what are you doing this summer!

Guest JudgeMental

If all goes to plan, Peterborough next week then on to meet the family in Cleethorpes. Lakes in June, then July a friend from Australia is flying in to Frankfurt and renting a motorhome for 4 weeks. Another friend from Moscow is joining us and we are all off to Prague first then back through Germany, few days near Paris (anyone any ideas of a site) thought we may go to Versailles. After that depends on if we have any time left.

August we must be back for our daughters wedding (or else).

Hope you all have fun this summer. and not too much juddering.

JudgeMental - 2008-04-17 3:19 PM we are oft to Italy again to lake Garda as kids loved it so much last year. will spend about a week touring down through the Alsace/Germany/ Switzerland. then two weeks on lake at camping Forenella and 3-4 days meandering back up... what is everyone planning

Nice Thread - Judgmental.

End August & best part of Sept, we're off to Germany again. Bavaria & Black Forest here we come.

Until then it's as many week-ends that we can get away in, trying to get as much Fly-fishing done as possible this year, so sites near lakes or even overnights at certain lakes  we know here in the UK.

Looking at going back to my birthplace- Thailand - around crimble period. Dec  to mid Jan if time and work schedules permit.

Thai

im off to Whitemead forest park in the forest of dean in August, the mother in law is coming with us so ive booked a log cabin for her, im taking the other hound,"BUSTER" he is a nine year old black lab. i would love to go abroad in the van again but the dogs too old for kennels and i dont think he would look forward to having an electronic device shoved into his neck. Has any one been to the Whitemead forest park, if so what was your opinion????

I wish all a happy holiday

BRIAN

We’re off into France May/June, we intend to travel up to Holland – hubby wants to see the big barrage across the sea at the top, then we might possibly loop into Germany before going into Belgium/France. But hubby has just had the bright idea of doing a bit of Denmark … I think that’s a bit tooooooo far for a 2 week holiday though! We’ve also got the chunnel booked for August/September (2 weeks again) but haven’t a clue yet where we’ll be going! Might hit the Dusseldorf show again. We’ve still got some holiday time in hand so we will probably have a week or so in the UK but not a clue where.

Sooty10 – there is a site at Paris, its called the Bois de Boulogne, it’s very close to the Paris itself so you can easily get public transport (there’s a regular bus from the site itself), or you can peddle in and around it as we did last year. It used to be in the ACSI scheme but last year it wasn’t anymore but that might be due to the fact that it needed quite a bit of TLC, we only stayed for a couple of nights as that was all we wanted.

Brian P – the electronic thing for the dog is easy peasy, they notice it much less (if at all) than a normal injection as these tend to sting as the liquid goes in. We took our dog Piggy on holiday abroad until she was 16, she loved it.

Brian

Whitemead in the F o D is a great site. plenty of things to do and a swimming pool. As we only live about an hour away from the forest we go there often. there is a lovely CL worcester lodge in the forest which we use several times a year out from the site into the forest lovely walkes or for mountain bikes you shold enjoy it very much

Maureen

Reading all the above accounts of trips to mainland Europe makes our plans seem pretty mundane.

We retired and bought our first “House on Wheels” almost four years ago and since then have been visiting the many parts of Scotland we never had time to get to while wage slaves.

We’re not long home after a few days in the Cairngorm National Park -the snow was beautiful and at the end of the month are heading for Clachtoll, Durness and the north coast. Then in mid May we go to the Trossachs (wife has a school reunion in Callander). Three very laid back weeks in Zakynthos, Greece in mid June/early July (sans van). A couple of weeks back home undertaking remedial horticulture and then off up north again for a week or more. Back to Greece in early September for a couple of weeks and after we return we want to fit in a trip south of Hadrian’s wall to Avon via the lake District and fit in a diversion to Cambridge. After that we’ll try to fit in another trip or two to our “unexplored” Scotland before we end the season in mid to late November with a trip or two back up to the Cairngorms.

Apart from hill walking and biking our new sport is SKIing (Spending the Kids’ Inheritance).!

:-D

Hello Dave, well we are off to "our" usual place in The Dordogne, see it at the link below. We found this place 4 years ago and just can't get away from it. We both know staying in one place for a long stretch defeats the object of one of the main benefits of a motorhome, i.e. the ability to move around at will without too much difficulty, but what the heck.

http://www.camping-bourniou.com/

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental

we walked around this site a few years ago as we were camping nearby... a nice location and we said we would try it in the future when in the area again

But a bit to basic for my demanding teenagers lol

Judge, yes it is a nice spot although I can understand that it wouldn't suit those with older children.

Last year a large number of youths from all across Europe stayed for a fortnight, they were Martial Arts enthusiasts who gave a free show each week, it was very interesting and their commitment was good to see in these days of beleagured teens.

As an aside, I recommended the site to a colleague a couple of years ago and she visited last year.

Only for it to rain almost non stop for the 4 days she was there..

Martyn

Two weeks today should see us in Salzburg for 3 days, then Vienna for 6 days returning home via 3 days in Prague which is a new one for us. This will be our third visit to S'burg & Vienna, love the culture!!

Where ever you go have a great time, enjoy it & safe trip both directions.

Hi Dave, Like you we major on Scotland and it's fantastic when the sun shines. Trips lined up so far this year include: Lochgilphead (good site for local trips to Kilmartin Glen, Crinan & Tayvallich). Islay -for the whisky festival (lol) , jazz festival at Kirkcudbright, New England Bay in Galloway (fantastic bird sanctuary at the mull and Logan Botanical Gardens), a long trip up the west coast to Cape Wrath, another jazz festival at Callander and a few more places in between.

Awra best from www.butejazz.com

Dave, there's absolutely nothing "mundane" about touring in the UK. Up till now that's all we've done, only a couple of weeks ago we had a long weekend in Mid Wales where we were treated to daily displays of Red Kites and Buzzards soaring overhead. The icing on the cake was on the Saturday when I took Dex (our dog) for a walk up a mountain and saw (and managed to photograph) not only the kites and buzzards but a sparrowhawk as well. Stunning scenery, magnificent wildlife and all only sixty five miles from home! The Uk, and Scotland especially, has plenty to offer to motorhomers, go out and enjoy it all (lol) .

D.

We're clearing off for a once in a lifetime trip this summer to places we've never been before, to places we'll probably never go again, and I'm starting to wonder about the wisdom of a summer without western Scotland, and Cornwall, and worst of all, a summer without the freedom of the fells.

Time will tell, but we have this feeling that nothing anyhwere can quite match western Scotland for motorhoming.

Hi all

Our trip starts June 27, Seafrance Dover to Calais in the evening and the night in Etaple's or something like that (just outside Calais)

We then cross Belguim and Luxenburg for a stop over just across the border in Germany, next day into Switzerland and a night stop over and into Italy and the lakes for the forth night. Two, three or four nights here and then on to the east coast heading south for a day or two swinging back inland to Florance for a couple of nights, down to Rome for a couple more then up the west coast to Pissa. That should leave us about a week of our 23 day's left to follow our noses back through France maybe staying at the site we stayed at last year near Vallance for a night or two as we enjoyed the quietness of this site in September and are wondering if we will have the pool to ourselves again in July (I very much doubt it). We need to be back at Calais for the ferry around lunch time on the 21st July

We are also going over again although not so far down for a week in September and will no doubt have many weekends throughout the year in the UK although the only one booked so far is a CC do @ Bovington on the first May bank holiday

Hope you all enjoy your trips and who knows maybe we will meet up some where exotic some day

Geof

Guest JudgeMental
AndyStothert - 2008-04-20 5:45 PM

We're clearing off for a once in a lifetime trip this summer to places we've never been before, to places we'll probably never go again, and I'm starting to wonder about the wisdom of a summer without western Scotland, and Cornwall, and worst of all, a summer without the freedom of the fells.

Time will tell, but we have this feeling that nothing anyhwere can quite match western Scotland for motorhoming.

Yeah But...were you going? :-D

Dave Tayside - 2008-04-19 10:16 PM

Reading all the above accounts of trips to mainland Europe makes our plans seem pretty mundane.

What matters, Dave, is that you're doing WHAT YOU WANT TO DO - and that's what having a motorhome is all about! Enjoy yourselves.

Tony Jones - 2008-04-22 9:37 AM

What matters, Dave, is that you're doing WHAT YOU WANT TO DO - and that's what having a motorhome is all about! Enjoy yourselves.

Just after I retired I met a former colleague who asked "But what do you do?" My reply was "Whatever we want" !

Retirement with a "House on Wheels" is the best job ever :-D

Had the 'van 6 months now and been away loads already including ten days in snowy lake district. First time abroad in July to the French Alps and can't wait.

Now I've encountered a serious problem with motorhome holidaying, we've got just over three weeks off in September and we've changed our minds umpteen times about where to go.............. think I'll just book the ferry and see where we end up.

we had planned to head for the rhone alpes in may but the £/euro means it will cost at least £100 more so will probably head for the lake district.

it,s not cost but value.

tomorrow heading for our fav site in the purbecks,near corfe castle for a long weekend, it will take at least 30mins of hard driving before i get a cold one :D :D :D

What we try to do is one year in UK then the other abroad, last year was Morocco/Spain/France. This year at the moment we are enjoying every moment of our trip up the West Coast of Scotland (Argyler last week called at New England Bay) from there we went to Port Logan where 2000 acres of Skye was filmed, its a tiny but beautiful little harbour just a village pub that does really good food, and they have a lovely little CL there which we missed. but would loved to have stopped at. Then we went to Portpatric another nice little port. Then on to Culzean Nationl Trust site, really enjoyed 3 days there you get 1/2 price into the Castle and the pass last for 7 days, worth a stop. Now we are at Ayr CC site a good site on the river, but we are looking forward to carrying on to Luss site at Lock Lomond. We will carry on touring West Coast Scotland until the end of June. Then come back for the Stratford show, then we will tour where ever the fancy takes us. The freedom motorhoming brings, is one of the pleasure of life, which I never take for granted, and just hope we can keep on for as long as possible.. Next year Ed is planning Italy & Greece we will need a lot of help of forum members for that one. Carol.

Guest JudgeMental
bigal55 - 2008-04-24 8:12 PM

tomorrow heading for our fav site in the purbecks,near corfe castle for a long weekend, it will take at least 30mins of hard driving before i get a cold one :D :D :D

one of our regular spots as well... we have stayed many times at burbake,Toms field and ulwell cottage. are you staying at site out towards Church knowle? can't remember the name....as we have never stayed there but love the food in pub in village....

JudgeMental - 2008-04-24 9:51 PM

one of our regular spots as well... we have stayed many times at burbake,Toms field and ulwell cottage. are you staying at site out towards Church knowle? can't remember the name....as we have never stayed there but love the food in pub in village....

hi judge ,

we are going to norden farm. it,s a working farm with a shop and toilet block, new, but you have to drive threw slurry to get to the campsite which puts people off, cc it isn.but it,s the closest site to corfe castle

Have booked eurostar. Have one month. First couple of nights in Ghent we think followed by Luxumbourg, Black orest of Germany and Switzerland if we have the time. Back up via Alsace Lorraine. If we don't change our minds that is!

we had planned to head for the rhone alpes in may but the £/euro means it will cost at least £100 more so will probably head for the lake district.

it,s not cost but value.

this plan may be reversed,today at midday my car was saying it was9c, the long range forcast,i know this can be as accurate as labours inflation rate,but it looks grim.

so we might take a hit on the wallet and head south.

Archived