Advice

Guest Jim

Planning 6 months touring europe early spring 06. Would like A class merc,fixed bed ,garage enough room for 3 without pulling beds about.Our first motorhome so any advice re make/model would be appreciated budget about £40,000.

The best piece of advice is to buy in Europe and save yourself about £17000. As well as a financial saving you would also benefit by using it in Europe during the duration of the guarantee. Good luck

I am assuming that you are looking at the second-hand market as I don't think you can buy a new A class Merc,unless you follow Rogers route, at that price. If so I would look in the MMM For-Sale classified section to get some idea of what you can get. Dealers prices tend to be much the same if you bargain as I feel that most owners tend to overvalue their vehicles when trying to sell privately. Hymers, justifiably or not,tend to hold their prices well. Also, if you are talking of six month long trips the larger the better in my experience. You cannot beat space over that sort of time period.

Guest Alan Watson
Hi If there are only 2 of you using the van then I would argue that a fixed bed wastes a lot of living space, unless you are physically unable to get onto the A class drop down bed (which is really large and comfortable). I agree that buying in Europe is the best option - we saved £17000 ont ours by buying in Germany. Best of luck Alan

Hi Jim Whilst at the Dusseldorf show we saw a new model Hymer Classic 504 - an A class motorhome with a drop down front bed and a rear wide single bed with garage below, it came in at just short of £40,000 with loads of bits and pieces included and a length of only 5.99 metres so no real parking problems. The only problem was that it was on a Fiat which isn't what you really want but we didnt' look into whether or not there was an option to get a Merc instead. To get it for that price though you'd realy need to buy it there although you could try Hymer UK but I don't know if it's in this country yet. Other than that and what the others above have suggested, you could try having a chat with Deepcar at Sheffield, Dirk there has been importing motorhomes for donkey's years and could well help you to get what you want by sourcing you a good second hand van.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived