lpg conversion

steffers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Are you looking for a lpg conversion for the diesel engine? If so a company in Glasgow were offering this on diesel engines about 5 years ago for around £1500. I don't know if it was very successful or popular but with diesel prices going the way they are it may be worth looking at if you do enough mileage.

As a "tugger" I row with an LPG dual fuel Discovery and cannot praise LPG enough! - My second LPG vehicle is a 3.9L V8 and the engine just loves it.

The Octane rating is higher than petrol at about 100 so the engine runs so smoothly it is very disappointing when I have to run it on petrol. Being dual fuel LPG availability is never really an issue but the price of petrol most certainly makes a bit of planning worthwhile for a journey with LPG at about 55 to 57 pence a litre.

Economy is not quite as good with LPG as whilst the octane rating is higher the calorific value is a bit lower than petrol - which is good for the emissions as virtually all the fuel is burnt so no real particulates and less CO2. So on the Discovery - certainly not the most fuel efficient vehicle in the world! - on petrol I would get 18 to 19 mpg whereas on LPG it would be a bit less at about 17 to 18 mpg. But with LPG at half the price of petrol this still equates cost wise to an equivalent to 34 to 36 mpg and I can live with that.

Good info at - http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/

If you have a diesel engine the LPG "conversion" as I understand it is not really a conversion at all. It is a piggy back addition system that squirts LPG in with the diesel to improve combustion characteristics so that you get a better burn therefore more power, better economy and lower emissions.

The Australians have been using such a system for some time on their large "Road Train" Lorries and smaller systems are now available world wide.

Again some useful info at - http://www.diesellpg.co.uk/

Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

I second the recommendation for Autogas 2000 Ltd. at Carlton Miniott. Chris Wise the proprietor, is a good person to deal with, and is always willing to give advice.

We bought all our parts to add a bulk tank to our motor home at competitive prices.

Regarding the diesel conversion, he did not recommend it, and this is also the opinion of their federation. Of course things may change.

• 1 month later...
CliveH - 2008-05-27 8:50 PM As a "tugger" I row with an LPG dual fuel Discovery and cannot praise LPG enough! - My second LPG vehicle is a 3.9L V8 and the engine just loves it. The Octane rating is higher than petrol at about 100 so the engine runs so smoothly it is very disappointing when I have to run it on petrol. Being dual fuel LPG availability is never really an issue but the price of petrol most certainly makes a bit of planning worthwhile for a journey with LPG at about 55 to 57 pence a litre. Economy is not quite as good with LPG as whilst the octane rating is higher the calorific value is a bit lower than petrol - which is good for the emissions as virtually all the fuel is burnt so no real particulates and less CO2. So on the Discovery - certainly not the most fuel efficient vehicle in the world! - on petrol I would get 18 to 19 mpg whereas on LPG it would be a bit less at about 17 to 18 mpg. But with LPG at half the price of petrol this still equates cost wise to an equivalent to 34 to 36 mpg and I can live with that. Good info at - http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/ If you have a diesel engine the LPG "conversion" as I understand it is not really a conversion at all. It is a piggy back addition system that squirts LPG in with the diesel to improve combustion characteristics so that you get a better burn therefore more power, better economy and lower emissions. The Australians have been using such a system for some time on their large "Road Train" Lorries and smaller systems are now available world wide. Again some useful info at - http://www.diesellpg.co.uk/ Hope this helps

im with this chap on lpg, i to have a disco and its just briliant, at 55.9 a ltr im geting 110 miles on £27 on a 3.9 v8 thats running a bit bad , the only doun side is you have to keep the ht leads good and do the spark plugs more often than you would on petral, and losen the clips on the inductoin hose of the fillters cos  if you let the ht leads go old and bad it will back fire in the engine bay and blow the plastic pipe up so by leting the clips go loos it will only blow the pipe off, and not damage it.

the gas tank is good for ten years as well befor cheking it for wall thikness. rust.

very recomended

Archived