Seat belt reminder

libby

Quote from the C&CC magazine today page 84

…………..the seat legislation that came into force in September 2006, which states that children under six years old must use an appropriate seat restraint. For children over three (but under 135cm tall or 12 years old) this requirement also applies – but only if seat belts are available.

Recent legislation requires that, for Motohomes registered from October 2007, seat belts have to be fitted to all rear seats, except those intended only for use when stationary. When buying, check the number of designated passenger seats (with seat belts) is adequate for your needs.

Further legislation from Europe is on the way form 2009, which will require that where seat belts are fitted in the rear, the number of passengers in the rear will be limited to the number of seat belts. So if your older Motorhome has no rear seat belts, its still legal to carry passengers on unbelted seats, but if even one rear seat has a seat belt, it is illegal to carry any passengers in unbelted seats.

Interesting point Mel. In practice only my wife and I travel in the van, but it is possible that a need to carry additional persons might occur. The van is classified as 5 berth and there are 4 forward and rear facing seats in the habitation area but no seat belts are fitted. The sideways bench seat would not be used for passengers when travelling as I consider it would be much too dangerous.

Does the Registration Document usually state the seating capacity for a motorhome?

Phil.

Archived