south of france campsites ????

Den

hi we're going to france may 15th and are looking to find a site. Does'nt have to be all singing all dancing, but ideally next to a beach (sand pref) any part of the south just as long as site and beach are good, and maybe a village for the pattisserie (for the tarts) of the cake type...we normally use aires, but just for a change and rest we decided to stay put for a few days. Would be grateful for any ideas.. B-)

Guest JudgeMental

Below taken from " Any suggestions re areas to stay South France" thread in November. there really is a lot of info on here if you use the "search" options.........

"Cavalaire-sur-mere, approx 10 miles west of st tropez

Have been to this area a few times . We find that heading towards Italy from St Tropez is absolute gridlock during the summer holidays and avoid it like the plaque. Tournels (in Ramatulle) is an OK site but unless you have booked well in advance the pitches on the hill are quite small and awkward to access. It is a big busy site restaurant was poor in my opinion and big queues for bread in the mornings.

We much prefer the area over the headland heading west. Cavalaire sur Mere is a lovely town . Stayed on site in town (Camping de la Baie – its in Alan Rodgers guides) lots of static’s but a nice restaurants and calm atmosphere – but very French with hardly any UK visitors. my children were not that happy with this aspect compared to the Dordogne where they had a fantastic time with lots of friends

5 minutes to shops & port and restaurants – town beach walking distance – it’s very convenient site as you don’t need transport. Nicer beaches a short drive heading west along the coast with plenty of great restaurants. This part of coast is just a beautiful but more family orientated then St Tropez area and you can actually get around without being stuck in traffic forever."

Havn't been for a few years but used to love camping in Port Grimaud. At that time it was ideal for me. It is within driving distance of st Tropez, and if you want to travel further then a drive to Cannes or even Monaco.

There are lovely villages if you want to travel inland too. It is on the beach and used to have all the facilities. Maybe worth looking it up on Google. Joy

Guest JudgeMental
Den - 2008-05-06 8:30 PM

thankyou joy and judgmental , i,m looking for a smaller site and are only finding large ones, some with seven pools.

head in land then.....

Camping de la Baie is not one of these super sites. it has a small pool and excellent restaurant. but you can walk to a beach and restaurants at port in a few minutes.

I have often stayed at Royal Camping, Agay (http://www.royalcamping.net/) which is a small site just the Cannes side of St. Raphael. It is in a small sandy cove and has a beach restaurant adjoining, where the meals are good and cheap (by Cote d'Azur standards). There is a very good restaurant a few hundred yards up the road (again inexpensive, L'Olivio). You can walk or bus to other places along the coast, or train into Nice, etc. There is a separate area for 'vans, with just a wire fence between you and the beach. About 40€ for 'van, 4 adults and electricity.

Camping 'Les Mures' about a mile N/E of Port Grimaud could be what you are looking for. Camping on the beach or on grass the other side of the road. Grimaud village, St Tropez, and of course the french 'Venice' of Port Grimaud on your doorstep.

thankyou ron , sounds ideal and we were heading in that area. We're not going to book, just in case, bot we'll definately look this one up. So thankyou once again and should have more ideas please let me know.

Not South of France so maybe shouldn't post on this thread, but you may be passing through ....... I just found a piece of paper that someone recommended to me a while ago. A place called La Boule.

If you are overnight staying on your travels it may be that you pass near it. It must be quite nice place as the person who recommended it has bought a house there.

Have a wonderful holiday and think of the rest of us .... B-)

can also recomend Port Grimaud, right on beach, and a bus outside goes to St Tropez. We went last year , arrived spring bank holiday, was a bit crowded, (schools Out) but managed to get in , not having booked before hand We also going across the pond on 15th, so may see you around in France, but are going down to Spain first. can also recomend camping a la ferme "Mas de Plaisance" address 30220 saint-laurent-d'aigouze. very friendly people, but dont speak much english! This is near Aiges morte ( not sure about the spellin!! this is a very interesting area.

Archived