Continental fishing

geoff

I shall be visiting the continent this summer and would be grateful for any information regarding fishing permits and licences for Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany - particularly the Moselle River and the Black Forest region

Hi, sorry don,t know about other countries, but fishing in germany is a none starter, There is a fishing exam which is in german, its easy if you understand german,as its only a tick box test but takes a few hours to complete, In someparts of germany you do not need to take the test if you have a current uk fishing club membership card, Most waters are club members only. i tryed to get some fly fishing in last year with no joy, unlike denmark which costs £10 for the whole year on the whole water system.

In france you can get a 10 day permit, last year it was 15 euros or there abouts, this shows places you can fish.

sorry can,t be much more help, try Google and see what comes up.

terry

Germany as mentioned is tough tough tough. I stayed on the river and went to get a permit. I was asked to show my License, which I showed my rod license. However I was then asked for my German fishing qualification (at least I think thats what it translated to) I err and emhd at the lady and stated that I had been fishing for 30 years, she replied not on my river your not.

I therefore gave up the idea, A fishing qualification, whatever next. For a moment I thought that she thought I was setting up a commercial boat for COD. :-(

Hi, In all fairness the germany cert is a good idea, Its all about care of the fish, I have fished alot here in the uk and have seen some very bad things, just think about it, How many fishing mags here in the UK talk about how or what to do once you have the fish in the net, There are lots of pics of people holding up dead fish, or pics of lots of dead fish on teh river bank, But very very little about fish care. The german cert is all about fish care, and thats a good think.

As stated the test is not all over germany, but you will need a uk club permit in other areas.

I must say that I did found a great fishing spot in germany at deturn with a motorhome parking area at 3 euros a night with showers and free kitchen and elec at 2 euros for 24 hours elec. great water all round with some of the best river fishing in germany, But could not fish as did not have the german cert. But it was a great place to be and the local pub did great beer and monster fish dishes at great prices.

terry

Guest Tracker

Having a fishing certificate no more makes some folk a more conservation aware and more responsible fisherman than having a driving licence makes some folk a better driver?

Tracker - 2008-04-25 9:56 AM

Having a fishing certificate no more makes some folk a more conservation aware and more responsible fisherman than having a driving licence makes some folk a better driver?

I absoloutly agree.

I take care of my fish when I go fishing. I return them, and see the fish as a friend. A fishing certificate would make no difference to some. Society indicates how people treat some animals and I include the louts whom fish with no respect for the fish. If they had a certificate in fishing it would make no difference whatsoever, its the morales and make up of the person that will determine how respectfull someone is to fishing, not a diploma in fishing.

geoff - 2008-04-24 2:05 PM I shall be visiting the continent this summer and would be grateful for any information regarding fishing permits and licences for Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany - particularly the Moselle River and the Black Forest region

Hi Geoff & welcome.

Just seen this thread.

Like some others have said, you do require to have a certificate to be able to fish in Germany.

I've been fly fishing on some of the tours we've done to Germany. This year will be our 12th/13th I think. BUT only at certain sites that have their own lake, and you can produce your UK rod licence. Very much dependent on where you are.

I've also been river fishing with some of our German friends. Some are rather perplexed at me being a fly fisherman - "Fluff Chuker".Germans are generally rod fishermen.This river fishing with friends did make me nervous as I do not have a German fishing certificate.

There were reports last year that the German fishing club is trying to re- introduce Salmon into the Rhine mainly up in the Balck Forest and Bavaria region.

Sorry I can't give any further infomation.

Thai

Hi, don,t make me wrong nothing is going to make a bad fisherman who does not care about the fish a better fisherman, I do no that, My point is that the germans are having a go, which is a lot better then here in the UK.

Fish care is so down the ladder here, I started fishing late in life, and having got all the mags, and a few books, there was never a lot on how to deal with the fish when on the hook, It was only a year or so ago that I found out about bardless hooks, OK, if I joined a club I may of picked up more info,But I don,t have the time durring the summer as not here in the UK. In the end I did a Google seach and met up with a chap in france who showed me the ropes on how to deal with fish on the hook, the best way of this and that.So yes I do think that the german way would of helped me.

I also fly fish, the best place I have found so far is denmark, cost in 2007 £10 for the year, and a fishing marks book in full colour £9. Had some great sea bass in the time i was there.

This year its france, with only 160 fly fisherman in normandy there is some great fly fishing to be had.

terry

Got in touch with the German tourist board, their brochure states that a certificate is NOT required for non german visitors. I am now trying to get paperwork quoting the chapter and verse so that I can produce it if I encounter a German "Jobsworth"

They also suggested getting in touch with local organisations for each region but omitted to give any further details :'(

Thats interesting geoff, But I think I will stick to denmark and france for the time being, I have send you an e-mail, but if you don,t pick it up, the names Detern and the stellplatz is all signed very well, nice place to hole up for a few days.

terry

Archived