Is this genuine?

DonB

Perhaps one of you knowledgeable people out there will know about this. About 2 years ago I sold a motorhome in part exchange at a UK dealership. In this morning's post I've had a letter from NMR National Mileage Register, address NMR HPI Ltd. Dolphin House, PO box 63, Salisbury, SP1 2TH. They quote the registration number of the vehicle and the dates I bought it and sold it, and there is a questionnaire mainly concerned with the mileage of the vehicle, and where it was bought and sold. Is this genuine, or is there some scam going on I haven't caught up with yet?

I found this during a serach of the internet :-

"More than likely it will be because the vehicle is now in the hands of a franchised dealer who wants to sell it.

Most large dealer groups do not want to risk having their reputation sullied by selling a vehicle that could have a mileage discrepancy, therefore, as standard when a vehicle is taken in they will carry out a mileage investigation. The letter you have recieved is a standard letter that is sent out to help build a picture of a cars history to ensure it has not been clocked, through these letters, dealer submissions, DVLA data and other sources the HPI "NMR" database now has over 125 million records.

Under consumer law if a dealer wants to sell a vehicle as "warranted" mileage they must show proof, a mileage investigation is such proof. If a dealer is selling a vehicle as guaranteed mileage, always ask to see if an investigation has been completed, particularly if the vehicle is older with a few owners, sadly the move to digital odometers has not stopped clocking and it is still a major problem for the industry.

As an aside, Mileage checks also come as a standard part of the HPI consumer check these days"

So it sounds legit.

Guest Tracker
Being a cynic why should you want to help a dealer get more money for your old van and why would you want any more of your info on yet another computer database ready to be abused or sold on?

Guest Tracker
Way2Go - 2008-04-24 12:30 PM

And what if you were buying? Wouldn't you want to know the mileage was genuine or don't you trust anyone?

When buying only a fool trusts everyone!

Never assume anything and even if the mileage is 'warranted' make darned sure the condition is in line with the mileage.

There are some vans that have only done 2000 miles in three years but have been lived in for most of that time therefore the mileage can mislead one to expect a near new van inside.

There are vans that have done 20000 miles in one year but either been very carefully used or only ever driven and never slept in therefore the mileage would mislead one to expect a well worn van inside.

And then there are drivers who ride the clutch, don't use the right gear at the right time and can put five years wear on a vehicle in one year.

And then there are drivers who are so careful that a five year old van still feels like new.

Extremes maybe, but to illustrate the point that in depth examination and scrutiny are the order of the day before you write that bloody great cheque.

The mileage is only ever relevant to me when I'm selling as it affects the price I get. When I'm buying I use my own judgement or, if inexperienced take an experienced friend capable of telling a genuine van from an iffy one, and high mileage holds no fears as long as the price is right.

Nowt wrong with buying an iffy van as long as you get it at an appropriate price and know what you are getting.

Guest JudgeMental
Way2Go - 2008-04-24 12:30 PM

And what if you were buying? Wouldn't you want to know the mileage was genuine or don't you trust anyone?

Exactly, I would say genuine. This is becoming a normal request regards cars so why not campers....

Hi DonB

I don't think it's a scam.

I had something like this a few years ago after selling a car with very low mileage for it's age. As I'd bought the car when it was only 1 year old with low mileage I was quite happy to verify the mileage as genuine as I only cover around 2000 miles a year.

Hope this helps.

Hello DonB,

This seems genuine, VW dealers especially use NMR Checking all the time. The only reservation I would have is why it has taken the dealer 2 years to contact NMR for a verification.

The form also should contain questions about whether the vehicle has been in an accident. Be carefull here a false answer could lead you into trouble if they subsequently find it was in a collision that you would know about. If you have doubts why not phone NMR before completing and returning the form.

Regards,

Mike.

You should ignore comments from cynical idiots whose immediate reaction is to think badly about anything done by perfectly legitimate and respectable organisations.This is a perfectly genuine service aimed at stamping out cowboys who clock vehicles.

If a dealer is about to buy a car or a motorhome and the mileage is lower than than recorded on the last questionnaire filled in, he knows that it's been clocked.

Responsible citizens should complete the form and do their bit to protect us all from a small number of dishonest people who try to reduce the mileage on vehicles that they're selling - and it's not just dodgy dealers either. Many private citizens avail themselves of dubious methods to change their odometers and get thousands more for their vehicles. The clever ones fit new brake pedal and accelerator rubbers pads etc. to fool you into thinking that it's a genuine low-mileage vehicle.

I would also think that before denouncing this scheme as just another way to help dealers make more money, cynics would have the sense to simply Google it!

https://www.aviva.com/avivainvestor/index.asp?NewsID=2705&PageID=2&filter=&year=2003

Excuse me RupertGS, I agree with what you say mostly above, but not with this bit:
RupertGS - 2008-04-24 10:05 PM

You should ignore comments from cynical idiots ...

How does being rude help in this instance? If you disagree okey-dokey they say so but calling someone a cynical idiot is just being bitchy for the sake of it. Anyway, back on thread, it could be that the current dealer has some suspicions that it has been 'doctored' in some way by the previous dealer/owner and your confirming the mileage could prove or disprove this assertion. It could also be that the current dealer has doctored it and it is he that is being checked out. We had this with a car we once owned, we were asked to confirm when we owned it and what mileage it would have had on it when we PX'd it (this was before it was normal to declare it on the change of ownership docs with the DVLA), it transpired that the garage we'd PX'd it with was being investigated as he had been supposedly selling vehicles that had been doctored and had tried to pass our old car off with less mileage than it had on when we parted with it!It may just give someone the heads-up if they are looking to buy a car or motorhome and it seems too good to be true, if the mileage is officially recorded it cannot be fiddled quite so easily and that has to be a good thing. :-D

Mel B - 2008-04-24 10:18 PM Excuse me RupertGS, I agree with what you say mostly above, but not with this bit:
RupertGS - 2008-04-24 10:05 PM

You should ignore comments from cynical idiots ...

How does being rude help in this instance? If you disagree okey-dokey they say so but calling someone a cynical idiot is just being bitchy for the sake of it. Anyway, back on thread, it could be that the current dealer has some suspicions that it has been 'doctored' in some way by the previous dealer/owner and your confirming the mileage could prove or disprove this assertion. It could also be that the current dealer has doctored it and it is he that is being checked out. We had this with a car we once owned, we were asked to confirm when we owned it and what mileage it would have had on it when we PX'd it (this was before it was normal to declare it on the change of ownership docs with the DVLA), it transpired that the garage we'd PX'd it with was being investigated as he had been supposedly selling vehicles that had been doctored and had tried to pass our old car off with less mileage than it had on when we parted with it! It may just give someone the heads-up if they are looking to buy a car or motorhome and it seems too good to be true, if the mileage is officially recorded it cannot be fiddled quite so easily and that has to be a good thing. :-D

I said it because he's a cynical idiot who didn't even have the sense to Google it before denouncing it as a ploy to help dealers make more money.

However, it's only said tongue in cheek to wind him up a little!

One way to avoid this type of approach is to enter the recorded mileage on the transfer of ownership section of the VR5 when disposing of any vehicle. (if you know the odometer is correct, as when having purchased the vehicle from new)

Even so this is not a 100% method, as I still occasionally get this type of request when disposing of Company Vehicles, but then I can just refer thenm to DVLA.

Guest Tracker
RupertGS - 2008-04-24 10:26 PMI said it because he's a cynical idiot who didn't even have the sense to Google it before denouncing it as a ploy to help dealers make more money.

However, it's only said tongue in cheek to wind him up a little!

Oh I see now how double standards can apply to Rupert GS. If I make a comment that he does not like I am an idiot and if I then say it was only a wind up or tongue in cheek I am a liar? But when Rupert does it is OK then?A wonderful showing of true colours.Please note that I did not instigate this - I never do - all I do is respond when I am personally attacked.Please note this reply is made without rancour or the need for insults.By all means feel free to disagree with my postings but do please have the courtesy to do it in a polite manner.Thank you.

Yes, you do instigate it by your disgraceful and unthinking slurs on business. I first came across you some months ago when you were called Starspirit. I believe that shortly afterwards you were banned for being obnoxious and for arguing. Hardly something that would happen to a gentleman who never starts anything!

This is what you said then - the 'Search' facility is a wonderful thing:

Mind you I expect like everything else modern corners have been cut and material quality downgraded in the pursuit of profit and to hell with the problems.

Not that I am cynical!

You ended up then with much egg on your face after opening your mouth and putting your foot right in it. In future, try thinking before coming out with your vitriol about businesses. You sound very much to me like someone who tried to make it it on his own and possibly failed! These are often the ones who end up with huge chips on their shoulders about business and wake up every morning as you obviously do, thinking that everyone with whom they do business is there just to rip them off.

Now of course you'll make your usual response, which will attack me for having the temerity to mention something that went on some months ago and you will not in any way try to defend your comments because as we all know, the are indefensible.

Guest Tracker

Rupert you really are doing yourself and your image no favours with these continual attacks so why not just give it a rest eh?

It is a very sad thing that you spend your time raking back through the past but if it brings you comfort then I suppose we will just have to put up with it if only for your sake.

As you had the first attack I will leave it to you to have the last word because I know how much that will mean to you.

Oh, and by the way - I'm only winding you up!

Tracker - 2008-04-25 10:02 AM Rupert you really are doing yourself and your image no favours with these continual attacks so why not just give it a rest eh? It is a very sad thing that you spend your time raking back through the past but if it brings you comfort then I suppose we will just have to put up with it if only for your sake. As you had the first attack I will leave it to you to have the last word because I know how much that will mean to you. Oh, and by the way - I'm only winding you up!

Thank you for doing precisely what I said you would do in my post above! You cannot defend your comments so you simply attack the person who has taken you on. One day you may learn to think before opening your cynical mouth - but I won't hold my breath!

Thanks everyone. Got called away on a bit of an emergency yesterday afternoon so wasn't able to continue at the time. Yes, we should have Googled it, have now done so and followed links from RAC, Autocar etc. and am satisfied this is a genuine enquiry. And yes, the mileage was recorded on the transfer form at the time of sale. As HPI ltd already have name, address, vehicle reg etc and only want confirmation I will not be giving away anything they dont already have. It is certainly true when spending large amounts of dosh on things like motorhomes, you can't be too careful.

Archived