Being thick - again

Norma

Guest JudgeMental

I would not think Sikaflex on its own is good enough *-)

you will either have to locate frame under skin and screw into that or buy the plate kit which screws through wall of camper....

you may be able to find frame with a DIY stud wall finder or by tapping with knuckle and listen for changes.... or bring it to some one who knows what they are doing :-D

Guest peter
Don't waste your money on Sikaflex. I swear by Bostik "Nail and Seal" about £4.50 a tube. Sticks like hell and remains flexible. I'll never use Silicne again, absolutely useless in comparison.

Norma:

"SIKAFLEX" is a brand name for a large range of adhesive products of various types manufactured by Sika Ltd.

Perhaps the most commonly used for DIY leisure-vehicle jobs is SIKAFLEX-512 CARAVAN that comes in white only. If you GOOGLE on that name, you should find plenty of on-line suppliers (I've placed a link to one of them below): otherwise contact SIKA who should be able to tell you if there's a retailer of their products local to you.

http://www.marinemegastore.com/product-product-BUR_100512.htm

(Incidentally, I've heard that SIKAFLEX-512 CARAVAN has a relatively short shelf-life once the cartridge has been opened, but I can't confirm that.)

As JudgeMental advises, no adhesive will be sufficiently strong to attach a cycle-rack to a motorhome. Whatever product you employ should be treated purely as a sealant to prevent water entering the vehicle via the holes made in the bodywork through which the bolts/screws securing the cycle-rack are passed.

Hi,

Once SIKAFLEX-512 has cured it can only be removed by mechanical means.

If the bike rack was stuck on with SIKAFLEX-512 the adhesive wont fail it would be the outer skin of the van that would be pulled off with the bike rack. Thats why bolts are put through the van wall to take the load.

A friend of mine fixed a flat screen tv to a wall bracket arm with SIKAFLEX-512 as there were no screw holes in the back of the tv. Two years on it is still attached no problem.

Richard

Prehaps I shouldn't haved used 'being thick' as the subject.

I would like use my new purchase of a cycle rack and the old bikes, on more than one occasion. So the advice of using bolts too, is greatly appreciated ;-)

Thanks, Derek, you've given me the precise info I need. I knew you could be relied on...

A good sealant is what we are looking for, after drilling holes in our very expensive toy.

N

I'm sure you've already done this, but if you watch two bikes jigging up and down on the back of a van going down a rough bit of road, you'll appreciate why the upper fixings of the bike rack need to be bolted right through the rear panel using spreader plates internally!  The bolts and plates etc for this usually come as part of the Fiamma or Omni bike racks anyhow.  Just do make sure you know exactly where to make the holes!  As stated above, it is important they go through something substantial, and not just through the insulation.  Most 'van manufacturers will supply advice/details of where to drill, and also what types of bike rack place the fixings at the correct height to pick up the reinforced areas in the rear panel.

Brian Kirby - 2008-04-25 10:02 PM

I'm sure you've already done this, but if you watch two bikes jigging up and down on the back of a van going down a rough bit of road, you'll appreciate why the upper fixings of the bike rack need to be bolted right through the rear panel using spreader plates internally!  The bolts and plates etc for this usually come as part of the Fiamma or Omni bike racks anyhow.  Just do make sure you know exactly where to make the holes!  As stated above, it is important they go through something substantial, and not just through the insulation.  Most 'van manufacturers will supply advice/details of where to drill, and also what types of bike rack place the fixings at the correct height to pick up the reinforced areas in the rear panel.

Well said Brian good sound advice :-D

Archived