacturers make MP3 adapters for their radios. Panasonic, for example, make an adapter that slots directly into the CD slot. I'm thinking of checking these out.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PP

Archived