Dongle dilemma

snobbyafghan

Just used my Vodafone mobile broadband dongle "in anger" for the first time whilst having a long weekend in Cornwall. It worked fine, getting me instantly on-line, albeit with a GPRS connection (has anyone ever got a a 3G connection with one of these?). Also, although I could use the internet fine and receive emails, I couldn't send emails from my usual account. I had to create a hotmail webmail account to send messages out. Anyone any idea why this should be?

Doug

Hi Doug

I too have just got a Vodaphone Dongle and first used it in Cornwall, worked fine but only at slow speed. I Have now moved up to near Weymouth and the dongle has now connected at 3G+ speed of 7.2mbs, but I am right on the ege of the signal, 1 or 2 bars, and it moves between 3G+,3G and 2G seamlessly.

Very please with it to date.

Hi you can't send emails from your dongle unless your ISP accepts SMPT forwarding, this from Threes site:

Your ISP (who you have your e-mail account with) does not allow SMTP forwarding. If this is the case, you should refer to your ISP

See here: http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/gotaquestion.omp Select General FAQ's then Email on broadband, then desktop Email software

I know your using vodaphone but its the same for all of them.

Olley

For most ISPs you can log directly on to their web site and send and read e-mails without using your e-mail software. Have a look at your prviders site and ask them if necessary. f you do this, the e-mails you read will not automatically be deleted from the site.

At the Peterborough show the chap on one of the stands who was trying to give us a quote for insurance was having rpoblems getting access with his USB dongle via Vodaphone, it was like normal dial-up speed. We, on the other hand, were getting brilliant speed broadband through our 3 network dongle in the camping area.

WE have had a Network 3 Dongle for some months now, and generally this is excellent.

Having just moved into a property in Eastbourne, where there is currently no landline from BT installed, I am seriously considering just retaining a mobile phone (currently Vodafone) plus the Dongle on 3, and generally no problems with e-mails (using yahoo or google address).

The Download limit of 1GB per month seems more than adequate at present, and for now at least, I see no benefit in paying BT to 'check' the landline connection - for which they want about £150- then pay then something like £11 per month to rent it, plus whatever the Internet Provider would chanrge on top of all that!

Hi just got myself one of the new pay as you go 3G dongles from 3 and it works great as good and as fast as my now ex landline broadband and no contract or bills at the end of the month with my usage £10 lasts me for 30 days for 1gb but if i want 3gb it is only £15. you just plug in and it loads in 3min no cd or soft ware it is all in the dongle once loaded thats it ready to surf the web no special email or anything i just use all my existingemails etc so i can say it was so far a good move

Doug,

You are in good company. Lots of people have problems getting email set up on mobile devices, especially if they wish to use an email client programme such as Outlook. It is often easier if you use a web based system like Hotmail or Gmail, but these have their problems too. The answer to your question depends on how you normally access your email and which ISP you use. A common issue is the incorrect naming of email servers in the email programme.

For example, if you use Outlook or a similar email client on your PC you will have had to set up an outgoing server and an incoming server to handle your email. In my own case my ISP is ntlworld and the servers are named pop.ntlworld.com for the incoming one and smtp.ntlworld.com for the outgoing one. This sort of naming convention is common.

However, when you use a broadband dongle or even a mobile phone to access your email, you will almost certainly have to use a different outgoing server. Your outgoing mail will then be routed through this. The incoming one is usually the same, which explains why you can get incoming mail. I do not know what the name is for Vodafone's outgoing server but it is probably something of the general form - smtp.vodafone.com or mail.vodafone.com. To get the correct name you may have to phone up Vodafone's help desk. Note that your outgoing mail server relates to your dongle network provider, not your home ISP.

There are other points you need to keep in mind but I hope this moves you forward a bit.

Stewart

you dont need a diffrent server with the dongle you plug it into your usb and once it is loaded you connect to the internet with google yahoo or any other server which you always used before, the dongle just gives you instant mobile fast internet at 3.6Mbps

Keith T

We have just done what you are thinking about, we've kicked out our Kingston Communications broadband and telephone (due to be cut off any day now!) and have taken out contracts with '3' for 2 mobile phones £15 a month each including 300 calls to anything (including other mobiles) plus 300 calls to any other '3' mobile, plus because we took 2 out at the same time we've also got an extra 2,300 '3 to 3' minutes each per year! We also got a deal on the broadband - half price for the duration of the contract (18 months), £7.50 per month for 3gb instead of £15.00, or £12.50 for 7gb per month instead of £25.00. They have brought out a cheaper version as well for 1gb per month but that was too small for our needs. We've found the '3' broadband great so far.

A point of information re Pedro's contribution. Google and Yahoo are web sites or portals, not servers. If you have access to the web you can look at web-based mail such as Hotmail, just as you can look at any other website. Doug has already been able to do that. If, however, he wishes to download mail to his PC using an email client, he will have to set up the correct server names. A Vodafone, 3 or T-mobile dongle will give access to the internet without much setting up if you can get a good enough signal, but is unlikely to set up your pop email server names automatically.

Stewart

You've summed it up exactly, I think. I've got 3 webmail accounts which are fine. I can access one of my Outlook based addresses directly from the Orange website. However, my other (and most important) Outlook account is the one that I can't send mails from. As this is my business account, it's a problem.

However, thanks to the answers on this thread, I understand the situation much better now - Vodafone help line, here I come...!

Doug

Guest JudgeMental

apologies in advance as technology is not really my thing....

when away in Europe I normally log on to Orange server and check my emails from there.

I have a T mobile pay as you go phone. Would like to connect my laptop either by the phone or by purchasing a pay as you go dongle. mainly for use in France/ Italy etc....

whats the best/cheapest way to do this please :-D

Hi judge-mental after a good look around the 3 pay as you go dongle is the best and it is the same tarriff as a contract one for 30days ie £15 but if you use less or up to 1mb it will only cost you £10 for 30days not like other companys who charge £4 per day for pay as you go such as t mobile and with my dongle there is nothing so far i cant download or do even send and receive with my outlook express so now i dont need a 12 or 18 month contract or come to that a bt land line so there is quite a saving with this item

Guest JudgeMental
pedro - 2008-05-04 12:21 PM

the 3 pay as you go dongle is the best and it is the same tarriff as a contract one for 30days ie £15 but if you use less or up to 1mb it will only cost you £10 for 30days

So.... I am going away in the summer for a month, I buy the dongle, can I just purchase air time for that month? or do you have to pay for the 12 months?

Mel B - 2008-05-03 11:00 PM

Keith T

We have just done what you are thinking about, we've kicked out our Kingston Communications broadband and telephone (due to be cut off any day now!) and have taken out contracts with '3' for 2 mobile phones £15 a month each including 300 calls to anything (including other mobiles) plus 300 calls to any other '3' mobile, plus because we took 2 out at the same time we've also got an extra 2,300 '3 to 3' minutes each per year! We also got a deal on the broadband - half price for the duration of the contract (18 months), £7.50 per month for 3gb instead of £15.00, or £12.50 for 7gb per month instead of £25.00. They have brought out a cheaper version as well for 1gb per month but that was too small for our needs. We've found the '3' broadband great so far.

You'll be able to talk for hours now for free, then.........!

I already had a Vodfone mobile, and have just renegotiated that to £20 per month for 500mins, plus 500 txts, I think. The 'Three' dongle is now better value, but I shall stock for now with the 1GB.

The only thing to remember on anything other than BT landline is that 0800 are not free, and any like 0870 etc are frightenigly expensive anyway. If I have any of these to call (even 0800) I go to the internet site - www.saynoto0870.com and this usuallygives a UK geographical landline which then becomes within the free-call tariff!

judgemental you buy the dongal and top it up which lasts for 30 days but if you use the money up before your 30 days you just top up again and that gives you another 30 days and they are on offer this weekend

Guest JudgeMental
pedro - 2008-05-04 5:41 PM

judgemental you buy the dongal and top it up which lasts for 30 days but if you use the money up before your 30 days you just top up again and that gives you another 30 days and they are on offer this weekend

[/quote

thanks Pedro, have seen the 3 dongle for £50.

But your answer does not answer my question...can I just use it when I travel?

I suppose I can leave it till I am going to France/Italy in the summer and buy it then. then when credit runs out and going away again -only then top it up.....is that feasible??

(?) (?) (?) Hi All,i no i am a bit think ! are you saying with "3" pay as u go OR £10-£15 per mth YOU can use it France/Spain/all parts of the EU ?

When i asked this Q in the 3 shop they said only in the UK and not the EU.

Can some one please put ME right on this,"if" this is right then it is poss to use my Skype phone in the EU and that will save alot of money,as i have to look for WIFI to use my skype phone.Regards all John

potjoe - 2008-05-04 6:52 PM

(?) (?) (?) Hi All,i no i am a bit think ! are you saying with "3" pay as u go OR £10-£15 per mth YOU can use it France/Spain/all parts of the EU ?

When i asked this Q in the 3 shop they said only in the UK and not the EU.

Can some one please put ME right on this,"if" this is right then it is poss to use my Skype phone in the EU and that will save alot of money,as i have to look for WIFI to use my skype phone.Regards all John

The '3' Dongle is basically for UK use, plus at present in some Scandinavian Countries, and alsoHong Kong!!! As far as I can remember the salesman in the Three store said not Eurrope. To use in Euro land, you would be 'roaming' which is very expensive.

It is NOT the same as Wifi, which of course depends on your being able to connect to a free 'hotspot', or else pay in Euros to use, whihc I am sure is cheaper but less convenient, unless the campsite has Wifi within range of your pitch.

I do not think, on present attempts anyway, the signal may be good enough for Skype conversations.

Hopethis helps.

judgemental i ment to add you can use it more or less anywhere thats the whole idea of it as you just use it where you stop uk or europe maybe the signal will be stronger in some places than others but it picks up a 3g signal in whatever country you are in hope this helps you regards pedro

Archived