Panel Van Conversions Security

Cattwg

I am considering having a security system installed in our camper - in addition to the factory fitted system. My main concern being theft of rather than theft from the camper.

Ours is a panel van conversion based on a year 2000, LWB Renault Master. However when I checked on the Thatcham website this base vehicle shows as having a 5-star "theft off" factory system. Also when browsing a car mechanics website the opinions seem to suggest that this system is so good that additional precautions would be superfluous.

I realise that the conversion (plastic windows etc.) makes the vehicle more vunerable to break-ins than a standard van, but as my concern is loss of the camper I am wondering if I am in danger of gilding the lilly.

Opinions and comments, especially those based on experiece with this type of base vehicle would be most welcome. Thank you.

Regards Cattwg

I have a van conversion based on a new model 2005 Renault Master. For the UK market this comes fitted with a sophisticated alarm system that alarms all the doors and has an internal motion sensor. It also has a setting (push down and hold the lock side on the key until you hear a bleep) that disarms the motion sensor so you have a perimeter alarm for use at night. It does not have a glass breakage sensor, however.

I consulted Eddie of Van Bitz and he told me that he could not add to the existing system so I would have to have a completely new system installed if I wanted any extra protection (e.g., glass beakage sensor, trailer fitting, louder alarm, etc.). I decided that the Renault system was more than adequate.

Mel E

====

Dave and Mel after reading your replies, given from first hand knowledge and consulting the Thatcham website I have decided that the Renault immobilizer and alarm system is as good as I can get.

Libby I don't think rotor arms are employed in diesel engines.

Thank you all for your replies.

Regards Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2008-04-19 11:07 PM

Dave and Mel after reading your replies, given from first hand knowledge and consulting the Thatcham website I have decided that the Renault immobilizer and alarm system is as good as I can get.

Libby I don't think rotor arms are employed in diesel engines.

Thank you all for your replies.

Regards Cattwg :-D

i don't think rotor arms are used in any modern engine, petrol or diesel.

Petrol engine no longer use the distributor but have a sophisticated computer system instead. the type that suddenly start behaving in an odd manner and nobody in the trade has a clue how to correct (Some of the smaller Peugeots come to mine here).

Archived