drop down bed in a van conversion.

thecokells

Hi. We are new to the camper van world but have decided that the best design for us would be a van conversion (for the width) with a drop down bed over the front seats and a single transverse bed at the back with garage under. Has anyone come across such a conversion and, if so, can you recommend any firms to do the work? Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks Mr.Grumpy. We know of the Hymers but they are wider than a panel van. I don't think I made it too clear in the original message that it is a panel van conversion we want so that it is not too wide - we do a lot of walking and so it would end up being driven down some quite narrow roads.

Hi there,

There aren't many van conversions with drop down beds, we've enjoyed out La Strada Regent L for 8 years or so. The second bed is a double made from the travel seats underneath the the drop down bed. There's quite alot of storage at the rear but not enough space for normal bikes, although folding ones or a folding wheel chair fitted quite nicely, along with all the usual chairs, table and wind break for sitting outside.

Good luck with your quest

alan

I'm not aware of a panel van that meets your criteria. There are quite a few out there now with a drop down roof bed (you need to be a bit athletic to get in and out), but I've not seen any with this and a rear bed, or indeed any van conversions with a bed up front and at the rear (I stand to be corrected in case I've missed any!), however I did see one van whilst I was at the Peterborough show, but can't remember the make at the moment, that had a large rear lounge with a small inward facing dinette arrangement at the front which you might be able to make into a single bed but it would be quite narrow. They may also do it in a fixed bed arrangement at the back as well but then you'd only have the small seating area at the front for normal use.

The panel vans with drop down beds are quite pricey. The alternative could be to look for one with a panel that pulls across to form an upper bed (usually for a child/children) and seating down below that makes into a double or 2 single beds.

There are two I know of.

One of the new Adria's, Maxvan? this is similier to Twin but rear bed is a little smaller, and it has drop down at front.This is based on Fiat so take your chance with developement problems.

Next is Maesss two very similieer to twin, Mini 4 is fixed rear bed and dropdown at front, Mini 5 is rear lounge which makes up to bed and drop down at front, normaly these are on Fiat base but have option of Renault, but they may not have yet produced a RHD version.

p.s. and of cause there is Devon and Danbury who make vans that have rear bed and front that converts drivers/passenger seats

From your original post it seems you are looking for a tailor-made conversion.

If so, Youngs do do van conversions with a longitudinal drop-down double bed in a conventional LWB panel van such as a Renault Mster or Fiat Ducato. The advertise in MMM and are in the listings that appear at intervals in MMM. They are based in Bletchley, Milton Keynes.

The SEA range of van conversionbs includes at least one model with a similar drop-down bed arrangement.

Mel E

====

Archived