The ideal layout for me.....

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

I have a camper with large garage and large king size bed above, it has plenty of head room and not at all claustrophobic like a lot of vans with this layout.... but I have alway preferred the longitudinal bed with bathroom next to it in back and a L shaped kitchen slightly forward. I will try and attach an image....

But the problem with this layout is lack of storage. Why on earth does not some one do this layout with a higher bed giving more practical storage. I am sure it would be popular or am I missing something *-)

8599_27.JPG.fa1f48f5c979ae05e244cb5fee8cce83.JPG

I see the attraction of a longtitudinal bed but surely they are usually narrower and if set rather higher there might be a problem with steps to climb in.

I myself would rather not have a rear fixed bed, with the overcab bed space over the cab is utilised and if one person wakes in the night we find the other one does also so that's not a problem either.

I saw on the website a Frankia low profile with a drop down bed over the cab, I think perhaps that's very unusual.

Guest JudgeMental
Minstrel - 2008-04-19 1:04 PM

I saw on the website a Frankia low profile with a drop down bed over the cab, I think perhaps that's very unusual.

yes until now I think so, Bursner have a new low profile as well with front drop down bed giving two doubles....

but IMO these layouts do not offer enough storage for 4

We have got an Adria 660sp LHD with a fixed bed and a HUGE garage underneath which is heated as well. There is enough space between the bed and the ceiling not to feel closed in.

Unfortunately it is up for sale due to health reasons.

Kind regards

Maddie

Guest JudgeMental
Maddie - 2008-04-19 3:32 PM

We have got an Adria 660sp LHD with a fixed bed and a HUGE garage underneath which is heated as well. There is enough space between the bed and the ceiling not to feel closed in.

Unfortunately it is up for sale due to health reasons.

Kind regards

Maddie

dont quite see what this has to do with thread....

you have been trying to sell this camper for a long time. whats the problem? have you tried autotrader/flea bay/MMM or are you looking for to much money..... *-)

WE have a burstner a class with the layout you describe and show, and we find more than enough storage, in fact we hardly use the basement,

This is our third new M/H and can find no fault with the layout at all. We have had 4 adults in it for seven days and again no problems.

Guest JudgeMental
Maddie - 2008-04-19 4:54 PM

Sorry, Judgemental, what I meant was that we have enough space above and below the fixed bed !!

That's all. Maddie

no need to be sorry? trying to be helpful thats all - simply don't understand why you are having a problem selling such a popular van......

well as for storage with four of us. all I can say is you must travel very frugally.... there is no way we would get all we presently take in that layout - some items wouldn't even fit though exterior door.... 4 biles/barbaque/ spare chest fridge/ table 4 chairs/ beach stuff/mats/ silver screens etec etc.... the list goes on..... :-D

A LHD is always a little more difficult to sell than a RHD. But I have been messed about and let down 2 x at the last minute, with people who could not get the money together.

But thanks anyhow for your concern.

Maddie

JudgeMental:

I think that, if a motorhome to your suggested design were actually built, despite its theoretical attractions regarding storage, etc., it would look pretty odd, with the large bed-unit dominating the interior living area, and the high bed and 'garage' beneath producing an unattractive combination of windows and doors in the side of the motorhome.

Our Hobby's layout is similar to that shown in your photo and the minimum height of the longitudinal bed is constrained by the Truma C-Series heater under it. Despite being as low as it's possible for the mattress to go, my wife still complains about it being overly high compared with the bed at home.

As minstrel points out, it's also the case that longitudinal beds in the layout you like are always relatively narrow (something else my wife moans about), otherwise the adjoining bathroom would be unusable. While it's easy to fit a fixed king-size bed crossways in the rear of a motorhome with a width of around 2.30m, it would be impossible to locate an equivalent size bed longways without increasing the vehicle's width considerably.

I've no idea about how popular your favoured layout would be generally, but we wouldn't want it.

Currently our perfect 'van would have a rear U shaped lounge, amidships bathroom and kitchen, swivelling passenger seat, low profile cab and be well under six metres. Just like the Elddis Autoquest 115 (I think it was :D ). But who knows, in five years time our perfect 'van might be a permanent rear bed 6.5 Tonne behemoth :-S, like Clive wants :D !

D.

Guest JudgeMental

I take on board all comments and will stay with our current layout for a few years I think. We would miss the storage and the king size beds......probably leave change till kids stop coming which should be a year or two

I really wanted the low roof Terrestra from EuraMobil.but will wait for a X250 type 2:-D and for something to happen with the Euro exchange rate (maybe a long wait). My camper is over £5000 more at moment due to poor exchange rate *-)

Archived