re-plating motorhome

Tstar

Can anyone advise on the procedure for re-plating my van .I have a Burstner T Star 680 on a 316 Mercedes Sprinter with a MAM of 3500 I would like to take it to 3850 if possible. *-) *-)

Tstar:

Mel Eastburn (Mel E) used to offer a guide to motorhome re-plating, but that was 3 years or so ago. Hopefully he'll respond to your inquiry as "motorhome weight" is one of his favourite subjects.

In practice, it shouldn't present any problem 'up-plating' a motorhome based on a 3500kg Sprinter 316 chassis, as (so I understand) this is effectively a 3800k MAM Mercedes chassis 'down-plated' to the magic 3500kg limit. The VED licensing class would change from Private/Light Goods to Private Heavy Goods - saving you £20 annually at current rates, but with driving-licence, speed limits potential implications.

SVTech should be able to give you chapter and verse.

Frankly, £200 is grossly excessive for this when the base chassis is already designed to a MAM of 3800 - I replated my last motorhome for the princely sum of nothing. It costs more if the base chassis does not have a designated MAM that is adequate.

If you PM me with your private email address. I'll send you a copy of the MMM Fact Sheet on replating.

Mel E

====

Archived