Stiff hook-up

PetMice

Hi, the mains hook-up lead that came with our current van is thick and stiff, packing it away is like putting an uncooperative hyperactive 25m python with attitude to bed. It is pretty heavy and impossible to roll up neatly around the elbow, and if the weather is frosty it is even worse. Caravanners with their neatly trailed leads, as they wash the already clean windows of their pristine vans, look with disdain at our knotted, twisted embarrassment, dogs sniff at it with suspicion. I have to stuff it into a big supermarket trolley bag and tread it down a bit to get it into a locker. Every now and again I warm it up on a radiator at home so that I can straighten it out and coil it sort-of neatly, but it seems to be able to tangle itself again over night. Our previous lead (which we would have kept had we known) was quite soft, thinner and lighter, with a sort of ribbed surface I think, and I could coil it around my elbow neatly enough to fit under the cab seat (this monster is thicker and smoother, not unlike those thick heavy-duty jump leads). Anyone know where I can get one of the softer ones (and be sure when I get it home from a warm shop that it is not a stiffee in disguise)?

When I first started this camping lark I wound the cable round my arm like you and had the same problem. I was told that the best way to wind is to hold the first part of the cable in your left hand and walk the length gently looping the cabe as you go, coil should be about 2 to 3 foot diameter when coiled. Uncoil the opposite. These are right handed instructions. Hope they make sense!

Since then I have never had any kinking problems.

Peter

Thanks for the responses, I do appreciate it. I was able to wind my old cable exactly as shown on the video and described, in fact used to do a fancy figure of eight winding too because someone had said it is better for the cable, but I cannot with this one, especially if it is cold. To get an exaggerated idea of my problem, imagine my current (!!!) hook-up cable is not much more flexible than the wire they make metal coat-hangers from, with the knotting tendencies of a spiral telephone cable, but much thicker. It's a nightmare which is why I would rather replace it. To get it to roll onto a drum would be nice but would probably need a winch motor!!!

You don't say how old the cable is, but might the problem be age?  PVC insulated cables do stiffen with time, especially if they have been left out in the sun a lot.  Might be better to visit a decent caravan/motorhome accessories shop, and see what they have on offer at what prices.  Old insulation that has stiffened is prone to cracking so, if in doubt??

PetMice:

I agree with Brian.

Either buy a new 25m cable or, perhaps, consider keeping your present cable (once you've warmed it up nicely and coiled it tidily!) for 'emergencies' and purchase a new 10m cable that is likely to be long enough (based on my own experiences) for most occasions and a lot simpler to coil and store.

I carry two 10mt cables and find that in most circumstances one is sufficient but I can join two when necessary. Some years ago I saw a shaped plastic box designed to go around a joined cables and protect the plug & socket from rain but have not been able to find one recently, if anyone knows where to get them I'd be grateful for the info. I coil my cable by holding the socket and walking to the plug end so I have doubled the cable then I simply coil it putting in a twist at the same time. This action allow the coils to lay parallel, I then wrap some 1" velcro around the coil and store in the gas locker, works for me.

Thanks for all the replies. The lead is not old at all. It was new in its bag with a brand new van (Elddis) about 20 months ago (August) and was stiff from the first use. Comments about possible cracking due to its stiffness may be relevant though (thanks for those) even if age is not a factor so I would like to replace it. My previous lead was very similar in appearance and suppleness to the one on my Flymo, nice and flexible (and older than this one), I assume this one came from the accessories shop where I bought the van, so I will try somewhere else; that was the nearest motorhome dealers to us but still 120 miles round trip away so it will have to be on our travels. Just wondered whether anyone has had to replace theirs recently and managed to get one not unlike a Flymo lead, if so where from? The Flymo lead is easy to coil, lies flat and doesn't knot up.

A lot of ordinary camping shops do them now because a lot of the big family tents use hook up. Or you could try a DIY shop, the bigger ones might have them. Or just wait until you next go away for a week end or day out and head towards a dealers or accessories shop on the way.

PetMice - 2008-04-26 11:32 AM Thanks for all the replies. The lead is not old at all. It was new in its bag with a brand new van (Elddis) about 20 months ago (August) and was stiff from the first use. Comments about possible cracking due to its stiffness may be relevant though (thanks for those) even if age is not a factor so I would like to replace it. My previous lead was very similar in appearance and suppleness to the one on my Flymo, nice and flexible (and older than this one), I assume this one came from the accessories shop where I bought the van, so I will try somewhere else; that was the nearest motorhome dealers to us but still 120 miles round trip away so it will have to be on our travels. Just wondered whether anyone has had to replace theirs recently and managed to get one not unlike a Flymo lead, if so where from? The Flymo lead is easy to coil, lies flat and doesn't knot up.

A Flymo will draw maybe 1KW.  Your hook up lead will be rated for the max load permissible on the connectors, nominally 16A, or around 3.7KW.  That is why the new cable is much stouter than a Flymo lead.  If the max you will ever use in your van is around 1KW, a lighter cable could be used.  If unsure what would be suitable, consult an electrician.  However, if you have the ubiquitous 3KW electric kettle, or a fan heater, you'll just have to stick with the heavier cable.  It's all about horses for courses, or overheated cables.  :-)

Mr Grumpy:

I think you may be thinking of the "Rugby Ball" waterproof connector enclosure as shown towards the bottom of the web-page accessed by the following link:

http://www.heatinfra-red.com/Special%20Offers.html

It's also offered for sale for £8.99 towards the bootom of:

http://www.east-coast-leisure.co.uk/modules/shop/products.asp?catid=4&rangeid=194&cat=Mains%20Hook%20Ups

Worth noting that this product is intended to protect the joint between cables using UK 13A 3-pin plug/socket connectors rather than the CEE type used on leisure-vehicle hook-up cables. Not sure if there's a waterproof enclosure for CEE-connector joints (it would be a pretty hefty thing and I doubt that there would be much of a market for it), but well wrapping the joint in some plastic and taping the result securely should be OK unless the joint were actually submerged.

I have the rugby ball type of "Plug & socket protecter" for my lawn mower cable. It is as it says a "Protecter", not really water tight. Keeps it off wet grass, and keeps out the odd shower, and a small child could not open it and play with the plug & socket. It is only big enough to take a house hold type of 13amp plug & socket, camping type of 'hook-up cable' will not fit in it.

Archived