A-Frame Car insurance

stantheman

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2008-06-20 3:13 PM

A bit of topic but can someone please explain to me why anyone would want to tow a car behind a motorhome, especially if it cannot be reversed. If you get lost as much as I do this would be a nightmare. If you want to tow why not buy a caravan and tow this with you usual car, much more sensible and cheaper option. Better still stick a couple of bikes or a scooter on the back and use them.

Now come on Rupert :-D your initial post's after your recent German trip were quite mellow....... now I see the old 123 reappearing lol

from my perspective, forget about caravans there is absolutely no way!

I had previously a demountable camper, so it little mattered where I stayed, as we could unhook and be away in our 4x4 in a short while. I am happy to use bikes/ public transport/ cabs/ whatever.... but it would be nice now and then to have a likle car with you. Surely this is understandable.

JudgeMental - 2008-06-20 8:45 PM

rupert123 - 2008-06-20 3:13 PM

Now come on Rupert :-D your initial post's after your recent German trip were quite mellow....... now I see the old 123 reappearing lol

from my perspective, forget about caravans there is absolutely no way!

I had previously a demountable camper, so it little mattered where I stayed, as we could unhook and be away in our 4x4 in a short while. I am happy to use bikes/ public transport/ cabs/ whatever.... but it would be nice now and then to have a likle car with you. Surely this is understandable.

You have lost me here JM, just asking a question because I do not understand, you really are a sensitive fellow.

Hi whats cheap or sensible got to do with it?? (lol) if I wanted cheap I would buy a tent, if I wanted sensible I would holiday at Felixstowe (ten miles down the road)

If we forget cheap and sensible which must be an oxymoron when applied to an RV owner, how else can I visit the French vineyards to get my wine but with a toad?? You just can't carry enough on a bike.

Olley

Guest JudgeMental
maryowlgirl - 2008-06-20 10:45 AM

We met a gentleman at the Lincoln Motorhome show last year from Greener Planet Motors.

He has supplied us with a tow car etc and up to now we are very pleased with it. If you need more details I will have to ask Roger as I am not mechanically minded lol.

Hi maryowlgirl, I think you have the system that most of us are currently interested in, is it a small citroen C1/peugot 107 or Agyo?

Would like to now how you are getting on with it, and more specifically how it behaves regards braking and being reversed etc......

do you use it in Europe, and have you had the system tested at VOSA to get a certificate?

Yes it is that system from Greener Planet Motors a Citroen C1 whilst we have not been abroad with it you can take it in to Vosa or any Ministry test station.

They will put it on the rolling road and issue a certificate, it is well inside their requirements apparantly and is acceptable in Europe. This has been done, someone was pulled in South of France they show the certificate and the poilice were quite happy with it.

As far as reversing goes its not over easy but you have to bear in mind its a four wheeled unit and like reversing a twin axle caravan only worse as the axle centres are wider apart. It is not a two minute job to uncouple the unit, you don't even have to take the A frame of just take it off the ball nd it stays up vertical while you pull the plug. You can even drive with it on while you manouver the vehicle about.

In the short time I have had it I am very satisfied, it is much better than the Tow-a-car A frame as its connected into the car hydraulics. It works on the principal of an hydraulic motor which applies the brake on the vehicle.

Hope this helps but you can find out more by looking at their web site.

Roger

Thanks to the Judge I've now looked at the correct websitebut I have to say if this is the level of their "technical data" its a bit weak!

"Tow Bar Technical Data

* The unique lightweight frame can be fitted in less than 5 minutes with out getting covered in grease and mud.

* A balanced braking system (with no cables) complies with all towing legislation

* The system fits neatly in the boot when not in use. The integrated parts on the vehicle are out of sight, no protruding bars etc"

The annoying thing about all this is that a car on an A frame is a much more stable trailer than a car perched on a single or twin axle conventional trailer. Sadly they fall short of the regs :-S

D.

It sounds as if the greener planet is either similar or is the one I looked at, at a show last year, they fit a brake sensing valve into your brake lines on the towing vehicle, and a hydraulic pump in the car operated by the sensing valve.

My reservation with this was how do you know its set up properly? I was concerned that the car could be braking both its self and the towing vehicle.

The next issue is of course warranties, their must be issues with braking into the hydraulic lines on new vehicles.

Olley

Hi Maryowlgirl, I think the rolling road test they do proves the brakes meet the regs. not that they are set correctly to match the towing vehicle.

My concern with all these systems is that under emergency braking the car is going to push me 20' further down the road, with possible catastrophic results. The only system to my mind which I can confidently expect not to do this uses an overrun braking "A" frame and working servo in the car.

Olley

Hi Patricia met a few french motorhomers in Agadir this year towing their cars on a frames in fact i took photo as i did not know they could, but after speaking to some Dutch motorhomers, it is getting more popular in europe as well as the uk

That's interesting. I know we always drew a crowd when we parked in supermarket carparks. They always wanted to know how it worked etc. and where they could buy one. I certainly know that one firm has set up an off-shoot in France (I have the contact details somewhere) and when I first insured the tow car in France the agent said I was covered. However, I thought that I had not explained it properly and that she thought that the Fiat would be the tow car. Since insuring it in France the Fiat has never been towed. I think it would be very complicated if there was an accident with the towing vehicle under English insurance and the towed vehicle under French. Adding to the complication is the fact that a trailer (be it a proper trailer or caravan) has to have its individual number plate and not use that of the towing vehicle.

Archived