Lone travellers

Jude

Hi I have been a caravanner and then motorcaravanner for many years, and travel each summer down to the South of France by autoroute. I am now separated and this year have decided to travel down alone, though there will be a succession of relatives and friends joining me. I just wondered if there were any other women out there who have travelled across France alone, and have any tips?

Hi Jude, I am a lone woman who is contemplating travelling to South of France this year - all being well at this end - but with my daughter this time. I hope you don't mind if later on when I know I am definitely able to go I contac you - thinking of Port Grimaud.

I cannot comment on any tips for you in France but I know that when I go off occasionally alone and wild camp I always make sure that my van is parked facing the drive-off (no need to reverse), so should an emergency happen I can hopefully get out.... also I always wear pajamas when sleeping out, as opposed the nuddy, for the same reason.

Also, at night keep the curtains drawn so that prying eyes don't know there is only you in there. Keep your alarm on at night - I know it is a pain when you get up in a morning open the door for the beautiful scenery and the siren makes you know you forgot to switch it off 8-) but it is better safe than sorry.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Please let us know. Joy

Gosh aren't there a lot of us 'flying' solo on here!

I haven't been brave enough to travel abroad yet in 'Shirley' - perhaps we could get a convoy going?

One tip I was given:

If you have silver screens for insulation, get the internal ones so that you can up-sticks without getting out of the van in the event of a problem.

How lovely to get replies - thank you. I have driven all the way before but with a female friend - we used to stop on Aires but one year got broken into in the night, and our money and credit cards stolen from the cab - while we were sleeping so I now always stop on sites.

But still not sure how secure I shall feel - both on sites and when getting diesel. Apart from that, as long as van doesn't break down I'll be fine.

Wouldn't think twice about doing it in this country so feel a bit silly feeling that people are necessarily more threatening because I'm in a different country! Guess I'm further from people I know though, who could help in an emergency. I just love the travel by motorcaravan though, and am not going to give it up because I'm now alone. Think wild camping alone was very brave! I went to Port Grimaud with a friend in the autumn, good weather and shortened the winter. Keep the messages coming!

Just come back from 'the big trip' to New Zealand, met several ladies travelling on their own and obviously having a whale of a time, but not many men on their own - at least not obviously - the big turn off when not camping is of course the single room rip off

have fun girls,

Bloody good luck girls!

Get yourself organised and nominate a first nights stop this side of the channel to meet up and get organised.

Go in convoy.

Get some CB radio,s fitted first so you can keep in touch.

(We did when the MMM team went to Dussledorf) Brilliant fun.

If you have sat nav,s agree each day which one you will use. They don,t always agree with each other.

C.

Ladies

I hope if you do go you have a safe and enjoyable trip

If you do not want to go the whole hog with CB's why not think about hand held walkie talkies, although they would not have the range of a CB they are cheaper. You might also want to think about France Passion where your "host" is on the "site" all night, the parking is "free" just the joining fee and you get to see a little of the french way even if they do attemt to sell there wares, you can always say no. We stayed on several last year on our first trip with a MH and found our "host's" very friendly and accomadating, no high pressure sale but invites to see there wares. The chilled cider at one stop was very welcome on a hot afternoon/evening and the small bottle of Brandy at another went well in the after dinner coffee on the rest of the trip.

Enjoy

Geof

Hi, even to the men out there who might be letting their imagination and fantasies run away with them! Bless!

Don't think convoy would work but nice idea. Liked the song! Always quite fancied being a trucker.

Geoff, what's France Passion, please?

Jude

France passion, best way for me to describe is it is a large group of farms and vinyards spread across France, they let you stay on there land for free although they do try to sell you there goods as I said, but those we stopped at did not put us under any pressure to buy. You pay a one off fee per year, this year I think it is 28 euro's, they will send you a booklet full of address's and contact names and numbers and a sticker for your windscreen with 08 on it to denote this year. If you have a copy of the April MMM there is a write up about it starting on page 27. The website for France Passion is www.francepassion.com then click on English

Hope this helps and you have fun in France whatever you do

Geof

Thanks, Geof,

That's really interesting. Will bear it in mind.

What surprises me is that there have not been many replies from lone travellers! There must be many of us who love motorcaravanning, who find themselves separated or bereaved, and as a consequence alone.

What have others done? Yes I have and do invite a friend along, but sometimes it just isn't suitable or desirable.

I actually am finding that at times I quite like being alone - surely others feel the same - so are you out there, and have you gone across France in your motorcaravan?

Lone lady travellers reminds me of one we met in the Outer Hebrides a couple of years ago.

She had a small campervan but always took her pot plants from her garden with her.

First job on each site - line the plants up along the side of the van and give them some water.

I'm sure you will enjoy your travels ladies - good luck !

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2008-04-23 4:22 PM

She had a small campervan but always took her pot plants from her garden with her.

First job on each site - line the plants up along the side of the van and give them some water.

Well, honestly... although I won't say it! :-D

Actually you've resurrected a memory of days past here. Many years ago in Joinville, in the days when we were caravanners and had a young family, a lone lady in a small campervan asked if she could park close to us. She explained her husband had died and felt safer parking next to other British on a site. We got chatting and as it was our wedding anniversary, we invited her in to share a bottle with us. She told us how after her husband died she wanted to carry on going to France in her campervan - how she got cold feet but her daughter who lived in the South of England suggested she came as far as them and then decided if she felt brave enough to go further. She did and then ended up continuing into France. If anyone out there knows that lady, I'd like her to know that years later, she has encouraged me to feel confident enough to do the same.

• 1 month later...

Hi i am very late in finding this post. I was looking for another one which I know was current in April but I have been away since then.

My husband died two years ago now and after 50 years of marriage I found it daunting at first but since then I have travelled to France and Spain several times alone. The first time I didn't find anyone wanted to talk to me (probably giving out the wrong vibes and looking miserable) but since then I have struck up conversations and friendships everywhere I go. I think you have to be prepared to make the first move towards striking up a conversation.

I must admit that I feel safer in France (probably because I speak the language) than in Spain (where I have only travelled to meet up with relatives). I have just returned from a six-week trip during which I stopped on a few aires alone as well as on campsites. I also park up at a Buffalo Gril that I frequent.

I must admit I feel vulnerable on motorway aires now (although I never used to) and if I am forced to use them I never leave the van (I take the dog a walk at the aire before) and I put on the alarm, gas alarm, door over-locks, strap belt etc. etc. put all valuables in the safe and sleep on the car keys (which has a panic alarm). After all this exercise I usually fall to sleep straight away and have a good night!

In England I have joined the New Companions Club which I have always found to be very friendly and a good mix of men and women. It is designed for single travellers (motorhomers or caravanners) whether bereaved, divorced, separated or who just camp alone. We meet twice a day and you can either join in any activities or do your own thing. It's great. If you need some details let me know.

Hi Patricia, what a brave lady you are! I hope that if I am ever in your situation I will find the strength to do the same. But one plea, if you don't mind, please, please, please, don't use the motorway aires for overnighting, I know it can be tempting but it really is one of the worse places you can stop.

Thank you for those kind comments Mel and I sincerely hope that you never do find yourself in my position. I try to put a brave face on it but it is very lonely sometimes. Still I am getting used to it now.

I understand your comments about the motorway aires and I am sorry to hear about your recent problems - I did mean to add to that thread. I hope the repairs are done quickly and you can get back to enjoying this wonderful hobby.

Both my daughters have experienced break-ins or attempted break-ins in the early hours (3 a.m. seems to be the favourite time) and I was actually next door to one of them. However, you were not on a motorway aire and I had the m/h interferred with on a guarded site so I think it is down to luck now. Very sad indictment on modern society. When I started camping you could leave anything in your tent or outside it and it would be safe. Not so now!

I hope you enjoy your lonsome travelling, but be assured, if you use a site occupied by other motorhomers or caravanners, especially those showing UK reg plates, you will not be a stranger for very long.

It seems to me that other owners will be viewing your outfit with a certain amount of curiosity, wondering who the owner is. And the merits etc of your chosen vehicle.

I met such a lady couple of years ago, in Spain, on a long term trip with a hightop, almost new as well. She had been bereaved for around 3 years, and was travelling the same roads that "they" did .

Very organised and methodical in her daily habits, which I admired, and she was no youngster either. (Nor am I )

She cycled out daily, getting stocked up and enjoying that part of Almeria.

Nodding became good morning, then good evening, then "like a glass of wine ?" followed up by, "join us for drinks and nibbles" and so we found out her circumstances and chatted about all and sundry, for which she was very thankful, as being alone was not really as enjoyable as having another person to hold a convsersation with. Even if it was known that it was only a temporary friendship, but sincere without prying.

We meet people who appear to be strangers every day, but with a little pleasant word or two, they do not remain strangers.

On another note, do not leave valuables on sight in the vehicle.

Find an old purse or wallet or even dare I say, handbag. Place some of those useless and out of date bits of plastic card inside. You know, the B&Q or Homebase ones, train tickets or last years memberships cards.

They look convincing to the untrained eye, but are actually worthless if stolen. Called a decoy !

Keep your cash and cards separately, stashed away in locker recesses, along with anything else you value. Teabag boxes, coffeee jars and the like do work.

And finally, happy travelling, with eyes wide open ! ;-)

Thanks for those kind words. Yes, I always put all money, credit cards, passport etc. (I've been told a passport is worth £3000 if sold on) in a hidden safe most of the time and certainly at night.

I have definitely met some very friendly people on site (and also off) some of whom invited me to share a meal and also remembered me at Christmas - very heart-warming.

My dog is equally a very good conversation starter too as she is very pretty and extremely friendly. Useful at night too as I am sure she would bark. However, if anyone actually entered she would probably lick them to death!!

PS I debated whether to sell this large vehicle after my husband's death, as I was quite nervous at the thought of driving it on my own, but I was offered such insulting money for it (even against a new vehicle) that I decided I couldn't lose that much money. So I took a deep breath and got going. At least I've got the dog to talk to and when she gets fed up of hearing me she goes in the back!

How sweet is that from Wingpete remember you wont be strangers for long ...Boy you are brave travelling alone and bloody good luck to you all.

It would be nice to have a convoy of girls just havingsometime away together a few laughs and giggles good luck to you all .

Archived