BROWNHILLS IN ADMINISTRATION

Derek Uzzell

BROWNHILLS IN ADMINISTRATION

Evidently the whole Brownhills Group is now in administration.

This is mentioned in the "Hymer UK" forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11610&posts=10

but forum members may not have picked up the fact from the thread's title or may be unaware that Hymer(UK) and Brownhills can (in this instance) be considered the same company.

The situation is dealt with in more depth on

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-44512.html

(I hope forum members will agree with me that it is important this matter is debated seriously and factually. So can we please try to ensure that discussion about it does not descend into the point-scoring, back-biting levels of childish squabbling that have become increasingly commonplace on these forums recently.)

Derek

As far as I know, there has been a "Management" buyout of the Brownhills group.A statement will be issued by this coming Wednesday.

My only concern at the moment is the warranty issue of things. Will the new company just honour only warranty work on a vehicle bought since the buyout, or will they be honouring all warranty work whether the vehicle was bought before or after the management buyout.??

I suppose I'll have to wait until the statement is made by the new Management team.

Thai

Guest JudgeMental

Surely any warranty issued are from German parent company. so if brownhills continue in another form, or another company takes over the Hymer brand you will have to wait and see once the smoke clears. But warranty work can be arranged with other company's I am sure, and paid for by Germany.

IMO they have totally mismanaged the brand (and EuraMobil which they lost recently as well) and help persuade many of us th purchase LHD imports...I for one will not be shedding a tear.

I am sure it wont be long till another group steps in for what must be potentially the most lucrative brand around (as Don Armott has with EuraMobil)

Guest JudgeMental

Sorry I forgot to say, I would treat any talk of "a management buy out" with caution as its far to early to say.

JudgeMental - 2008-04-27 12:11 PM

Surely any warranty issued are from German parent company. so if brownhills continue in another form, or another company takes over the Hymer brand you will have to wait and see once the smoke clears. But warranty work can be arranged with other company's I am sure, and paid for by Germany.

IMO they have totally mismanaged the brand (and EuraMobil which they lost recently as well) and help persuade many of us th purchase LHD imports...I for one will not be shedding a tear.

I am sure it wont be long till another group steps in for what must be potentially the most lucrative brand around (as Don Armott has with EuraMobil)

Steady on there yer honour,I dont need my head examined.I ordered a new Auto-trail 840 from Brownhills at Peterborough yesterday,got a cracking deal,delivery in six to eight weeks.I was assured that the company were sound,I left them a £500 cash deposit,(which I later took back and used a card),just in case,ye ken!If the company goes belly up I will get my cash back,otherwise I still have a terrific deal.seamus.

(lol) (lol)

It's worth mentioning again. If you are giving a deposit to ANY dealer make sure you pay by credit card and not cheque/cash. You then have recourse to the credit card company for your money back if the dealer goes out of business the wrong way.

Given that there is a propensity for people not to be confused by the facts where Brownhills is concerned, is anyone sure of the full technicalities here.

I have seen the words "Brownhills in Receivership" (which I doubt is the case, "Brownhills in Administration", which is possible, but doesn't really fit the time-line of what has happened. (An administrator has the duty to get the best deal for creditors when a company goes into administration, and it is unlikely that he would immediately accept an MBO - not least from the existing management team - without taking time to look for alternative bids). The timescale between the announcements looks rather too short for this.

The fact that there has been/is to be an MBO seems now to be irrefutable - is anyone at all clear that this is not simply a case of an MBO of a going concern?

The latter fits the timing, the scenario of continued trading without anyone (apparently) making it clear that they are in administration, etc.

If this latter is the case, then anyone with outstanding 'trade' with Brownhills is in no different position to where they were previously, and being clear what is happening might add some comfort to those people.

Of course, the current people financing Brownhills (I suspect it is mainly the Banks) may well be happy to accept an MBO (they will have visibilityof the current financial state of the business, and may be prepared to cut their losses).

Others may think it is an astute move by the management team to drive the company to a point where they can make a cut-price bid.

Frankly, I'm not sure that anyone has yet demonstrated full enough facts to base a judgement on.

Is anyone clear that they have gone through Administration?

I was told by a (normally) very reliable source on Saturday afternoon that Brownhills had gone into administration on Friday and three hours later a mangement buyout was done (carried out, arranged or whatever the proper terminology is). Other than that its probably best to wait until the actual release of official information which I'm told is supposed to happen on Wednesday this week.

D.

Guest JudgeMental

I consult for Metronet who have been in "administration" for a while.... every communication no matter how trivial has a Long post script explaining who is in charge and formal details of the insolvency....

Companies House: "While a company is in administration, every business document issued by or on behalf of the company or the administrator must state the name of the administrator and that he or she is managing the affairs, business and property of the company".

Also (courtesy MHF) a Company house search reveals that there tax return is red flagged as overdue since January

So to carry on taking monies as if nothing has happened surely must be regarded as highly suspect *-)

Just read the article in the link. Whatever does this quote mean?

“The new company can be viewed as a family business with family values.”

Either it IS a family business (which usually means owned and run by the members of a family) or it ISN'T, - and if it isn't, it can't be "viewed as" one!

And exactly what does he mean by "family values," and what relevance do they have to running a motorhome dealership?

Tony Jones - 2008-04-28 4:36 PM

Just read the article in the link. Whatever does this quote mean?

“The new company can be viewed as a family business with family values.”

It's a bit like you and Howie, Tony, you know, when you've got loads of dosh you're one of the family, when you haven't he doesn't know who you are when you come a begging ... :D

Guest JudgeMental
seamus - 2008-04-27 8:15 PM

I left them a £500 cash deposit,(which I later took back and used a card),just in case,ye ken!If the company goes belly up I will get my cash back,otherwise I still have a terrific deal.seamus.

(lol) (lol)

Welcome to the forum seamus, I believe if the motorhome value is over £30.000 then deposit paid by credit card are not covered....

Anyway, why should the rest of us be liable for such financial flippancy :-D

Thank you for that yer honour! I do understand what you are saying,however,I have been dealing with Brownhills for quite some time(eight new vans)and am happy with the way I have been treated,probably a selfish perspective as I know a lot of people have not been happy with Brownhills and I am sorry that that should be so. I think however, that there must be lots of Brownhills customers who are happy with them,we will never know!So long as Brownhills can give me unbeatable deals they will get my business.I hope I do not have to come on here in two or three months to say I am taking them to court. (lol) (lol) ,regards,seamus

Guest JudgeMental

Well...If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, sounds like a rat, and acts like a rat, is it still a rat? :-D

scam to avoid overdue January tax returns? etc...... :-D

I don't think so, I hear that a lot of the original staff have left and gone to other dealerships/trades.

I sincerely hope for all of the existing Brownhills customers that things get turned around and their promises of better customer care come to fruition, if not, then everyone is a looser. :-|

Robinhood - 2008-04-28 1:07 PM

Given that there is a propensity for people not to be confused by the facts where Brownhills is concerned, is anyone sure of the full technicalities here.

I have seen the words "Brownhills in Receivership" (which I doubt is the case, "Brownhills in Administration", which is possible, but doesn't really fit the time-line of what has happened. (An administrator has the duty to get the best deal for creditors when a company goes into administration, and it is unlikely that he would immediately accept an MBO - not least from the existing management team - without taking time to look for alternative bids). The timescale between the announcements looks rather too short for this.

The fact that there has been/is to be an MBO seems now to be irrefutable - is anyone at all clear that this is not simply a case of an MBO of a going concern?

The latter fits the timing, the scenario of continued trading without anyone (apparently) making it clear that they are in administration, etc.

If this latter is the case, then anyone with outstanding 'trade' with Brownhills is in no different position to where they were previously, and being clear what is happening might add some comfort to those people.

Of course, the current people financing Brownhills (I suspect it is mainly the Banks) may well be happy to accept an MBO (they will have visibilityof the current financial state of the business, and may be prepared to cut their losses).

Others may think it is an astute move by the management team to drive the company to a point where they can make a cut-price bid.

Frankly, I'm not sure that anyone has yet demonstrated full enough facts to base a judgement on.

Is anyone clear that they have gone through Administration?

This clear enough?

http://www.gazettes.co.uk/ViewGazetteDocument.aspx?src=search&atdocid=4825973&pg=1&GeoType=London&st=basic&all=brownhills%20motorhomes

Certainly is (as regards administration, but this is now after some days and multiple posts of the same info you're referencing B-) )

The full picture most certainly still isn't clear. however.

The speed at which events took place, and the way they unfolded goes a good way to support suggestions elsewhere of what has been called a pre-pack arrangement.

My main concern has been to encourage people to wait for the facts before panicking (especially those who have deposits or warranties at risk).

Whilst the legal position would certainly be better if it were a straight change of ownership, there are at least signs that things might not be as bad as they could be.

A number of people seem to be rejoicing at any sign of downfall, without any concern for either the affected people, or the overall future of the industry.

It is clear that opinion on Brownhills is mixed (one might say polarised).

FWIW I have been a customer (on and off) for more almost 20 years, and though I have had some issues with them, they have generally offered me good deals, and with some frustrations (but firm and fair persuasion) they have ultimately given me acceptable (if not always outstanding) service.

From that, I might take the stance that one gets the service one deserves - others might (and quite validly given their particular experience) dispute that.

The one company that gave me a worse deal (on a 'van I particularly wanted) but noticeably better service went bust (you can conjecture).

My opinion is that the industry would be noticeably less competitive without the likes of Brownhills, and that the opinions about many of the other major players also seems polarised.

At the end of the day, a revived Brownhills should help to keep up competition, and everyone will have the choice of dealing with them or not (caveat emptor).

Clearly the dust has yet to settle on this affair but for the detractors of Brownhills (and there seem to be many) my personal experience has been good both in terms of the deal I originally got and in the back up service. As in any business its the people at the sharp end that make the difference and I hope for the sake of the many good people at Clifton (Preston) as well as customers and the industry generally that the Management Buy out works out and that the promise regarding deposits and warranty claims will be honoured.

Archived