Insurance renewal

Mel B

Just renewed our motorhome insurance this week, quote by Safeguard was the cheapest and also had the best policy coverage which also included UK and European recovery (backed by the AA), also the basic camper insurance covers camping equipment AND personal belongings (which some now do NOT cover ... read your policies carefully!). The total cost was £314. The only conditions are that it has to have a Cat 1 (recognised by Thatcham) alarm and it has a £150 excess. This figure takes account of a discount for new business (£25) and for our being members of the Caravan Club (£20 I think). It will be interesting to see if they match this figure next year!

We also had quotes from Caravan Guard which were very close but didn't include any personal belongings cover, they actually commented that "you will already have household insurance that will cover these items". We used the Which Motorcaravan survey examples and article as a starting point for which companies to ring and the highest quote we had was from one of the runners up, even though it came out as one of the best in the magazine survey. Our existing insurer, MCIA, was still a very good quote at £340 but as we needed breakdown cover with our insurance and they will only cover up to 7 metres (we're 7.14), this ruled them out for us.

Our original recovery company, Britannia, was going to be in the region of £154 this year for recovery for the motorhome (UK and Europe) and personal cover (UK only) as this was the cheapest way to cover our car with them, as I used to get a discount for being in UNISON the cost was brough down to £129 but as I'm no longer with UNISON obviously I am not entitled to this discount. We've got the car insured on its own now with Churchill (with Greenflag) as part of our insurance policy with them so in all it's saved us around £45 all in all.

It seems like all the insurance companies are offering recovery either as built in or as an option to the existing insurance policy but do be careful and make sure that the recovery definitely is 'fit' for your vehicle.

I did ring the Caravan Club to see what their separate recovery was and nearly swore! For the camper alone, European recovery was over £140, add to that the UK recovery, again only for the camper, and it was over £200!!!! What!?!?!??!?!?!

Mel,

We have used Safeguard for the lst nine years and the price has stayed around the same over that period except when we bought the new van three years ago then it went down because we had a cat 1 alarm fitted.

David

ps we use them for travel insurance as well

Guest JudgeMental

We just renewed with Safeguard after our first year - and it was £10 cheaper then last year :-D

they seem to tick all the necessary boxes.....

We have been with Safeguard for several years now having been recommended by a friend. With the European recovery included I don't think they can be beaten on price. With a van costing so much a Cat 1 alarm makes sense anyway. We had a Strikeback fitted and were very impressed with the alarm features and quality of installation. You only get what you pay for. We have not had to make a claim to date and we are quite happy to pay £300 or so each year for peace of mind. However, with the judder problem one never knows! We are going to the Pyrenees for 4 weeks at the end of May.

Safe travels

Archived