Global Warming Ice Road Truckers

enodreven

Hi,

Can anyone explain global warming in relationship to the recent Ice Road Truckers series, the point i am having difficulty with is the fact that they reported that the weather was so warm the previous year that the road only lasted I think just over 40 days but in the year the filming was done it was suggested it was the best year ever as the road lasted nearly twice as long ??

would be interested in any explanations for this

Thanks

sorry i don't know the answer either amazing the size of the snow chains they use .

They must have nerves of steel that lot . quite a good series also the one about dealiest catch spare a thought for the fishermen next time you sit down to a nice catch of the day .

Hi, Yes it was a great series, i really enjoyed it, I don't know if i would have the guts to drive it myself.

The main point I was trying to understand was that the road only lasted the year previous to the filming for 40+ days as the weather was a lot warmer and the ice thawed, then the year they filmed it was much colder and for a longer time as the road stayed frozen, if we have global warming how is that explained ??

The main point I was trying to understand was that the road only lasted the year previous to the filming for 40+ days as the weather was a lot warmer and the ice thawed, then the year they filmed it was much colder and for a longer time as the road stayed frozen, if we have global warming how is that explained ??

Whether we are experiencing global warming from man made causes or natural cyclical climate change there will be variations in the short term. It is the average trend over a period of years that counts. There can still be quite large variations between individual years.

From a personal viewpoint as someone who was heavily influenced by those who believed in the 1970's that the world was going to end due to global cooling, i find the position of those same climatologists that predict the end of the world due to Global warming a complete crock of poo.

Researchers openly admit that if they submit a grant application for a study of "The lifestyle and habitat of the lesser spotted pink crayfish" - they do not get the grant.

But if they appy for a grant for "The effects of Global Warming on the lifestyle and habitat of the lesser spotted pink crayfish" the men with the money fal over themselves to give it to them!

But here we are - with more data showing that the medieval warm period did exist (despite the IPCC desperatly trying to cover up the fact) and that the sun has a vast effect on global temperatures (again despite the fact that the IPCC states that the sun has no effect on earths temperature at all - err! excuse me - has no one in the IPCC experienced summer and winter in the northern hemisphere???) and still we are expected to stump up for environmental taxes that are not used to combat polution.

have a look at

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/04/09/do0907.xml

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2602567.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/07/18/wsun18.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/07/18/ixnewstop.html

http://my.telegraph.co.uk/reasonmclucus/november_2007/al_gore_wrong_again.htm

When are we going to say enough is enough? :-S

Thanks Michelle

For my sins I "bump up against" a fair few academics and they are invariably of the opinion that global warming is just the latest "weeze" to get grant money for whatever it is that they want to study.

It seems that as long as you take a "Global warming" rationale onto the grant request you can get what you need. But omit any reference to Global warming and they get nothing.

Bizarre! :-S >:-( *-)

Hi Braunston

What really gets me is the way some simply changed tack when the evidence went against them!

We were all going to freeze from Global cooling in the 1970's then all those who wanted ever more grant money went "Oh bu**er! - it is getting warmer!"

It seems that whatever the latest fashionable disaster scenario is fair game for them. We had definitive statements in the 1970's such as:-

"An increase by only a factor of four in global aerosol background concentration may be sufficient to reduce the surface temperature by as much as 3.5 degrees Kelvin… sufficient to trigger an ice-age."

—Dr S I Rasool and Dr S H Schneider, Science, July 9, 1971.

And this quote is interesting as it includes a certain Dr SH Schneider, because then Dr Schneider pops up again, describing nicely the Global Warming advocates' methodology.

"[W]e have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we may have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest."

— Dr SH Schneider, quoted by Jonathan Schell in his book The Fate Of The Earth, 1982.

Frankly I am surprised anyone believes anything they say anymore. The politicians (and we all know how honest they are!!) have jumped on the bandwagon because a scared population is one that is more malleable to higher taxes.

Archived