Fuel Shortage Scotland

Hymer C 9.

Well we are at present on holiday in Scotland on our way up to Lock Lomond booked on to Luss site, what do you do carry on cut short the holiday and hope the fuel does not run out. We were going a lot higher up to the isles but are not so sure now.

The knock on affects, to the tourist industry in the next few weeks are bound to be hit, because if we were not already here would have had a change of plan. Hope it sorts itself out soon.

What would you do. Carol.

Hard to say what you can do Carol. The government insists that there will not be any problem as they have been building up reserves for some time.

I should think you need to try to keep at least half a tank and not wander too far north.

No doubt they will look after city folk first so I would suggest that you need to be able to get back down to the Clyde area.

It's a difficult decision for you as you can never rely on anything the 'authourities' tell you these days, so, whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

:-(

Hello Carol, Was wondering how you are going to cope, It has come at the worst possible time for you, People are panic buying, here in the south

which will not help matters at all. I sincerely hope you can continue, as you are now at Loch Lomond, beautiful isn,t it.? and I know how much you were enjoying yourself, What a situation to be in, Good luck to you both,

Regards Ria.

Carol.

If I were you I would hang fire at Luss for a day or two. If you have a full tank of fuel, if the worst happens you would be able be able to get back down to the Lake District for fuel to get you home.

I certainly would not make a hasty decision to come back south.

I wouldnt panic too much as the panic seems to have died down a bit around here today...as for up north the west coast gets fuel deliveries from ships and these are still running.....the last fuel blockade a few years ago we were at Skye and did panic but the pumps kept running with no problems.

I am heading up north next week but hopefully by then the panic will have dispelled.

Check the BBC website for scottish news as it gives a regional breakdown of any fuel shortages.

We are heading north (of Ullapool) on Tuesday 29th and were worried about having enough fuel for the return trip. I've just had an email from the owner of the site we are heading for to say that supplies are currently okay in the north west. This of course doesn't mean supplies will remain okay, so instead of the big expedition we'd planned we'll curtail it and stay longer on the first site on our planned list.

We're due to travel up to Oban on 16th May, then get the ferry to Barra on 17th for 10 days on the Western Isles, then back to Ullapool and a few days on the mainland heading back down to the midlands on 30th May.

I know it's a few weeks away but does anyone think this could be problematic (esp. the Islands bit?)

Thanks

Griff

Here on Bute today fuel situation is fairly normal. There are some garages rationing but only 5 out of 1000 in Scotland were actually out of fuel.

As usual the gutter press are winding it up and in reality it isn't as bad as it looks from outside.

We have a jazz festival here this weekend and our advice is to still come. By all means fill up when you stop for a break. The strike is over tomorrow (Tuesday 28th) and things will get back to normal.

Looks like a huge thunderstorm over by Loch Lomond so I hope there aren't many people staying there. www.butejazz.com (lol)

Blow Scotland! Our local garage has run out of petrol! We filled up the camper last night at Tesco when coming home from Peterborough, no problem. Went to the local garage today to get fuel for the car as it's on reserve and they didn't have any. If we don't get any tomorrow we'll be draining the lawn mower just to get to work!!!!! 8-)

Agree with you Argyler. I think the press & TV are making matters worse.

We were shopping in Dumfries today, no queues at any petrol station, all had petrol. The checkout assistant said they had had no problems.

I'm sure one or two petrol stations did run out due to panic buying but it seems everything is under control.

We are due to go North any day and don't feel concerned.

griffly16 - 2008-04-29 11:08 AM

Thanks for the replies - all good news then. Trip to Hebrides still on :-D :-D . Can't wait

Griff

Griffly16

Are you aware of the wild camping site at Barra airport ?

Water normally available from a tap on the end of the airport building and toilet emptying facilities about a mile away at Eoligarry.

Have a good trip.

griffly16 - 2008-04-29 1:52 PM

Are you aware of the wild camping site at Barra airport ?

I am now Malc :-D

Thanks.

Any such facilities on N/S Uist, Eriskay and Harris/Lewis?

Hebrides came up as a subject on 18 April 08 on Motorhome Matters.

If you click back to page 3 you will get a lot more info for your trip.

;-)

Archived