Outer Hebrides

Mel E

We are planning on a trip to the Outer Hebrides in about 3 weeks' time. I know there are no camp sites and wild camping is acceptable.

Can anyone who's been there tell me if there are places to empty loo tanks/ cassettes?

Mel E

====

There are a few campsites. Stornoway has one, there's another on Benbecula called Shell Bay Caravan site.

Dump facilities available:

Ardmaree ferry terminal, Eriskay ferry terminal , Eoligarry public toilets on Barra ( about a mile from the excellent wild camping at Barra airstrip ).

We were there about two years ago, travelled from Stornoway in the north to Barra in the south. Excellent place to visit.

(I'm sure there are one or two other sites and if I remember where they are I'll come back ! )

We contacted Benbecula Council Offices who were very helpful with info.

Have a good trip ;-)

Guest Tracker

Yes Mel, at tourist information centres you can empty and refill and even get a hot shower for 50p (well you could in 2005!). In addition there are a few small and basic camp sites here and there and a few public conveniences where you can dump waste in an emergency.

Although I know I don't have to tell you about using common sense when camping off site Mel but just in case the unlikely event that anyone else should see this please don't park where you will be a nuisance, block gateways or access, spoil a house view etc etc. as you may well be moved on. In addition dumping waste 'in a quiet spot' when you think that no one is looking is also not acceptable and should not be done.

I hope that saying the above does not cause offence to an experienced old hand like what you are!

I found the people friendly and if I did see a local person I always asked if it was OK to stop overnight and it was never refused.

It is a beautiful and desolate in places land and the weather can be darned cold with some snow and lots of rain and wind a distinct possibility in May.

Hope that helps.

Mel, Yes, we did it last year, The cassette loo will have to emptied at public toilets, the other problem is water,make sure that you keep your tanks filled at ferry Terminals, and the (few and far between) garages.

ScottishCamping.com do a good map with all the 'Crofters Hostels' listed.and the Campsites. The Hostels all have nearby parking area's where a M/H can be parked for no cost.(a donation is welcome,if you can find someone to give it to ?) and you can fill up with water. We went from South to North with a Cal-Mac ' Island hopscotch' ticket

started at South Uist and ended up at Stornaway. We Loved It !!

Look for the 'Roads End Sculptures' ( I misheard and went looking for a 'Rodin' Sculpture !!!), The Corncrakes on Harris, Rheinigeadal hostel is remote and the journey 'Intresting' (just take it easy) , In short it's a 'Wild camping' M/home paradise. (if you get the good weather,which we did in May/June 2007). AND the Sunsets !!!!! have a great Time. :D

Camp sites we used:

Golden Sands campsite - few miles north of Stornoway on east coast at COL.

(Think there's also one in Stornoway).

On west coast of Lewis there's a site at SIABOST (or Shawbost)

South west of Stornoway, on west coast of Lewis is another site on the B8011 road at CNIP ( or Kneep).

Excellent wild camping at Horgabost on the west coast of Harris.

Can't agree with Rayjsj about the emptying at public toilets. We were there three weeks and always found dump stations, or facilities on a campsite.

Try phoning Benbecula Council on 01870-602425 ( or visit their website ) to obtain their leaflet for motorhomers and caravaners.

( I think the leaflet was available to read on-line).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived