HELP Dome or Dish ?

potjoe

Hello Keith,

You need to decide whether you want to get TV through an aerial or through a satellite dish. I share your opinion about the Status aerial. At the Peterborough show this past weekend, we sold out of our SMARTY and LOG PERIODIC aerials even selling some to people who had the latest directional Status units on their vans. Fancy design is no substitute for efficient performance. You can see these aerials on our website.

If you want a satellite dish that's easy to use and will work in Scotland (and all over France), I recommend the Multimo. It's not the cheapest system but people who have one usually won't have anything else. They are very tough, easy to use and perform well. Again, you can see them on our website.

Or, if you want to be a bit more sophisticated, look at our new crank-up Camos or the Globesat through-the-roof. More expensive but you won't have to venture outside to set the things up.

I hope that helps.

RoadPro Andy

thanks for that andy,i think its looking like a dish but defintley want one thats fixed to the van so ill give them a look and defintley take anything on board that you suggest even if you had a perticular favourite mate . thanks alot andy. keith

Guest JudgeMental
RoadProAndy - 2008-04-29 6:38 PM

or a GOOD system such as the Kathrein CAP 900. However, even with these, reception is going to be hit and miss in many places and totally unavailable in most.

RoadPro Andy

Hi Andy, what is so good about the kathrein 900, is it better then say an 85cm oyster?

was thinking of a dome, but not to sure now.....

Hello Judgemental.

The Oyster 85 is undoubtedly a good dish and so are the 85cm models from Alden, Teleco, Crystop. The Kathrein however is smaller (77cms) and yet, in my recent tests through Scandinavia, France, Spain and Portugal, outperformed systems with 85cm dishes. The reason - according to Kathrein - is that all satellite TV systems comprise several different components: dish, LNB, controller, receiver. Most manufacturers buy in these different components but Kathrein design and make all of them themselves. This means that the dish is specially designed to work with the LNB and the receiver is specially designed to work with the controller, etc.

On the RoadPro Laika we have a 40cm dome, an Alden Netmaster, a Kathrein CAP 900 and I also carry around a Multimo. Obviously, I don't expect everyone to have such a collection even though it would be very good for business, but even when not testing, I have actually used all 4 systems on different occasions. I use the dome to listen to British Radio as I'm driving and to watch TV when the wind gets up; I use the Netmaster to access the Internet wherever I happen to stop; I use the Kathrein if I want to watch BBC and I'm outside the published footprint; I use the Multimo if there's a problem with trees and I need to be able to manouvre the dish into position.

As I say to everyone who asks: which dish system you should get depends on your answers to the following questions:

Where will you be when you're watching TV?

Do you want to be able to access TV / radio while you're driving?

What do you want to watch?

How easy do you want setting up to be?

Do you want to be able to watch TV even when there's a gale howling outside?

(and finally) How much are you prepared to spend?

I hope all that makes sense and sheds a little light on the situation.

I can't resist telling you that - according to my family tree - I am directly descended from Judge Jeffries. How about that?!

RoadPro Andy

Guest JudgeMental

Q: Where will you be when you're watching TV?

A: UK and Europe wide

Q;Do you want to be able to access TV / radio while you're driving?

A; No, but thinking about it radio would be nice.... but I quess this means a dome....

Q: What do you want to watch?

A: as much as possible... but happy with a bit of news etc in southern Europe. but would prefer a unit that allows a choice of sats automatically when in southern Europe

Q: How easy do you want setting up to be?

A: if by setting up you mean everyday use - as easy as possible! lol

Q: Do you want to be able to watch TV even when there's a gale howling outside?

A: yes, bur domes seem to be restricting. so maybe no

Q: (and finally) How much are you prepared to spend?

A; *-)

Ah!.... Judge Jeffries a dear dear friend and much misunderstood figure...... I am aiming to outstrip him in the neck stretching department. But current legislation prevents me from passing 600 year sentences. I fear this was his weakness - far to soft hearted, I much prefer to dispatch the bu**ers :-D

Mmmmm Judge, Judge Jeffries despatched many in Dorset with his Bloody Assizes.

Anyway, I think that your questions form a good basis for deciding on a dish. I must say that I am very pleased with my Camos 30 Dome but I only travel within the UK.

OK Judgemental, that makes it easy. What you need is a dish..................................... or a dome.

You say a dome's restricting. If you mean in terms of the area in which you can get certain channels, it is. But then, so is a dish. Anyone who wants to reliably get BBC & ITV all over Spain and Portugal has to get a dish of at least 1.3M in diameter, preferably 1.5M. Anything else is a compromise. That's it!

RoadProAndy

Guest JudgeMental
RoadProAndy - 2008-05-01 7:22 PM

OK Judgemental, that makes it easy. What you need is a dish..................................... or a dome.

RoadProAndy

OK den! I will get the KVH trackvision - seems great value.... :-D

Archived