calor gas abroad-connections

laikaman

I know I know this has been spoken of lots of time before however can you buy an adaptor that allows you to connect continental gas bottles to a system that currently is using calor? when abroad. I went to my local camping shop yesterday and they said this was not possible but I thought it was....can anybody advise please.

Hi laikaman,

No problems with gas in France. If want to use the gas bottles in france then you can buy a gas reg to suit. What reg you need depends on the fitting in your camper if you have a bottle mounted reg then these are cheap and you just swap your reg for the french one. If yours is panel mounted then you can get a flexible tail pipe which can be connected in place of the calor one that you have on your camper. Most DIY stores in France keep a comprehensive range of fittings, so if you are handy then you should have no problem. good luck regards Geoff

I wonder how long you are going to be abroad, will you have electric hook-up on camp sites and will it we in the winter. Also do you have enough space for two gas bottles. All these things make a difference as well as how much you cook for yourselves, shower in your motorhome etc. We recently went skiing and were worried we might run out of gas. We stayed on a campsite and had 6amp hook-up, did lots of cooking but used their showers. We did have an electric convector which we used a bit, and we used gas for three nights each way on the journey and we used only one large gas bottle for a 17 day trip.

We went to France for 8 weeks last Sept/Oct with 2 propane bottles wondering how long we would have gas. We cooked used the fridge on Gas heated water on Gas also the Gas heater for a few nights in Alsace. We came home went on a 4night weekends in Nov used Gas for cooking, went awaqy for 6 nights in Feb used gas again for cooking we eventually ran out of the FIRST bottle Easter weekend. We think we must have been connected to a tanker. We will never worry about how much we will use in France again.

David

Hi Laikaman

Yes it is possible and relatively easy, on my Laika which has a panel mounted changeover regulator, similar to a Gaslow unit with 2 flexible pipes, I bought a French "Le Cube" propane gas bottle and a clip on regulator with flexible pipe, I now have 1 Calor propane and 1 Le Cube propane in my gas locker, when in France I use Le Cube and if it runs out I just switch over to Calor until I can get a refill, then just switch back again and keep the Calor as backup, then do the opposite when back in the UK.

One point to bear in mind though is that Le Cube is only 5kg of gas unlike Calor thats 6kg.

New User

Hi Laikaman

Yes it is possible and relatively easy, on my Laika which has a panel mounted changeover regulator, similar to a Gaslow unit with 2 flexible pipes, I bought a French "Le Cube" propane gas bottle and a clip on regulator with flexible pipe, I now have 1 Calor propane and 1 Le Cube propane in my gas locker, when in France I use Le Cube and if it runs out I just switch over to Calor until I can get a refill, then just switch back again and keep the Calor as backup, then do the opposite when back in the UK.

One point to bear in mind though is that Le Cube is only 5kg of gas unlike Calor thats 6kg.

Le Cube butane is 6kg; Le Cube Propane is 5kg

Bill Ord

(lol) Hi,I have one refil bottle, one Spainish bottle/reg and got hose as well for spainish bottle can refil in france px bottle in spain but also have small Gaz bottle reg/hose.This way i can refil-px bottles and you can buy all the bits in UK for them all.

Slight digression but be aware that the free delivery service that Calor used to provide when you wanted to exchange a bottle isn't free anymore. I've just exchangee a 13kg propane and it cost just over £20, if I'd had it delivered it would've cost an extra £2.50.

Laikaman:

Exchange-only gas bottles are rarely marketed outside their national boundaries. You won't find Calor bottles being marketed in France, French bottles won't be available in the UK, German bottles can't be obtained in Italy, etc. So no "Le Cube" bottles in this country I'm afraid unless you can find a 2ndhand one somewhere (like e-bay).

A set of adapters is available (see the following links)

http://conx2gas.com/

http://www.outdoorbits.com/conx2gas-universal-fitting-p-763.html

This is intended to allow a range of non-UK LPG bottles to be connected to a leisure vehicle's gas system that uses a 'POL' connector of the type traditionally employed on UK propane bottles. The product is not cheap and (despite the claims) it needs saying that there will be plenty of 'foreign' bottles that will require a supplementary adapter to permit them to be used.

It might also be worth you looking at

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2819&posts=1

Archived