best time to buy?

jack russell

Guest JudgeMental

welcome Jack!

Probably makes little difference... obviously prices firm up at this time of year. but not really worth waiting and missing a summer for. Just get out there and negotiate a good deal, there are plenty of vans around (unlike houses) :-D

In my opinion this depends on so many variables that it is not something anyone can give a definative answer to.

If you are a "motorhome fashionista" and can only bear to be seen in the latest model then you will have to keep an eye on the show news to see when your chosen manufacturer is bringing out their new models. Some do it in Autumn some in Spring. But if you just want a specific model and make you can pick up some bargains as dealers get rid of "last years model" to free up showroom space for the new ones.

If you want specific things added to your van by the manufacturer you will have to wait for a new build run. e.g. we are getting our new Cheyenne 660 in 3 weeks, (Hurrah :-D ), but because we wanted some extras, although we ordered it in January we had to wait until then for it. If we had just wanted some bits added and they could have been done by a dealer then we could have had one in a couple of weeks.

It also depends on which model you want some have longer lead in times than others. Some have to be imported, some you can go to the factory and pick it up. It depends on which dealer you want too. Some dealers have a reputation and you might not want to deal with them, other people are happy to use them.

If you want a second hand van then most dealers are chocker block with good second hand vans around the time of new model introductions or number plate changes. Infact I have noticed that several dealers forecourts are overflowing at the moment with used vans.

If you are buying second hand from a private seller then it depends on whether someone is selling your favourite make & model for the right price.

So the answer to your question as far as I can make out is "Whenever"!

Thanks for the advice - been visiting a few forecourts recently and stock is variable. Seen something I like the look of... you say negociate a good price but the dealer's response to 'best price' was to knock £500 off a £29500 motorhome (used). Is this as far as I can reasonably expect him to go? Any advice on negotiating welcomed?

Guest JudgeMental
jack russell - 2008-05-05 11:13 AM

Thanks for the advice - been visiting a few forecourts recently and stock is variable. Seen something I like the look of... you say negociate a good price but the dealer's response to 'best price' was to knock £500 off a £29500 motorhome (used). Is this as far as I can reasonably expect him to go? Any advice on negotiating welcomed?

for that sort of money you can get a brand new or nearly new LHD import. Personally I would give UK dealers a miss and stick to private sellers then compare prices (trade V private) one against the other.also have a look on ebay. For that sort of money I would want the latest chassis. all the manufacturers have new ones which came out 2007

what are you looking for?

for LHD try: www.mobile.de

Archived