Essential Buying Guide

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

The mods have chosen to freeze their original posting on this topic - dunno why?

It is quite a good article if you are inexperienced and well worth a read as part of your multi faceted research before writing that very big cheque.

I don't want to be overly critical of a feature designed to help us, but the section on test drives ought to mention reversing a big vehicle in general and reversing up a steep hill or driveway in particular.

Personally, I think it was a sensible idea to freeze the "Essential Buying Guide" thread.

Every forum member who has bought a motorhome is likely to be able to add some snippet of advice to the generalisations included in the Guide. Tracker's reversing-related comment presumably spins off the now heavily-publicised Fiat defect, but one might also mention that 'co-drivers' should also try out the vehicle and that driving a large LHD without prior experience may well prove daunting. Then there's the fact that the information in the "Common Base Vehicles" section is clearly behind the times...

I'm not suggesting the Buying Guide thread has no merit (though the "Buying a Secondhand Motorhome" piece published each month in MMM is decidedly more up to date), just that, if it's left 'open' to forum comments - constructive or comical - then it's going to dilute its credibility and value.

Really, I would have thought this subject, plus several of the other threads frozen at the head of the forum page, should go into the FAQ section (or has that been given the chop recently?)

Archived