Safeway dead locks ?

mikeamapola

Safeway dead locks ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest peter
mikeamapola - 2008-04-18 8:52 PM

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase some Safeway dead locks for my Fiat Ducato Adria Van ?

Many thanks

Mike

If you mean Safe Door, have a look here. This is where I got mine and they are v.good and easy to fit. I also fitted the Safe Door Guardian ones on the cab doors as well as the frame ones on the habitation and locker door.(one at top and bottom of habitationdoor). http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=fiamma-safe-door

Or if propper but very expensive deadlocks have a look here. http://www.harrisonlocks.co.uk/deadlocks.php

I bought the Safedoor, 3 door kit. There all off now. The fixing is between the door/opening and the frame. This was too narrow and resulted in damage to the seals and difficulty in opening.

If you are aware how easy it is to open a door, then you would not waste your money on these products.

Edit Which doors are you concerned about, habitation or cab?

Guest peter
sshortcircuit - 2008-04-18 10:30 PM

I bought the Safedoor, 3 door kit. There all off now. The fixing is between the door/opening and the frame. This was too narrow and resulted in damage to the seals and difficulty in opening.

If you are aware how easy it is to open a door, then you would not waste your money on these products.

Edit Which doors are you concerned about, habitation or cab?

Which products?.

Going slightly off topic, my concern has always been having the vehicle stolen rather than having items taken from it. There is no way a thief will be prevented from gaining access to a motorhome if he is determined and/or clever enough.

Having the motorhome ransacked is, I agree upsetting, annoying and any other adjective you care to mention but at least you still have 'a home'.

Have the vehicle stolen when in the middle of France/Spain/Italy etc and all you have it what you stand up in!

Regards Cattwg :-(

I've responded to this on the copy-inquiry that appears on the Hints and Tips forum.

(It was totally predictable that the Forum Administrator's illogical revision of the description of the purpose of the Hints and Tips forum was likely to result in double postings and I expect we shall see plenty more in future. Not your fault, Mike - the Hints and Tips forum is exactly where your dead-locks question should go under the revised 'rules', but, for maximum exposure, it continues to be the case that any motorhome-related inquiry is best posted to the Motorhome Matters forum.)

Guest JudgeMental
In addition to sshortcircuit's remarks above, I have read numerous reports on forums that these locks are not good and can cause damage. So I went for "heosafe" instead.......

A significant difference between the Fiamma and HEO products and the Safeways dead-locks is that the mechanism of the latter is unobtrusively installed within the cab- or caravan-door itself, with just a neat Yale-type key-plate visible externally.

As far as I can see, the Safeways locks can only be operated from outside the vehicle (like Fiamma's "Safe Door"), so you'd also need something like HEOSafe or Safe Door Guardian if you wanted to operate extra locks from within the motorhome. The only caravan-door dead-locks I'm aware of that allowed locking from either side of the door were "D-Lox" (I fitted them to my Herald), but I don't think they are still available.

Safeways dead-locks used to be regularly advertised in motorhome magazines, but (although the company is mentioned in MMM's 2008 A-to-Z Services Directory) I can't recall any adverts in recent years.

We bought a Brightlock for our habitation door which we find easy to use and unobtrusive and we can lock the door from the inside can access the We also have a strap to hold the cab doors closed. We have no extra security for all the other under floor access doors. Should We?

For those unfamiliar with the Brightlock security device, this is not a 'lock' as such, but a sturdy cover that can be locked over the original external door-handle of certain habitation doors. So, to secure the door from outside the motorhome, you'd need to engage the original handle-mounted lock then fit the Brightlock over the handle. For more details see:

http://www.brightlock.com/

minstrel:

The attraction of adding security devices to motorhomes depends IMHO on the owner's perception of (and attitude to) risk. Adding a Brightlock protects the lock beneath it and is likely to act as a visible disincentive to the casual thief armed with a small screwdriver. However, as the original locking mechanism remains unchanged, the door remains vulnerable to more aggressive attacks, (eg. use of a large crow-bar) that MIGHT be resisted by supplementary dead-bolts.

I think motorcaravanners tend to forget (or prefer to overlook the fact) that criminals don't much care how they gain entry to a vehicle. Obviously, if the doors aren't locked or the locks are feeble, the doors will be the entry-points they'll prefer to use. But, even if the doors are heavily 'thief-proofed', given time, opportunity and inclination, thieves won't think twice about causing major damage (for what's usually a small financial reward) by prising open external lockers or windows. Any motorhome anti-theft security device will be better than none, but, for total protection, one would really need to own something like a Securicor armoured truck.

Hi,

I knew I had read this thread ealier but answered a similar one on the Hits and tips forum :-S

We are happy with the Safeways deadlocks ok they are a bit of a chore to walk round the van locking them whenever we park up but I've got into the routine - 30 seconds locking is better than finding the doors forced (lol)

Derek - thanks for putting the link in B-) there's a link to the deadlocks page at the bottom left menu of our homepage.

Steve

Archived