Mixed feelings

LordThornber

In line with the recent threads concerning poor quality vans and/or dealer service, I'll just drop this one in for your perusal.

A colleague of mine bought from Todds near Preston, a new 2007 van. Now here's the mixed feelings bit. The van has been back to the dealer countless times for what she refers to as"really annoying and frustrating bit & bobs" None of the faults were able to be fixed by her more than capable other half. One fault included the bed structure collapsing and her hurting her back.

Todds have been excellent with their service, her words not mine. Although my experience of Todds service is excellent too.

But here's the rub, all (or many) of the minor/medium/major faults could and should have been ironed out at the factory. But they weren't, and now my colleague is having to make regular trips back & forth to the dealer. Some may argue that PDI should have identified these faults, but I (and my colleague), believe the factory is where the responsibility lies.

So much so that she has decided to trade the van in when it's 2 yrs old.

Martyn

Well I too am slightly astounded by how many complaints there seem to be around at present.

It sounds like quality is being substituted for demand. Unless the MH industry gets it act together I see problems ahead. I for one have been completely put off buying new.

There also does not seem to be any particular dealer/convertor responsible, it seems to be the majority are not getting it right. 30-50k is a lot to splash out and it appears very risky at present.

Guest JudgeMental

My Euramobil has had a few minor problems which have been sorted quickly and efficently by dealer. the only one that took a few goes to resolve was a leaking garage door. the door was not fitted correctly and should never have left the factory.

I am amazed at the stick that poor chap with the SWIFT van has received over on another forum for having the audacity for turning up late to collect camper thus not getting a proper handover.....

As you say, where is the factory quality control or the dealership PDI inspection. lacking I fear in all these cases.

It would be interesting to know if there is any form of quality control as the van comes off the assembly line and out into the despatch yard. Car manufactures employ quality control personel and check a full list of things. All though not all cars are perfect when reaching the showrooms, they certainly dont have doors that wont shut, or rain leaking in. It would also be interesting to see what the quality would be like if say Toyota decided to build motorhomes.

"Car manufactures employ quality control personel and check a full list of things. All though not all cars are perfect when reaching the showrooms, they certainly dont have doors that wont shut, or rain leaking in. It would also be interesting to see what the quality would be like if say Toyota decided to build motorhomes."

You cannot "inspect" quality into products.

You can only pick up SOME bits of poor quality by inspection.

The difference between a European and specifically a UK built motorhome and say one built by Toyota would be the culture of the workforce.

Even Korean workers have a culture which puts ours to shame. Care is taken by everybody at every stage to make it right.

When Clarky now admits that the likes of Kia produce quality cars the writing must surely be on the wall.

Why is it that us brits have to be on the wrong end of a war before we finally decide to pull our fingers out and do something about it?

C.

Clive- It would appear to me that culture can be "learned" in this particular subject, why else would the likes of Nissen and Toyota spend millions of pounds setting up assembly lines in this country, not because its just closer to export to europe, but because they train the workforce on how they want things doing, and are pleased with the results, and the workforce are happy also for working for turning out top quality products. Its so easy to run down our own workers, but they only need the right leadership and investment IMO.

Archived