IMPORTANT eBay password change email - ignore it!

Mel B

Just wanted to alert everyone that there is another phishing exercise going on for eBay accounts. I just got one saying I'd changed my email address and go click on the link if I HAD NOT done so, by hovering my mouse over the link and NOT clicking on it) I found that the link takes me to a webside called: www. suryasamudra.com/red, NOT ebay.

Whilst I'm fairly savvy at these things some of you may not be and the initial reaction would be one of horror that someone has been in your account, when you then click the link it will probably take you to what looks like an official eBay page asking you to re-do your password - DO NOT DO IT.

If you are every notified that your password has been changed, always go to the site in the normal way, ie by putting in the site's address manually and not from any email link, and then log in as normal. If you can get in as normal then it hasn't been changed and it was just a phishing exercise by some nasty people. This applies to any internet site you go to, not just eBay.

Mel B

I had a spoof email supposedly a message from another ebayer asking me to leave feedback for an item I knew I hadn't bought.

The sender's email address was member@ebay.it

The whole email looked extremely realistic and had a 'Respond Now' button to click (which I didn't, so I don't know what it would have taken me to)

I forwarded it to ebay's security centre, and they confirmed it was a fake.

speaking of such matters

there was a lovely thread on ukcs a while ago, a hard working entrepreneur from Zimbabwe - who had lost all his worldly goods because he's white - but has still managed to retain all his best workers [brickies carpenters sparkies etc - even tho he was a farmer??] looking to buy a camp site in France and resume his life etc etc etc - any advice on where to look etc etc

oh

and by the way - anyone want to invest some money (lol) (lol) :D :D

B-)

A couple of months ago I absently opened an e mail advertising TV on the internet. I am now inundated with e mails asking whether I would like a "larger organ of regeneration" and the like. 8-)

Guest peter
bob b - 2008-05-06 10:44 PM

A couple of months ago I absently opened an e mail advertising TV on the internet. I am now inundated with e mails asking whether I would like a "larger organ of regeneration" and the like. 8-)

Send the link regarding the larger organ to Tracker. I'm sure he would appreciate it, as would the local Sheep population. :D (lol)

I am looking for some kind hearted god fearing gentle soul to help me!

I am a motorhomer, just like you, who sad hit upon hard times. I have recently had to pay out many thousands of pounds to buy a new Autotrail Cheyenne 660. As you can imagine, this has left me somewhat short of savings in the bank.

I am asking you dear friends to help me make up this dreadful shortfall. Just send me any used £50 or £20 pound notes and I will recycle them in an environmentally sympathetic way. So by doing this one small act you are helping save the Earth for the little children and small furry animals and it will allow me to travel around Europe re-distributing your donations throughout the small cafes and bars.

It is important you don't send me new notes, that way you will know I am genuine and not trying to scam you like some naughty people will if you're not careful.

SEnding you big thanks in anticipation. Steve

Coo - and I got lambasted for making such humour last week... ;-)

You really must think of those people that will take your joke as serious.

Ho ho ho. Cheque is in the post - no money in the account, but the cheque is on it's way!

my mate that works on web sites for me , tells me if you open a message and send a reply they then know that that email address is operational and is being used so if you are not sure or have not applied for it dump it pronto. with out opening it.

The answer is very simple

As emails are very insecure banks etc should never send/ask for confidential information via an email.

SO....

Whatever the type of request NEVER NEVER send confidential information by email.

Always use a secure (!) web page as this offers the best chance of the information remaining confidential.

Archived