Fiat 2.8JTD performance

Guest Brian Lawrence

Guest Brian Lawrence
I have recently brought a 2 year old Swift Suntor 630L with just 6K miles under her bonnet.The power plant is a 2.8JTD which I have read so much about in the past and always longed to own a motorhome with this engine and now I do.I am absolutely delighted with the vehicle overall but I have to say the performance is a little lacklustre.My previous motorhome was a Swift royale with a peugeot 2.5TD which went like the wind.when you pulled away and reached,I guess about 1500 rpm the turbo would kick in and you really took off.I dont get this sensation at all with the 2.8JTD.It accelerates well and cruises at 70 no trouble at all but i miss that turbo kick ! Am I being a bit naive perhaps. Obviously the vehicle is a lot heavier than the royale and with only 6k on the clock some would say it's not even run in yet.There must be loads of you out there with this power plant. Whats your experience of it ?

Guest peter gilpin
I have a Fiat 2.8 turbo in a Burstner 625 low profile. I fitted a Disel Tuning PSI Power Box wich has boosted the bhp to 161 bhp and my last to 500 mile plus trips have returned 38 mpg hard to believe but true.

Guest Tony Hunt
I have a Bessacarr 745 low profile fitted with this engine. I have just covered 10,000 miles and recently had it chipped up to 150 bhp by Essenjay in Poole. This has definatly made a difference to the pulling power, especially up hills. Pulling a 4 wheel trailer with a small car aboard we return a consistent 22 mpg. A friend with an identical unit pulling a car behind on an A frame achieved 2 mpg more than me. These figures were achieved travelling on motorways strictly adhering to the speed limits whilst towing. Seems hard to believe that 38 to the gallon.

Brian 6000 miles on a diesel engine is most definately NOT run in yet. After a sensible 20 000 miles things will be loosening up nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
If this is such a pokey engine why chip it up? Dare I mention the additional stress on that outboard, frequently under lubricated 5th gear? And the manufacturers warranty now you have gone public that its been got at. Oops! If the engine was good for this extra power without contraveening the new vehicle emission regulations surely the manufactures would change the ECU to provide it as standard as a selling feature. Would I ??

Archived