Freesat on air now

colin

The digital satellite television service from ITV and the BBC has launched across Britain offering high definition programming and more than 80 channels for no monthly fee. Freesat, will be available in 98 per cent of households, the broadcasters also hope the addition of high definition channels on a free-to-air service will increase interest in HD programming.

"The launch of Freesat is the final piece in the digital jigsaw and will ensure that all viewers in the UK have access to free-to-air digital and high definition television," ITV Executive Chairman Michael Grade said. "Now everyone in the UK can experience the benefits of digital television: more choice of channels, interactivity and the extraordinary picture quality of HD."

"Freesat is guaranteed subscription-free," confirmed the service’s MD, Emma Scott. "It will be the first time that those people outside the Freeview coverage area will be able to receive additional channels in this way."

Set-top box prices will start from £49 (E62), with a high definition box available from £120 plus installation costs from around £80. The channels initially available will include all those from the BBC, including BBC HD, ITV, Channel 4, Al-Jazeera English and digital radio. Freesat executives anticipate this figure rising to over 200 by the end of 2008. The ITV HD channel will launch exclusively on Freesat shortly.

Thanks to Advanced-Telivision.com

I'v searched the internet and can find no technical information on the freesat web page as to which satellite is used, where it is, which transponders together with frequency, polarization etc...

It seems the authorities think we are all idiots, and need installers at £80 a throw to put up our dishes when we arrive at our campsites. All they seem to advertise is 'WE ARE ALL ON THEIR DATABASE' , I know where their database lives too - so they had better watch out >:-) .

The little info I have gleaned from the web seems to suggest the satellite is in the same geostationary orbit as the existing Astra satellite group, 28.2 deg east has been put forward by some.

I think that you might need to ADD and NAME the satellite to your FTA receiver, entering in the transponder details when available, and carrying out a search to include in another FAVOURITE table for the FTA broadcasters, will probably be the best way to go, so that satellite selection when using the system is easier.

Terry

Does this mean I won't need a Sky box/card now? And will my automatic satellite dish just wizz round to pick it up if I know what the name of their satellite is?

I'm just a simple old Hector when it comes to technical things! :-D

A quick post before I go to 'Cathedrel of the Chiltons', freesat is transmited from 28.2 as sky, the only reason at present to get new decoder would be to get EPG (electronic programme guide) or if you want to upgrade to HD (if you haven't already got it), everything else should be availible on fta or sky box's (altough there's something strange about ITV-HD transmisions aparently) I personaly will be waiting till later this year to maybe buy a HD-PVR when they come out

Hi,

I did Post this info on the liddle sat box posting, but in case you missed it FTA digiboxes are programmed to receive the BBC & ITV channels plus lots more channels about 30 in all. However you made need to add transponder frequencys and delete the old ones as some of them changed last year.

Channel 4 are doing trials on the Astra 2 FTA group of satalites, the transponder frequency for this is 10.729 V 2200 it will come up with 8350 Ident. Channel five should become available FTA in the autumn. I wiil post the info on this when I receive it.

News 24 is now the News channel and has changed transponder frequency to 11.954 H 27500.

You need to point your dish 28.2 degrees East, elevationto suit location.

Regards Geoff

yes lots of info on satellite for caravans but on lyngsat you get the real info i.e the frequencies for the channels. Just retuned my FTA Blackbox receiver and got all the channels free although no programme guide.

Hi Puzzled,

Did a Astra 2D transponder scan on my FTA box from Maplins, pressed the EPG button on my remote control and up popped the EPG giving times and program details, details in depth could be expanded by hitting the info button.

The box is the Medtronic Liberty from the Camping set 2, on sale at £79, I bought it through their internet web page for £38 inclusive (£25 + vat and PP).

I am wondering whether it's necessary to input, individual transponder frequencies, polarisation, Symbol and FEC rate, to find broadcasters, as my rx seems to have found all the transponders without any input from me. Also it has the facility to look only for unencypted channels by selecting FREE rather than ALL on a scan.

Okay and thanks on the Lyngsat web page, I had found it useful in the past when setting up my Sky Javelin Box and always carry a copy in the MH.

Terry

Channel five should become available FTA in the autumn. I wiil post the info on this when I receive it.

So channel 5 is currently not available on any FTA satellite service? I only ask because I notice that that is were the Test Match highlights are being show..!

Doug

Terrytraveller - 2008-05-08 10:43 AM

Hi Puzzled,

Did a Astra 2D transponder scan on my FTA box from Maplins, pressed the EPG button on my remote control and up popped the EPG giving times and program details, details in depth could be expanded by hitting the info button.

The box is the Medtronic Liberty from the Camping set 2, on sale at £79, I bought it through their internet web page for £38 inclusive (£25 + vat and PP).

I am wondering whether it's necessary to input, individual transponder frequencies, polarisation, Symbol and FEC rate, to find broadcasters, as my rx seems to have found all the transponders without any input from me. Also it has the facility to look only for unencypted channels by selecting FREE rather than ALL on a scan.

Okay and thanks on the Lyngsat web page, I had found it useful in the past when setting up my Sky Javelin Box and always carry a copy in the MH.

Terry

Terry can you give us information as to where you got your Medtronic LIberty as our Maplins box has given up the ghost we only bought it last Christmas! so it has only given us one seasons use. :-| phoning them to-day on returning from Edinburgh where we tried all day trying to tune it in! they say it cant be mended and its only guaranteed for one year :-S so it looks as if we will have to replace it. We thought we would be able to use it this year abroad so we need to find something fast.

Hi Margaret

I bought the Camping Sat Set from Maplins see link http://tinyurl.com/6zt53r , it was on offer at the time and just too cheap to refuse, as I still had some room in my loft - I thought I would buy it *-)

I cannot comment on its longevity as I have only played with it twice. My recommendations for getting a decent life out of any electronic device, that is soild state/integrated 12 volt equipment, is to use a voltage stabliser such as the ADC90 Amporer stabilizer.

If the equipment you intend to use with 12 volts straight from the leisure or car batteries is not marked with a range of voltage - such as 12 - 15 volt input, or as the yesteryear very popular Panasonic G10 12 to 24 volt input voltage, then use a voltage stablizer.

Leisure vehicle batteries voltages can vary between 10.5 volts and 13.8 -14.8 volts if on charge with either built in mains charger, solar panel or vehicle alternator.

My first sat rx Sky Javelin model 1000 is around 8 years old, used almost continually for 3years, re-installing probably 160 times. So it is really important to use a stabilizer to increase the reliability, some people will get away with not using a stabilizer for the moment!

Regarding your non working sat rx, take it back and/or contact the manufacturers, usually the manufacturers will exchange a faulty product under the fair usage policy. I didn't buy a new toaster from Currys for nearly 10 years, as the mortality rate was up to 12 months each time it was replaced :$

Hope above helps.

Regards Terry

Terrytraveller - 2008-05-21 8:55 AM

Hi Margaret

I bought the Camping Sat Set from Maplins see link http://tinyurl.com/6zt53r , it was on offer at the time and just too cheap to refuse, as I still had some room in my loft - I thought I would buy it *-)

I cannot comment on its longevity as I have only played with it twice. My recommendations for getting a decent life out of any electronic device, that is soild state/integrated 12 volt equipment, is to use a voltage stabliser such as the ADC90 Amporer stabilizer.

If the equipment you intend to use with 12 volts straight from the leisure or car batteries is not marked with a range of voltage - such as 12 - 15 volt input, or as the yesteryear very popular Panasonic G10 12 to 24 volt input voltage, then use a voltage stablizer.

Leisure vehicle batteries voltages can vary between 10.5 volts and 13.8 -14.8 volts if on charge with either built in mains charger, solar panel or vehicle alternator.

My first sat rx Sky Javelin model 1000 is around 8 years old, used almost continually for 3years, re-installing probably 160 times. So it is really important to use a stabilizer to increase the reliability, some people will get away with not using a stabilizer for the moment!

Regarding your non working sat rx, take it back and/or contact the manufacturers, usually the manufacturers will exchange a faulty product under the fair usage policy. I didn't buy a new toaster from Currys for nearly 10 years, as the mortality rate was up to 12 months each time it was replaced :$

Hope above helps.

Regards Terry

Hi T.

We only ever use the T.V and Sat when we have a electric hookup! you wouldnt need to use a stabalizer plugged into the mains would you?

We sent an E.mail to the Manufacturer and he was very helpfull instructing us to send it back to him for repair or replacement, which we did to-day so fingers crossed we should be sorted! thanks again M&J.

Hi Margaret,

If you are using mains only or the mains adaptor supplied with the equipment, then you will not have any problem regarding over voltage. Most of the adaptors supplied for use with the TV or sat rx etc.. will operate from 100 to 240 volts 50 - 60hz, and reduce the voltage to within the limits specified by the equipment for which it is to be used. It is important to note that even if the mains adaptors have the same plug on the low voltage end, it would not be advisable to 'mix and match'.

My advice was for equipment using the 12 volt DC supply from the motorhome/caravan system, when the motorhome mains charger is switched on, the battery voltage will be 13.8 volts, which is more than may be required by your 12 volt electronic equipment.

One end of the stabilizer is plugged into the motorhome 12 volt system, and the other end of the stabilizer is plugged into the sat rx or/and TV, there is usually enough output to plug both 12 volt TV and 12 volt sat rx into one stabilizer, but it depends on your TV, the 12 volt sat rx and LNB rarely take more than 1.5 amps.

The stabilizer I use can be seen on link http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/products/12v_Stabiliser.asp the write up warns about use of sensitive 12 volt equipment.

Regards Terry

I had the opportunity to try a Grundig "Freesat" box yesterday and I have to say I was distinctly underwelmed by it. It locked up twice during locating of the actual satellite requiring a "reboot" on both occasions. On first installation it asks for your post code which then enables it to allocate your local variants of ITV and BBC channels to the first slots in the programme list. After about 15 minutes it had finished scanning the satellite and found 80 channels. These included about 8 radio channels so it only actually found 72 TV channels. I found this rather poor when a FTA box will pick up something like 320 channels from that same satellite. It was also mains only which limits its usefulness to motorhome owners. Yes you do get a full seven day EPG but that on its own doesn't make it worth the money to my mind. My £50 maplin FTA box will get 320 TV channels, about 100 radio channels from Astra 2 but it can also get several hundred more channels from Astra 1 and Hotbird to mention just two other satellites. Eurosport is available from Astra 1 unencrypted as is BBc World, CNN and Bloomberg.

TV listings can be easily found using the teletext service from Astra 2 anyway.

D.

Haven't had chance to use one myself, but I understand it can be reset to 'normal' fta but this apparently wipes out settings and you have to start again, so not too great there.

As for number of channels, well a big chunk of those 320 will be 'babe station' and sales channels so no great loss

Like the sky boxes, they are unlikly to be as adaptable as a fta or enthusiats box, but hopefully will be more user friendly for people who like to get channels organised like you get on freeview, also channel 4 and hopefully soon five will be in clear as a spin off of freesat which may benifit those of us with fta boxes and also gives alternative to sky for HD

Archived