safari rooms

booboo

hi everybody, i got a safari room from a friend its a fiamma that fits a 3.5mtr awning ,it didnt fit his new motorhome so i gratefully took it off his hands. only problem is when i clapped eyes on it i about died at the size off the thing,i thought somebody had zipped up a canoe in a bag :-D ,ive got it in my under rear lounge storage but its killing my storage a bit.im getting ladders fitted at the dealers in three weeks and im starting to think maybe roof bars too and put a roof box on ,but i was wondering if anybody on the forum had tried to fit a safari room into a roof box before and if so what size of roof box did you use,it was just a idea i had whether any good im sure you will advise me,will only use the thing every now and again but my vans in secure storage so i like everything on the van just incase needed. CHEERS KEITH.

Hi again booboo, I think the reply is really good advice. We have a safari room which came with the van, We have a large top box which also came with the van. Two things to think about. In our case we have used the safari room about 3 times in 3 years. Its just a pointless peice of equipment for us. Ours too is massive in a bag and takes up so much room. When you go somewhere and put it up you find that if you want to go anywhere it becomes a bit of a pain. As for the top box? with ours on it uses more liquid gold, cutting down by about 2-3 mpg. On one trip up to scotland the wind was really bad and coupled with the top box we nearly ended up going backwards up the m6. As you say it also effects payload somewhat asw ours is not light.

So as another poster said I would perhaps leave it where it is right now and see if you get enough use out of it to justify the expense of a top box.

Incidently my top box is now in my back garden and my safari room is now in my shed unused for about 18 months. If you go to a show or something then they cna be useful but me, I just winde out the awning and use that space itself.

We have a safari room and a top box and wouldnt be without any of them, if we are staying more than two/ three days the safari room gets put up very easily. storage we pack the safari room flat in sections and place in top box, poles etc in locker, we also two a car and trailer and havent noticed a great deal of difference in fuel consumption, we just find both very helpfull when we are staying abroad for a longer time, whilst maybe do without car, certainly would not be without Safari room and these long stays, the extra space and outside kitchen is great. (lol)

as horse444 says if you are on a extended stay the they would be a godsend, on my previous vans (panel van conversions) we had a caravan awning fitted with 2 small boys it was a absoulte must, doubled your living space. but now boys are teenagers they prefer to lie on bunks playing PSP's or listening to ipods, so as i say depends on each individual as to how much use it will get ;-)

horse444 - 2008-04-29 10:38 AM

We have a safari room and a top box and wouldnt be without any of them, if we are staying more than two/ three days the safari room gets put up very easily. storage we pack the safari room flat in sections and place in top box, poles etc in locker, we also two a car and trailer and havent noticed a great deal of difference in fuel consumption, we just find both very helpfull when we are staying abroad for a longer time, whilst maybe do without car, certainly would not be without Safari room and these long stays, the extra space and outside kitchen is great. (lol)

I completely agree, if your towing a car and can site your van for anylength of time then that of course is great, however most of us dont tow cars. What you relate to is what we would do when we had a caravan, awning up , rolliebollies, done steadies down, unpack nose weight items, unhitch, level up, and then off in the car to explore, Those were the days 8-)

Archived