Oxygen - advice needed

brownsat259

Can anyone help/advise? My lungs having decided enough's enough, I now need oxygen therapy. This is no problem at home, and would not be a problem in the Motorhome if we could tell the oxygen supplier exactly where we are going and when. However, for us the joy of the Motorhome is that we leave home with only the most general and elastic of plans, which can change as the whim takes us. A portable oxygen generator sounds ideal, but costs £2400 for an ex demo model, or about £3000 for a new one. We could raid the savings for this amount, but don't want to do this until we're sure it is the only option. Are there other cheaper alternatives? All suggestions gratefully received.

I should also be interested to hear from anyone using oxygen in their Motorhome, with advice or warnings of potential problems.

Many thanks.

when my mum used to come to stop with us.  i would bring her machine from home with mask. i assume you have a machine at home .take it with you and stop on site with electric we have also done this with her . she was on 15 hrs a day .and the rest of time 40 cigs .

Jan,

I'm sure that you don't need telling that an excess of free oxygen in an enclosed area is dangerous as it supports life (fire).

(Remember the astronauts failure on the launch pad)

It's possible that personal cylinders are not pure oxygen because of the known hazards in confined spaces.

As the cylinders are costly I doubt that you are likely to leave the system running when you're not connected.

(Posted as perhaps some readers may not be aware of the hazards.)

The portable oxygen generator I'm talking about would only be switched on when I'm in the motorhome and breathing the oxygen. Portable oxygen cylinders have a demand valve which only releases the oxygen on the in breath. Either way there should be no excess oxygen.

In answer to the previous response though, the generator I have here at home is too big and heavy, too noisy and generates too much heat for the confined space of the motorhome. I know there are smaller ones out there. Are there less expensive ones?

Yes there are portable oxygen generators but eldom used because almost all mobile requirements (moving from one location to another) are covered by using compressed gas bottles. Bulk and cost is always a problem.

If you plan you proposed route you may be able to pre-book oxygen bottle re-filling / exchange points. BOC and Air Products plus Linde gas in Europe may be usefull starting points to plan such a trip. You will need to talk to your insurance company and this may be a bit of a stumbling block.

What does your doctor say?

Please let this forum know how you get on. Your situation is not unique and similar questions have been asked before.

The very best of luck

Clive

Archived