which insurance company for hiring out your van?

MandyAndy

Friends of ours are in the process of buying a van which they intend hiring out to help fund the cost. They are having trouble however finding a company to insure it for them. They know it is possible to just insure it for the time it is out, and not have to do it for 365 days of the year.

Has anyone got any ideas of companies they could try, they have done the Safeguard, Caravan Guard, NFU but no luck,

Many thanks in anticipation

Mandy

Guest JudgeMental

This is a contentious issue and fraught with difficulties.....

some of the private hire companies where you hire out your van through them and they arrange insurance claim to be legal - but I am not so sure......

here is a few I found with a quick search.

http://www.motorholme.co.uk/

http://www.motorhomecamperhireuk.co.uk/7.html

another way is to insure on a hire and reward policy, but this will be difficult to find and expensive.

The main problem as I see it is this. my insurance with XYZ prohibits private hire. I hire it through one of these "private hire" companies and they arrange insurance. But what happens if your motorhome is damaged or written of - how do you explain this to your original company......

Guest JudgeMental

There is a similar question over on MHF at the moment and someone has pointed out that...

'Theft by Hirer' and 'Fire by Hirer' clauses. And that not all insurance companies offer cover for this *-)

Hi Judge,

That was my friend judge, I told her to go and try on there to see if she had any more luck.

She has spent all day still trying to find cover, she has the same problem as many with the double insurance cover so may have re insure all their vehicles in order to sort it.

The people they rented off themselves have offered to help and just take a nominal amount of percentage of their rental to the customer.

Feel sorry for them now as they are beginning to wonder if they have jumped the gun in placing the order for the van.

Thanks for your help

Mandy

Archived