Taking food abroad

maggyd

Hi Maggy,

When we go to mainland Europe our first stop, especially from the Tunnel, is always Carrefour @ Cite Europe - minutes from the French side of the tunnel. We just stock up on the fresh produce - fruit/veg/bread/meat (& bottles of French beer)- as it is so much cheaper there and by the time we get there our fridge/freezer is nice and cold, ready and waiting.(lol)

We always take some pre-cooked food to warm up for the first main meal and as we use Soya milk we take enough for the journey as my French is not up to translating some of the names on labels. *-)

I am sure you will have a great time and fresh food and meat is always available, even on the smallest site. As long as you have enough goodies for your dog, you can always take advantage of the scrumptious and usually inexpensive local meals too??? - makes for less washing up ;-)

Enjoy your trip B-)

catinou - 2008-05-02 3:03 PM

Hi Maggy,

When we go to mainland Europe our first stop, especially from the Tunnel, is always Carrefour @ Cite Europe - minutes from the French side of the tunnel. We just stock up on the fresh produce - fruit/veg/bread/meat (& bottles of French beer)- as it is so much cheaper there and by the time we get there our fridge/freezer is nice and cold, ready and waiting.(lol)

We always take some pre-cooked food to warm up for the first main meal and as we use Soya milk we take enough for the journey as my French is not up to translating some of the names on labels. *-)

I am sure you will have a great time and fresh food and meat is always available, even on the smallest site. As long as you have enough goodies for your dog, you can always take advantage of the scrumptious and usually inexpensive local meals too??? - makes for less washing up ;-)

Enjoy your trip B-)

Thanks very much catinou that is very helpfull as O.H. isnt keen o n me loading up before we get there. Margaret. :-D

we take some milk for oh's cuppa, and some muesli/health biscuits to snack on just in case we're hungry at an awkward time - some rice n pasta n tinned tuna or similar n cuppa soup to make a sauce are always in the van.

but invariably bring everything but the milk back untouched - much prefer the food 'over there' and you can always get fresh bread n cakes (lol) at just about anytime.

can't understand people taking masses of food when supplies are so good when you get there.

btw - I think SOYA is soya in most euro languages

B-)

Margaret,

You will have to take no notice of him he loves pulling peoples legs :D

We have decided to go at the end of May well thats if there is any room on the shuttle as we have left it late .

We tend to take tea & coffe sugar milk juice for the kids.

Biscuits weetabix and cornflakes or any two cereals for breakfast + i never buy them over there as sometimes they dont get eat and I end up coming back with more if i have to buy again.

A nice fresh loaf butter and stuff to knock up a few sandwiches

I suppose it all depends on the indiviual when we stop on the road whilst travelling we dont like to cook i actually find it a pain and I certainly dont want to be wasihng dishes on my travells But each to their own whats sauce for one isnt for the other . i take things that I know they wont have english things but it saying that the supermarkets over there are 10 a penny and they are all over the place with no height restrictions like some of ours . I know you will be excited taking the van the first time but i bet youthrouhgly enjoy it and have a wonderful time .

Nothing like poodling along and stopping where you fancy takes you .

have a great time and just enjoy relax and meander .

Things to take:

butter - you sometimes can only get the non-salted type (as opposed to slightly salted)

Heinz tomato ketchup - it can be pricey there, if you can get it

Cheddar cheese - we love the stuff (sorry, I just can't abide the soft stuff), and although you can get chedder in some supermarkets now it can be hellish expensive.

As for not taking much food, as we found to our cost last year when we got really bad sunburn, having a good stock of food on board can be very useful indeed, there was no way I could go shopping for food for at least 5 days, I only just managed a slow waddle to the bakers most day.

Oh dear sunstroke is horrible :-( I tend not to sit in the sun these days I try to find the shade if I can! the trouble is were not used to it are we? mind you mentioned tomatoe ketchup and I think I read somewhere that IT is good for sunburn :-D, yes I will take our Benecol we dont eat butter but we will probably end up buying something there, if its hot even in the fridge it could go off in six weeks! Im hoping though to have a break from doing a lot of cooking but that depends on the price of eating out it is probably costly eating out all the time and to tell the truth I begrudge it every day :-S anyway we can always eat jam and bread cant we?? :-D

Mel B - 2008-05-03 11:53 PM

Things to take:

butter - you sometimes can only get the non-salted type (as opposed to slightly salted)

Heinz tomato ketchup - it can be pricey there, if you can get it

Butter- Every Supermarket has different kinds of butter. Ordinary (doux), half salt (demi-sel) Light - can't think of the English word for it (Legere), Light - half salt (legere demi-sel). they also do all the usual Margarines,yuk!!!, you should see what goes into margarine, a butter type spread that is made with olive oil and also one that is made with sunflower oil, so I don't think you should have to worry about taking butter, just take enough for a few days.

Tomato ketchup - OK if you want Heinz you will pay for it but I have never seen as many different kinds of tomato ketchup that are available here.

Now - Brown sauce is the thing that we can't get (brown gold) You can buy HP but at a price and I don't like it that much to pay that much for it.

Baked beans are another thing that are pricey - English type, you can buy Haricot beans in tomato sauce but they don't taste the same.

Everything else there is a French equivalent for. Bring a good dictionary, not one of those electronic translator things, waste of time and money.

Bring a good dictionary, not one of those electronic translator things, waste of time and money.

Woops too late (lol) but I agree testing it its rubbish ! but it was from Aldi so not much lost! I did give my Son a French dictionary but Ill borrow it back.

Archived