INSURANCE AND CHIPPING

Wislon

I had my 2005 2 litre Autocruise Starquest chipped over 2 years ago and am very satisfied with the result, good power output and pleasant drive--just one word of caution-- because it is so much better to drive the expected economy has not happened; I know it is a right foot problem but it is always difficult to resist the temptation. However that is not my beef, I have insured the vehicle through the Caravan Club who accept the chipping for a small increase in premium (as does the Camping and Caravanning Club) but on renewal when I tried other insurers,just to check, I was quoted a 25% uplift although the output of the engine is little different from a 2.2 litre unit which would only be about 5% more in premium and about the same as the new 2 litre (post 2006). As I understand it there are no other mechanical changes between a 2 litre and even the 2.8 litre. It is clear that some insurers think that chipping creates a sports car, which could not be further from the truth, and as ever us mere mortals are never able to speak the person who makes the decision to explain the reality.

My advice to anyone considering chipping is to check with their insurers to see whether it is economic, and should they then do, so enjoy that luxury of not having to change gear at the sight of a hill in the distance.

Another question to ask (I do not know the answer) is:

Does the chipping of a vehicle affect the manufacturer's warrantee?

This point could drastically affect your wallet if the answer is in the negative and you have to make a claim.

Ouch. That's a heck of a rise Wislon.

It's not just chipping that may interest insurers. When I looked into this many years ago I found that any "modification" might affect the premium and should be declared - for example changing steel wheels for alloy ones. Apparently it is not just a question of performance enhancement that leads the insurer to consider the risk to have increased but the "attitude" of the insured which may be extrapolated from the desire to make the modification. My daughter's first insurer said that if she changed her car's wheels, despite no change to performance, it could indicate a potential to drive more aggressively, so the premium would rise.

Where to draw the line I have no idea but given the temptation for an insurer to seek to avoid a large claim ..............

Bob

My line of thinking was that of reading of a chap who sells and fits them and he stated that they would not effect warranty and that they would not detect the fitting of the said alteration of the ECU, unless they were looking particulary for that alteration. I also believe insurance companys will sieze on anything they can for an increase. Perhaps this form of modication will be a suitable stealth tax from Mr Darling to implement, how many motorist would then declare it ? *-)

My own experience of having the ECU reprogrammed by TB Turbo is completely different:

1. I checked with my insurer before doing it and they said they would note it but there was no effect on the policy. I advised them after it was done and confirmed this in writing.

2. Any mechanical alteration can affect the insurance. Such things as fitting a tow bar need to be advised to the insurer - it's much better to pay a higher premium if necessay than to invalidate your insurance without even being aware.

3. Any alteration to the base vehicle can also affect the vehicle warranty. If the waranty claim is to do with the engine, they may well discover the performance enhancement.

Mel E

====

Archived