Dogs to Italy

dogmad

Hi all

We'd been planning to visit Belgium, Netherlands and then Lake Garda, Italy in Sept, so I ordered the Caravan Club Europe book covering those areas. The book arrived and when brousing through it I noticed that in Italy dogs must be muzzled in public places.

Since we are taking 2 very spoilt dogs with us, I was wondering if this info is to be taken literaly? If so we certainly won't be visiting Italy.

Can anyone advise please,

Carol

We spent 4 weeks in Italy last year, including a week at Lake Garda, and never saw a dog wearing a muzzle. The CC advised that dogs do need to be muzzled in public places, including camp sites, but this was never enforced. I would suggest that you do take two muzzles with you as sods law dictates that if you do not have them someone will want to apply the law.

The only time it may be applied is on public transport, we have traveled through Italy and never had a problem but it may be best to carry a couple of cheep ones, you never know. Some sites especialy in the main holiday period will not accept dogs but you should be Ok outside these periods

Thanks both for your helpful replies. I'm still considering whether it's worth chancing it, I know our dogs would be most distressed if muzzled and that would spoil our holiday too. Perhaps we'd be better off sticking to dog-friendly France.

I travel a couple of times a year to France and as yet have not taken my dog. Usually go to South coast and travel back over 2 days but understand I would have to find a vet on way back to have my dog anti-flea and worm treated! Not sure how easy this is? Can anyone advise, please? i travel by autoroute so don't go through small towns!

We use a vet in Everux near Rouen, very easy to get to and the receptionist speaks English so you could book over the phone although we use "Dogs Away". Using the Autoroute you could make the coast in one day but we take two and do our shopping on the way. If Everux is convenient and you want the details let me know.

Thanks, Mr Grumpy. What is 'dogs away'?

Only 1 driver and not in hurry so usually take 2 or 3 days to travel back.

Any one else stop somewhere else or has a different experience?

Archived