which U-shaped model?

LORNA

As potential new motorhomers in the near future, we have narrowed our choice down to U-shaped layouts suitable for 2 people. I'd be very grateful for comments onor experiences of the following models: Autocruise Starfire, Autosleepter Legend and Compass Avantgarde. Thanks

Hi, we have the Avantgarde 120, delighted with it. Getting very close to 30mpg, and fantastic to drive. Comfortable, easy-to-make bed, great cooker/fridge, and a sensible size at just over 19ft long. Slightly small fresh water tank, but easy enough to refill on site.

Hope this helps :-D

You have obviously done your homework to have narrowed your search which helps matters from this point.

We had an Auto-sleepers Legend. We liked it very much and only sold it because we were putting to much mileage on it.

We found it reliable, comfortable, nice to drive.

We had no problems with it and there was nothing that we did not like about it.

Friends of ours had an Autocruise Colt, same layout as Starfire but on an Iveco base.

One of the best bolted together motorhomes i've spent any amount of time in. Lovely finish inside & out, a comfy, homely feel & a fantastic swing wall bathroom. Only downside IMO is the power hungry diesel heating which i don't think the Starfire has anyway.

You could do alot worse than an Autocruise, their reputation for quality vans is well acknowledged.

Good luck & happy hunting.

Bryan

Thanks to all who have replied - it is reassuring to know that all 3 models have their fans! Now our quest is to find one in our price range - looking forward to working towards that final conclusion! One query: Autosleeper Legends are older models now - would a good example of the type be worth purchasing? Look forward to hearing all and any views, LORNA

Hi Lorna, you can't really go wrong with an old Legend, monocoque fibre glass body, a good solid built job, no wood frames to rot, nice smooth lines, slips through the air like a well greased flash off lightning, and how often do hear a complaint about the old rear wheel drive Ford Transits? Best of luck with what ever you choose.............

Hi Lorna, whichever 'van you opt for I'd advise careful scrutiny of weights and payloads. The Auto Sleeper is a good solid built motorhome but that GRP monocoque is quite heavy. If we were in the market for a newer motorhome the Avantgarde 120 would be very high on our list.

D.

Guest Tracker
Autocruise Starspirit is a good spacious van with lots of storage and a huge double (or two singles) bed and if you can find one with Air ride and a 2.3hdi Peugeot engine you will have a cracking van (in my humble opinion!).

An old pal of mine has just picked up his new Avantgarde and is chuffed to bits with it. He did have a good heavy duty bumper put on the back to protect that big plastic section with all the rear lights. A beautiful 'van, my Mrs quite fancies it.

Thanks for the recommendations - pleased to know that all of my short list of midels has enthusiasts. If there are any disadvantages about a U-shaped lounge (apart from no seat belts), I'd be pleased to hear views! Anyway, it is really interesting getting these bits of experience and advice, geting quite addicted to reading this forum!

Hi again Lorna, you were asking aboyut advantages of rear U shaped layout, park with a view all round, and all the heavy bits ie kitchen, fridge, wardrobe, etc, all foreward of the back axle and neatly packed within the wheel base/track for good stable driving and road holding providing you don't over load your under bed lockers. Disadvantages, floor space in kitchen area rather a narrow passage between bathroom and kitchen unit, for example in our van if someone is working at the oven then anyone in the bathroom must not suddenly open the bathroom door or that person will not be popular with the cook. Our kitchen is a bit short of 'close at hand' dropping space. I'm sure you will work your way around any minor inconveniences.

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Dave, beauty is in the eye of the beholder lol. the overcab takes your attention away from the butt ugly cab (IMO)

the terrestra integral is my favorite van! - and probably my next purchase - once Fiat X250 mark 2 comes out.....

I must admit when these came out and we saw them at Düsseldorf 2006 I thought they where shocking - but after looking around them in the flesh at Belgian dealer they kind of grow on you *-)

follow link: click UK flag> products> terrestra alcove> then floor plans > this should bring you to page and one I said is second one down I believe :-D

anyway, better a large overcab that offers comfortable accommodation....

Hi Judge, yes found it now thanks. Although I disagree about the large luton requirement. I accept that for you with your family it works well but with us being just a couple with a dog and neither of us wishing to climb into a luton for any reason we'll stick with our preference for a low profile, we still like the Compass Avantgarde/Elddis Autoquest 120 and at around £27K new it still gives good VFM ;-) .

D.

Guest JudgeMental

you may not like the look of the terrestra low roof, but it is an excellent van. Well put together and fully winterised with double floors etc...but a lot more expensive then your choice *-)

also, I would much prefer to climb into an airy luton with 2 comfortable mattresses on sprung base, then have to make up a lumpy bed out of a lounge.... different strokes for different folks :-D

Am enjoying the vigorous debate that is going on - very educational in my novice status! Going to throw another model into the ring now - saw an Autosleeper Inca at a dealers this weekend - any comments/fans/critics? Thanks in anticipation... LORNA

JudgeMental - 2008-05-04 12:54 PM

you may not like the look of the terrestra low roof, but it is an excellent van. Well put together and fully winterised with double floors etc...but a lot more expensive then your choice *-)

also, I would much prefer to climb into an airy luton with 2 comfortable mattresses on sprung base, then have to make up a lumpy bed out of a lounge.... different strokes for different folks :-D

As you say Judge, different strokes for different folks :-D . That's what makes motorhoming such fun, meeting new people and seeing their choices and solutions.

Just for the record it was the integral or "A" class that I thought was hideous. Looks like a cartoon characiture of a motorhome with that wide at the top narrower at the bottom windscreen and what about those front wings?

D.

Archived