Fly Screen Repair

Hopesy

I've managed to create a small hole and tear in the fly screen on the door (by travelling with levelling chocks in the foot well because i was lazy, i know i know).

Does anyone have any tips for repairing said hole (and getting me out of one)? (?)

How big is the hole ?

can you patch it ?

If not and it is smaller you could just use thread . It would have to be sewn very delicately other than that you could always by a motife from the sewing shop one thats suits your taste butterflys or something . Make sure it is soft enough that your fly screen retracts back into the housing .

I hope that helps .

Guest Tracker

If the hole is down at foot well level - does there need to be a flyscreen down there?

If not, maybe a hardboard, plastic or formica, or similar insert to cover the whole of the damaged lower section might be an option?

That way you could carry on carrying your chocs there without worry?

Just a thought!

Not keen on the iron-on suggestion. You WILL end up with a hole the size of the iron :-S Plastic and heat don't mix!

Here are a couple of alternative ideas:

a) Google the manufacturer of your screen door and contact them. Phone #'s, email addr will be on their website...and ask for some material to patch the hole.

b) Try to locate a swimming pool company who constructs pool screen enclosures (not too common in the UK, I know, but worth a try). These enclosures are made with similar fly/bug proof screen mesh that is used in screen doors and hatches on M/Hs and boats.

c) If you know anyone travelling to the USA, ask them to pick up a screen repair kit from Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, I had to repair ours. The 'mesh' is available from Camping and General, Canvey Island Essex (and no doubt from other outlets) and all you need to do is remove the round rubber inserts that trap the mesh into the door and the old mesh comes out. You cut the new mesh to size from the old 'pattern'. Then the tricky bit cover the opening and prise the rubber strip fixings back into the grove in the surround whilst trapping the mesh and keeping it taught. This is assuming that your flyscreen is the same type as ours, if not the mesh is available but you will have to determine how it is fixed to the door.

Bas

Good find pelicanpete, that gives pictures of what I was describing, however whilst it is probably preferable to have and use the proper tool to reisert the holding strips it is by no means essential I was able to do it without by using normal tools and just pressing it in a small amount at a time. Clearly much slower but where would anyone obtain a concave strip replacer?

Bas

Archived