Euro/Pound Consequences

Vernon B

Reports in the Sunday broadsheets that Brits were selling their properties in France to capitalise on the demise of the £ got me thinking about how its slide might affect us motorhome owners.

In simply terms an imported 'van retailing at £40,000 this time last year should now carry a £48,000 price tag! OK I know large companies involved in international trading buy their currencies forward to alleviate exchange rate fluctuations but I doubt whether motorhome deals are that smart. So, if this situation is more than a short term aberration, can we expect to see some significant consequences in the market place.

For example:-

Could imports become significantly more expensive than UK equivalents?

Or will UK manufactures simply take advantage of this by jacking up their prices?

Could the price of "High end" imports become even more beyond our reach?

Should those thinking of buying "foreign" do a deal asap to avoid a nasty surprise?

And what about the second hand market:-

If the prices of new imports increase dramatically can we expect to see second hand prices harden or even appreciate? (Oh, I'll answer that one - "no chance")

Of course it's possible that the current exchange rate may continue, or even decline further, without us witnessing any of the above. In which case we can only assume that manufacturers and dealers are making very very fat margins at present and can absorb these exchange rate on-costs.

Any thoughts?

Vernon

Guest JudgeMental

My camper which I imported exactly 12 months ago is now at least £5000 more......

I saved well over £10000 so probably still worth importing and I prefer LHD as well.

Personally I was going to change it either late this year early next.but because of exchange rates I will probably not bother until I have to.

Plus i will wait for Fiat X250 Mark 2 to arrive *-)

I have no idea what will happen to rate. Hopefully we could not go into Europe at this rate......should have adopted it when it was 1.50 - 1.60 *-) savings will be worthless.......

I have recently ordered a new Hymer from Brownhills in Canterbury. I had priced it from the 2008 price list but they couldn't honour that price. Everything had gone up by about 7%. I expect the new price list (in July) will be even higher and they would at least not seek to increase the price we agreed (there is a six month build delay) so I bit the bullet.

Peter

Guest JudgeMental
Peter Highe - 2008-04-24 3:53 PM

I have recently ordered a new Hymer from Brownhills in Canterbury. I had priced it from the 2008 price list but they couldn't honour that price. Everything had gone up by about 7%. I expect the new price list (in July) will be even higher and they would at least not seek to increase the price we agreed (there is a six month build delay) so I bit the bullet.

Peter

As for Brownhills... I will say nothing except look at threads on all motorhome forums regards this company *-)

have a look at the german site: www.mobile.de and at model you like. I would be surprised if you could not find what you are looking for from stock with significant savings.... you then need to ask them for a decent export discount as well :-D

All the manufacturers at the show in Feb at the NEC were going to raise there prices after the show, according to stickers on many vans. The reason, when I asked, was because most of the fittings in the van come from abroad and they have to buy them in Euros, and as the pound was less they paid more for them in Sterling. They had carried his since December but the pound had dropped further and they had to pass this on to the customer.

But if you ordered at or just before the show they would honour the price given. We ordered our Autotrail from the dealer in January and got the price deal even though we don't get the van until May

Archived