Dealers

tilly123

I don`t know if I am aloud to ask this question, but here goes.

Is there anywhere an authorised or unauthorised list of dealers, stating their standing in the used motorhome trade with their good points and bad points. How do I know when I approach a dealer that I am about to

shake hands with Del Boys younger brother.

An interesting idea and, if there were such a list, I'm sure we'd all like to have access to it. Unfortunately, there isn't.

All I can suggest is that you study the Dealers of Year awards-listing published in MMM January 2008 and read, mark, learn and inwardly-digest (as my French teacher was fond of saying) the advice given in the "Buying a Secondhand Motorhome" section printed in MMM each month. You might also wish to consider obtaining John Wickersham's latest book "Motorcaravanning Handbook - buying, owning, enjoying" (Haynes Publishing, £12.99)

Rather like two dogs meeting for the first time, a guarded wariness between salesman and potential buyer is no bad thing. I remember the late sales director of a large motorhome manufacturer being described as friendly, helpful, knowledgeable - but count your fingers after shaking hands with him! Very few motorhome salesmen have a Derek Trotter mentality, but they aren't Mother Teresas either.

I guess it would be difficult to provide a forum like the one you suggest due to legal reasons - a lot of what the members would say would be 'alleged' anyway.

For example, one of the large companies near Preston has some good and some bad reviews. I took my motor home there this week for some minor work and I have never been treated so efficiently by the office staff and rather than make me do a second hundred mile trip, they delivered my mh to my door the following day. The office girl, Kate, was so polite and understanding and efficient to the point of Sainthood.

I guess at the end of the day, one man's meat is another man's poison. Joy

Now here's an interesting one, was at Brownhill's pitch at Peterborough today, had a long hard look at La Strada Regent, when saleman was asked why it was marked down by £10,000, wasn't told it was because they were in administration and they need to clear stock

Here we are again, if we want this type of advertising, we look in the back of the magazine.

They can put it where the burnt hot dogs ought to go.

Why does the moderator pass this rubbish?

Stuart

Actually I don't think all these opinions and views are rubbish: as a relatively new forum user, it is refreshing to read real people's experiences told with humour and honesty. It is also useful as a potential new motorhomer to have some recommendations. LORNA

Stuart - 2008-05-01 8:44 PM

Here we are again, if we want this type of advertising, we look in the back of the magazine.

Stuart

Sorry you are miffed, Stuart, but I think that personal recommendation is better than any advert in a amagazine.

I'm sure that John Cross posting wasn't there when I replied to Stuart - there's definately something strange going on with the forum today.

At the moment the main forum page is showing the lastest posting on motorhome matters to be 8.28 on the Major Fiat/Peugeot/Citreon thread.

Think the gremlins have snook in *-)

Archived