Ferry prices

David France

Until I got around to doing some checking of my own I wasn't aware (i.e. the Caravan Club operators didn't mention it) that there is a Sundays only service by Condor from Portsmouth to Cherbourg which is a helluva lot cheaper than any of the other mid-channel crossings. We are booked for a return trip out in June, back in July, for only £185 for a 7metre van...about half Brittany Ferries Poole and Portsmouth services. I gather Condor is owned by Brittany Ferries but all the same it's much better than driving (from Dorset in our case) all the way to Dover etc. I will gladly report on the quality of the service on our return.

I assume this is the 'fast ferry' service - be aware of the weather restrictions on these vessels.......the service to Jersey / CI can often be cancelled I speak from experience of having lived on the Island for ssveraral years, and though now returned to the mainland, still travel there occasionally.

Also they can be quite uncomfortable on crossings even when operating withint their 'allowed' tolerances......

As they are part of 'Brittany Ferries' group, I wonder if the 'Property Owners Club members receive a discounted fare?. I have to say the price quoted is extremely competitive, as even with club membership the nerest I could get from almost any of the crossing for outward end of May/return early July was around £250.

We have travelled from Dover to Calais on P & O and Sea France ferries but following a previous thread and information from Michelle - we have now purchased 10 x £39 one way tickets for the Eurotunnel - tickets are per vehicle and this can be a car or MH.

The tickets are for "off peak travel" - after 2 pm and before 6 a.m. in general for the outward journey, which suits us perfectly as we drive up from Southampton after work.

For our main summer holiday we will be towing a car on a trailer (total length approx. 37 feet) so will need to use 2 tickets each way - total of £156 return (without the trailer it would be just £78 return.) This "beats the socks off" ferries, is quicker and also saves about 5 miles travel on each end of the journey (Folkestone departure instead of Dover and the same distance saved the other side!).

Our reckoning is that it is still worth the drive, even with the cost of fuel now, for such a saving and we also get to use the rest of the tickets for up to 12 months whenever we fancy a weekend away or need to stock up on "goodies" in France etc. ;-) The crossing time is also a lot quicker so time spent travelling the extra miles is made up for. Weather is not a problem with the train either - we just have a cuppa (prepared beforehand of course *-) )or put our feet up whilst travelling on the train as you have to stay with your vehicle anyway - no looking for a seat and trying to stay steady whilst walking around.

Great value and we say a little "thanks Michelle" every time we plan a trip over the water now!! B-)

I didn't realise that some companies class vans over 3.5 tons as frieight! They must work this out on the dimensions you put in when you book online because no where does it ask for the weight. So I think I might just put the van on a diet and get it to lose some length!

Catinou,

Thats very nice of you to think of me I'm sure others would of told you.

We find probably because of where we live that this is very good value for us and easy travelling . We also like the buy ten deal but you can buy as many as you like more money in their pockets so to speak.

we never seem to have a problem getting booked and I actually thought we would have because I have left it so late for the kids half term at the end of May but no problems at all when I called to chance my luck this morning .

I appreciate that the train can not go everywhere but then we mainly do France and so far have not even seen a quater of it I guess we will have to keep on going .

Why do you have to use 4 tickets I assume that is because of the trailer ?

could you not rather than using your tickets offer to pay cash only for the trailer ? may be another saving there ?

:D *-)

Hi Michelle,

We were told that the trailer counts as a seperate vehicle so we just need 2 tickets each way - I suppose that must be right as the trailer will have a car on it. We will certainly try the cash offer though it will still be very much cheaper than last year's ferry!! *-) Thanks again.

Great deal with Sea France Dover/Calais, six crossings for 192 pounds. Their are a few crossing dates you have to pay extra for, bank holidays and weekends in August. You can even pass two crosings on to another nominated person if you wish, ten crossings are even less. You have to give times for first crossing but even this can be changed with no penalty. Just turn up and they will get you on one of next two crossings. Their is a limit to length, not sure what it is but at just under six mtrs we were OK got car rate.

For benefit of Keith T and others, this is NOT a fast ferry....sails 0930 arrives 1515....and I promise the price is genuine for a 7.04 metre van plus driver and one passenger. For a mid channel crossing I believe its the cheapest going although two years ago we went Sea France Dover Calais for only £57. Price of diesel now means the trip to Dover etc would be much more than the fare! DF

Norfolk Lines do £28 each way dover / dunkirk (via Caravan club) cheaper than the tunnel. LD lines also run Portxsmouth/Le Havre at reasonable prices. we used the Norfolk lines last year. Brilliant service like being on a cruise ship. I wish they ran from Portsmouth ( where I live) Unfortunatley the drive to Dover takes longer than the crossing, so we are paying a bit more but saving time, crossing from Portsmouth LD lines. Off next week for this years jaunt .

catinou - 2008-05-07 10:23 AM

For our main summer holiday we will be towing a car on a trailer (total length approx. 37 feet) so will need to use 2 tickets each way - total of £156 return (without the trailer it would be just £78 return.) This "beats the socks off" ferries, is quicker and also saves about 5 miles travel on each end of the journey (Folkestone departure instead of Dover and the same distance saved the other side!).

Just to ask how does this price 'beat the socks off ferries' as Sea France do a similar deal for £26 each way for 18 or £30 for 10 with no time restrictions though there may be a wait on peak days (they advise you when you want to book one of those), the Eurostar offer is good for those that want to travel that way but realistically the price does not 'beat the socks off' the ferries.

Basd

eurotunnel frequent traveler 10 singles cost £390 +£9 for each single for MH . We're using our last one thurs next. A very good service amazingly quick , we've been late a couple of times and boarded the next train 30 mins later. No rough crossings only electric or signal once in a blue moon. Our only delay being 45mins.(when we go again we'll pay for a frequent again, 2 days prior to travel and book same time, they have to be used within 12 months ). B-)

Den - 2008-05-08 5:48 PM

eurotunnel frequent traveler 10 singles cost £390 +£9 for each single for MH . We're using our last one thurs next. A very good service amazingly quick , we've been late a couple of times and boarded the next train 30 mins later. No rough crossings only electric or signal once in a blue moon. Our only delay being 45mins.(when we go again we'll pay for a frequent again, 2 days prior to travel and book same time, they have to be used within 12 months ). B-)

This is a good deal but times and dates you can travel without paying extra are very restrictive, that is why I used the Sea France one. Plus you only have to buy six and you can pass some on to others.

Michele

Take a look at

http://www.seafrance.com/seafrance/opencms/uk/en/passenger/Carnet.html

6 trips (3 returns) for £32 per trip through to 18 trips at £26 per trip for a car and up to 9 passengers.

I have purchased the 10 trip option for a 7.3 M motorhome. They set a dummy date for my first trip on booking as I had know idea then when I would be going, I am now just about to set this for June.

When I purchased in November there was no suppliment for motorhomes.

Also look at a previous thread on ferry prices

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9546&posts=13

michele - 2008-05-08 5:38 PM

Basil,

£30 for 10 ? for the M/home tell me more .. :->

Hi Michelle,

Ok you got me! LoL. Yes I did actually mean that it was £30 for each crossing if you bought ten.

Made me smile though as although I read through before posting I did not pick up as you did, thanks. :-D :-D :-D

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2008-05-08 5:57 PM

Den - 2008-05-08 5:48 PM

This is a good deal but times and dates you can travel without paying extra are very restrictive, that is why I used the Sea France one. Plus you only have to buy six and you can pass some on to others.

As we travel high peak due to children's holidays, Eurotunnel frequent traveller deal works out cheaper then Seafrance for us.

The reason for this is Seafrance has high charges for certain dates and Tunnel only for certain times. So as we are 1.5 hrs away we travel down for a tea time crossing and back around lunch time and always miss the high charges even at peak times.

Plus the tunnel is so convenient, and not having to travel into Dover at peak times is a bonus as over the year's we have been involved in massive delays and tailbacks on the M20.....

Guest JudgeMental
catinou - 2008-05-07 4:27 PM

Hi Michelle,

We were told that the trailer counts as a seperate vehicle so we just need 2 tickets each way - I suppose that must be right as the trailer will have a car on it. We will certainly try the cash offer though it will still be very much cheaper than last year's ferry!! *-) Thanks again.

so what about a car and caravan do they use 4 tickets - I think not......

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2008-05-08 9:30 PM

catinou - 2008-05-07 4:27 PM

Hi Michelle,

so what about a car and caravan do they use 4 tickets - I think not......

I was just checking availability for witsun half term week and thought I would see what a trailer would cost. The supplement for either a trailer or a caravan was £48. so I would think you need to talk to them and explain that the tow car is a trailer.....

or maybe best call and cancel booking and then rebook again online. 8-)

Thanks to all - have just followed the Judge's advice *-) and called Eurotunnel. Apparently advice given before booking the tickets was slightly wrong! :-S

Motorhome on it's own will be one £39 ticket each way, plus a £9 supplement each way as it's a MH. Total £96 return - I still think that's better than the ferry for us as the "off peak times" are so much better than we have experienced before on Sea France and P & O - not to mention their excess charges for changing ferry booking times - if you turn up early / late but still want to travel in the "off peak times" as long as there is room they will put you on the train. We have been asked for an extra £20 & £30 respectively from the 2 ferry companies mentioned for turning up one ferry time too early. :-(

Motorhome with trailer is where the confusion came in - when I first enquired I was told 2 tickets each way - one for MH one for trailer (it doesn't matter what's on the trailer) Apparently this was wrong - charges for the MH as above - one ticket plus £9 each way; for the trailer we will have to pay £39 each way, and can't use a second ticket to cover it. The total price will therefore be £174 return total, at times that suit us. Not too bad for a total length of 37 feet when we have the trailer. We don't mind travelling during the night, when the ferries don't run, if we need to, and in the case of the train - "size doesn't matter" :$

Thanks to all for "putting me right" on the different procedure for paying - I had forgotten about the £9 MH supplement when I first posted.

Looking on the bright side - it will leave more tickets to use during the year - more trips!!! B-)

Archived