3500 - 3800Kg M/homes weights, and the law

Guest bill

I have all the relevent forms on the way from the DVLA. The licence limit relating to form D1 is to 3500Kg. If the vehicle is rated 3500-3800Kg and its only filled to 3500Kg (according to the weighbridge) Will that be within the law? I will ask the DVLA anyway

Well dont know the relevant numbers as to which weights you are allowed to drie I have had the same green licence - without any changes since 1970 will have to change next year So If D1 allows yo to drive up to 3500kg then no you cannot just load upto 3500kg you will have to pass the relevent test Or if you are having to renew and (as I am in the position /or will be) for age you can have a medical every 3 years to keep the 7500kg category If however (which i dont think) you just dont want to load up to the max that would be Ok You dont have to drive fully loaded - but you must be licensed to drive the vehicle up to its max load Incidentally think your 3800kg vehicle will be close to if not over 3500kg unloaded I dont know why the make them with so little payload but that is what they do and one of the main reasons for buying a van conversion with 1025kg payload

Your vehicles maximum plated weight (Either shown on the side of your vehicle or under the bonnet on the cross member) is the governing weight to which your licence refers, whether the vehicle is loaded or not.

Archived