Batteries

Mary

The vehicle battery does not have to be that big as its main load is for the starter motor. 80 Amp hour should be sufficient but, if in doubt, consult the manufacturer of the base vehicle (Fiat or Talbot, I assume and both are virtually identical).

As to leisure batteries, a 100 to 120 Amp Hour is preferable if you have space. If you camp away from hookups for longish periods, it is better tohave two such batteries, wired in parallel. But remember - to recharge them using the engine you will need to drive longish distances - at least 4 hours or more.

Mel E

====

The Fiat diesel should have a 90 A/H starter battery, the original one fitted was not man ( Person? ) enough so the recommendation was upped from 80 to 90.

Phil.

BTW the correct battery for my M/H is a type 017.

Mary,

"Elecsol" deep cycle leisure batteries are worth a look. They are smaller and lighter then most equivalents and have a five year manufacturer's warranty. They are a little dearer but I am very pleased with the one I bought almost a year ago. If payload is tight, they could be just what you need. A search on google will show up lots of suppliers. I used Tayna who were very efficient.

Bob

I also used an Elecsol but was not impressed. It lasted barely 4 years but I couldn't be bothered to make a warranty claim. The big problem was that, when left on trickle charge from the solar panels for longish periods, the battery gassed itself dry. Since the solar panels had a functioning charge regulator this clearly should not have happened, and certainly did not do so with the 'el cheapo' replacement I bought.

Mel E

====

Hi Mel,

I know we have had this conversation before, but here is an update. The original Elecsol 110A battery installed in 2001 is still running okay, and uses around a litre of water a year as top ups.

I bought another Elecsol 110A battery two years ago and run both in parallel, the newer one used 480 ml of water in the two years so far, I can be that precise as I use a syringe to top up 10 ml each charge of the syringe.

I too have a regulated 85 watt solar panel on the roof which trickle charges both batteries, and the batteries do gas off rather alot. I always check my batteries every 2 to 3 months and usually need topping up every 6 months.

Regards Terry

Archived