Buying our first motorhome

LORNA

Any advice for 2 middle-aged novices (plus small dog) who are looking to make the final decision about a motorhome soon. We have done research and visited sellers. We need a 2 berth motorhome with generous bedding and have been looking at Autosleepers and Autocruise. Our budget would be £18000 - £25000. Is it possible to trial/hire one of the above makes? Any advice/views would be gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation, LORNA

Hi Lorna,

Good idea to hire before you buy that way you won't make the mistake we did . It can be a very costly game if you get it wrong and in my opinion its not untill you live in it that you find out .

There are lots of m/home hire companies on the web .

good luck in your choice I hope it works out for you its a fantastic hobby .

or shoul I say way of life, enjoy

Lorna,

We had a Bessie and we wanted one with a garage we choose the Hobby 725 i think .

Anyway to cut a long story short it wasn't until we bought it and had to live in it that I decided it was wrong . I couldn't get anything in the cupboards .(used to Bigger ) so didnt like it I didnt like the transverse bed I felt hemmed in i didnt like that our bottoms could not fit on the bench seat to small really made for children .

We lost over £4000 i bought in the Oct and got rid by the jan a very costly lesson .

So my advice to you is to hire before you do it really try to live in it and do all the things that you would do normally If you have nothing to compare it with them maybe its ok . I did have the bessacarr before so I did keep comapring it to that the hobby lost . Apart from that a nice unit to drive and had it of been me and just him we would of kept it .

good luck .

Sorry cant tell you anything about the tecky stuff I'm sure the others will help with that my dept is inside only .

Lorna

My advice is : Take plenty of time choosing.

Visit a few motorhome shows to see what is about - dealers are unlikely to have a wide range ( and will be 'pushing' the makes that they do sell anyway).

Have a look at how the beds are made up, and imagine doing it every night - how long does it take ?

Where will you park it - does size matter ?

Do you want to use it as a daily transport as well - in which case you don't want anything that is difficult to park.

Very good idea to hire one.

Best of luck.

Hi Lorna

Welcome to the Forum. I think everybody reading your thread will agree that this is one heck of a decision, so many variations on a theme - Michelle and friends have given some sound advice, please take your time then join us in this fantastic lifestyle. We tried one out for a 2 week holiday in Bavaria before we bought and hiring is a good idea, we're oldies now and decided a fixed ready made up bed in the back was best, but everybody to their choice. Like a pair of shoes, try them out to see if they fit.

Alan

Hi Lorna, like Libby sez, knock on the door and meet the owners, we are a friendly lot, we have often had people visit, usually in country roadside car parks with a view. They don't always knock, just look from a respectful distance. I go and have a chat then invite them in as they are usually thinking of getting a motorhome. We meet some very nice folk that way. being able to meet new friends is the best part of motorhoming. Layout is the first priority then try to find it on a rear wheel drive base vehicle. I only had one front wheel drive 'van that was one of my mistakes. Also consider GRP monocoque body, something like mine, no joints to leak, no wood frames to rot, and good aerodinamics for stability in cross winds, and low drag so better MPG. Just a few little things to think about, more will come from this friendly Forum. Best of luck, see you in a field someplace, sometime. David.............

We have 2 sets of friends both been looking at our van and wishing, well the first couple rented a CI 656 and came away on holiday with us last week with their 2 children. They are hooked, the van was a perfect family van the children slept well and all went smoothly. Went to see them last night and they are looking to buy the exact same van as they know they fit it and it fit them. They took loads of advise from us and read alot of magazines.

Couple 2 bought a new caravan last year, tried to copy a holiday we had in the van and stayed just 1 or 2 nights on sites, with obvious out come of tiredness and many hours on the road. They have now decided to get a motorhome, so went off last weekend and just bought one they fell in love with, £40,000 + . Hardly any advise from anywhere, not looked around apart from 1 other dealer, hence they now own a lovely Fiat Swift Kontiki just one year old. But with 3 children, one only 8 and just bench seats at the sides and no seat belts and potential nightmare, both for them trying to keep the children in place when travelling , but as we all know the potential disaster occurring in the event of an accident.

She is aware she "could do with some seatbelts" but cannot for see all the problems that lay ahead because of her desperation to just get a van.

Browse as many as you can and suddenly you will have a list of definite wants and don't wants, then you narrow down the needs and would likes till you end up with what you could live with at a cost you can afford.

Good luck with it, its worth it in the end

Mandy

Hi All,

This is my first time on the site. I am a newcomer to Motorhoming also, we have just purchased a new Autocruise Starburst after looking around for the past 5 years umming and arring. It's a Marquis 35th anniversary edition so has many extras. My question, which is slightly off thread is about which type of bike rack to have fitted. Does anyone here have any thoughts as to which type is best / more practical etc, body mounted / tow hitch mounted. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Guest Tracker

Best advice for any newcomer is to go to a show or even a dealer event and go in lots of vans and talk to as many other peopl as possible.

Most folks are happy to pass on their experiences and point out the advantages and pitfalls of specific designs according to their own perspective and it should be possible to distil from this a basic layout that would suit you best.

Next thing would be to hire a van similar to your chosen layout for at least a weekend to help you decide about the practicalities.

If you then want to ask for specific opinions on specific vans there are many of us on here who will be able to voice a thought or two based on our own experiences.

Hi Dewaltman, Basically rear wheel drive has much better traction on wet grass, mud etc, and for taking off from stationary on a very steep hill with wet road. My Ford Transit also has LSD traction control in the back axle which is also a great help. Rear wheel drives often have a better steering lock. Another debatable point is juddering on take off, my front wheel drive 'van did not judder as it was automatic with torque converter, but my car is front wheel drive with automated manual transmission, with a dry plate clutch and that judders like hell if I try a fast takeoff, foreward or reverse, it is a Colt CZ2 built by Daimler Benz in Holland in their Smart Car factory. I think, and this is only my opinion, juddering in front wheel drive vehicles is because every thing is driven across the vehicle, even the engine, I may be wrong with this line of thought, there are more knowledgable people on this Forum who will I expect put me right on this subject.

Right or left hand drive is your choice but continental L/H drive types that are addapted for R/H drive may still have their wipers arranged for L/H driving.

So what you may say.

It does mean that the R/H drivers side of the screen does not clear so well, therefore making your viewing position not so good in poor weather and can be a real nuisance!

My Rapido (French & German) has the wipers addapted for the UK and R/H driving, (An advantage well worth noting)

LB

Lorna and dewaltman

All very good advice so far.

Take your time and see as many vans as you can - read the mags and visit shows/dealers to get a feel for the different layouts.

Best if you can make up a list showing things you MUST HAVE, things you SHOULD HAVE and things you COULD HAVE. You will find as you see more and more examples that this list may change as time goes on.

When you look at vans either imagine or run through the motions of living in it. Especially making up the beds - and do lie on them - you will be surprised just how difficult and uncomfortable some can be. Stand in the bathroom and pretend to shower or wash - do you bang your head on the cupboard above the sink? Is there room to turn around or sit on the loo?

Think about the kitchen and where everything would go - pots, pans, cutlery, drygoods, WINE!, is the fridge big enough? more WINE (from that trip to France) and the preparation area you will need.

Outside storage varies dramatically so try to be imaginitive about what you want to take with you (outside chairs/tables/windbreak/bikes etc.) and check that there will be room.

An obvious but little thought about issue is one of the overall weight of the vehicle. If you passed your test before 1 January 1997 you should have an entitlement to drive vehicles up to 7500kgs but after that date it will only be 3500kgs without a further test. Some people feel it better to stay below the 3500kgs as there are advantages in terms of motorway tolls, weight/speed restrictions on some roads etc but this means a lower payload. This is important as it is illegal to load your vehicle over the permitted weights and there are more and more spot checks on leisure vehicles these days. There are plenty of vehicles with adequate payload but, equally, there are many with rediculously low payload and it should be one of the important things you establish before buying.

If all this seems too long and drawn out my final advice is not to rush it. Part of the fun of motorhoming is getting the right vehicle and the time spent now will pay off later as you enjoy using it without all the niggling little problems you didn't foresee leading to a costly early replacement.

The right one is out there for you.

Good luck, David

LORNA - 2008-04-22 10:06 PM

Any advice for 2 middle-aged novices (plus small dog) who are looking to make the final decision about a motorhome soon. We have done research and visited sellers. We need a 2 berth motorhome with generous bedding and have been looking at Autosleepers and Autocruise. Our budget would be £18000 - £25000. Is it possible to trial/hire one of the above makes? Any advice/views would be gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation, LORNA

Hi and welcome to the forum. As per normal from such a cgreat resource you have loads of info to go on.

I think your question is one that all us motorhomers love to answer because having owned we tend to know what we want in our next van.

Therefore, the answer has to be with what you want. You will know, what you want when you see it. look at as many as possible. When you think you fimd the one you want start looking at what you would need in terms of equipment, ie does it have an oven, what storage etc.

You dont state as to what experience you have of camping, after all we are all campers in some form or another or more importantly what you aim to do with you MH when you get it. This will help you with what type you get. Have you considered a van conversion as there are only two of you or are you stuck on a coachbuilt?

Autosleepers are great quality but come at a price.

Good luck with your hunting, I am off to the peterborough show this weekend where ifyou can get yourself there for an abundance of MHs to view.

We bought our first motorhome 18 months ago and made a list of all the things that we would like.

We started with the amount that we wanted to spend.

Next was a fixed rear bed or 2 long seats or all round seating, hubbie didn't fancy the idea of a dropdown bed above the cab (he has since changed his mind).

Double dinette

2 or 4 berth

Separate Shower

Solar Panel

Cycle Rack

Winterised

An oven would be nice.

We eventually bought a 1998 Rapido 740F and the only two things we didn't get were a separate shower and an oven. We have found that we probably wouldn't have used the oven that much anyway and bought a double skillet and a portable BBQ,

As for the separate shower, we are now looking to buy another motorhome in 2009 and have decided that this is definately what we want as it is very rare that we use commercial sites and if possible we would like another Rapido, the quality is excellent and we have been very pleased with the one we bought. Whether we can find one in our price range is another matter.

If I were to give anybody any advice then it would be to make a list of what you would like, based on the models that you see at dealers and in magazines and then try to get as many things on your list as possisble. These things are always a compromise because of the amount of space that you can have. Obviously if you are going for the ultimate American RV then space isn't an issue!!!!

Its exciting so have fun.

As Randonneur said, make a list. It took us five years to decide during which time we travelled all over the place and looked at every kind of model, even caravans, for inspiration as our requirement was specifically a two berth with all the other bits that would it a home from home, but at a starter level. We basically then knew what we wanted it was just a matter then of convincing ourselves to take the plunge and buy one. As I said in my 1st post, we have a nice new Starburst, 2 berth, rear shower and toilet with kitchen area a midships. I must say it comes very well appointed and we now look forward to many happy outings and holidays. We just need to get out and about to 'bed ourselves in' as it were and get used to having the facility

thanks ranger for advice as it happens I live in Barry so might see you on our travels one day i have caravanned for 25 years and have recently bought a 2004 rapido 996m with rear wheel drive so that was why i was interested in your comments, like all the others did do a lot of research into layouts etc to suit my needs before buying, dont suppose i've got it 100% right ( do we ever) but tried to tick as many boxes as possible for my requirements.

Hi Dewaltman, I was a Coastguard in Barry about 40 years ago. Got promoted and moved to Mumbles, Swansea, retired 20 years ago, so as you can see I'm knocking on a bit. I too caravaned for many years. Once I passed 70 people said I was too old to tow so bought a motorhome, nearly 80 now so perhaps I will have job to get insurance then.

Thanks for all your replies. Can I now pick your brains abour U-shaped rear seating? The 'Which Motorhome' recently ran a 4 motorhome comaprison with the Autocruise coming out top. We like the look of this lay-out a lot.

Also, any tips for what to prioritise seeing if we manage to visit the Northampton Show this weekend.

Look forward to your views, Lorna

Autocruise nicely planned and well screwed together. Autocruise started life as Holdsworths but have changed hands a few times. I had a Holdsworth Ranger a while ago so have always kept an eye on the latest Autocruises and always liked what I saw. Not keen on the base vehicle, but don't let me put you off. Read posts on base vehicle manufactorers, Fiats, Peugots, & Citroen.

Archived