rattles

Pamand Bev

Could any one help please. We are new motor home owners. Just driving the van home without our equipment it was full of rattles, oven shelf, oven top, microwave, sink top etc. Is this normal? Then we have all the pots and pans and equipment to put in. Any tips on this would be very useful.

Homebase sell velcro in reasonable length rolls. Just cut to length.

I have used two pieces to retain the griddle in the oven by strapping it to the side rails. Got rid of a main source of rattle. Also I use the same stuff to wrap around two sucepans holding them tight.

Another source of rattle was the fire, you need to give the fire a bit of a tap, on mine the front bars were a cause, jamming some foam offcuts between the bars cured that.

On my m/h rattles in the side locker were cured again using the velcro tape.

The tape is not cheap, but very usefull indeed

Unfortunately all motorhomes rattle to a greater or lesser extent. You need various bits and pieces to stop them, teatowels, some of the grip matting to line shelves etc with, bits of sponge, etc, etc. Careful packing of pots and pans will make a lot of difference - use some cut down teatowels between each pan when you stack them to stop them moving around inside of each other and clanking, for cups and beakers, we have some 'tubes' that came on the bottom 5 spoked stands of office chairs but some of the expanding foam/mesh type covers that individual fruits come in can work just as well. Or you can cut down some old (or new cheap) socks and use them to put over them. Decant the contents of glass bottles that some foodstuffs etc come in, into plastic ones as these can be tightly stood together and don't clank (much lighter and safer as well). The secret is in packing things so that they can't move around in cupboard etc and for this extra teatowels and the like are useful. To some extent it's a case of trial and error to see what works best.

Welcome to the club! :-D

You'll find various previous threads about persistent rattles and noises on all makes of 'van but generally an empty 'van amplifies rattles and is therefore noisier than a fully load one. So don't be too dispondent until you've travelled in it in a "full" state.

The things you've mentioned are typical sources of irritating rattles on even the most expensive motorhomes but 99.9% of them can be eradicated quite easily. In most cases they arise from two surfaces rubbing or coming into contact with each other - like the oven grill rattling in its runners or a glass jar knocking against another. Normally, by inserting some material - foam rubber - polythene sheet - or rearranging things so that a plastic bottle is placed between two glass ones - the problem is solved.

Don't let it get you down think of it as a challenge - it's all part of this great past-time of motorhoming.

Having said that you'll need to accept that the ambient noise level in a 'van is higher than in a motorcar but most of us become accustomed to it.

V

To stop glass bottles and jars rattling together, use some of the expanding plastic mesh sleeves that they put on your bottles in the airport duty free shop. Last time we flew, we asked if we could have a few spares, and got about 20 to keep us going.

Non-slip matting on the cupboard shelves stops bits sliding round too.

I put a sheet of bubble wrap under the pan grid on the top of the cooker, and another under the glass lid, a couple of rolls of the non slip mesh comes in very handy I lay a long piece on the plate rack and push the plates in place.

under seat frames we have put square of sponge draught excluder to muffle the thud as you go over bumps. Basicly you just trace what is rattling and muffle it with something suitable

:-D you will soon get the hang of it even my teapot lid gets the treatment and if tins are stood on the slip mesh and packed close you wont hear them.

Pamand Bev - 2008-05-07 9:02 PM Could any one help please. We are new motor home owners. Just driving the van home without our equipment it was full of rattles, oven shelf, oven top, microwave, sink top etc. Is this normal? Then we have all the pots and pans and equipment to put in. Any tips on this would be very useful.

Pauline - Worry Not.

Just look forward to the fact that in about 3 years time you will have found out where all the rattles are coming from, devised a way to eliminate them, and the only sound that you will hear will be that of rubber on the road..... 

Pamand Bev - 2008-05-07 9:02 PM

Could any one help please. We are new motor home owners. Just driving the van home without our equipment it was full of rattles, oven shelf, oven top, microwave, sink top etc. Is this normal? Then we have all the pots and pans and equipment to put in. Any tips on this would be very useful.

There are two sources of rattles.

1) The vehicle itself + fittings

2) The itens you carry around with you.

As you m/home was 'empty' it sounds like you have problems with number 1. These can only be eliminated by tracing them one at a time using some of the methods described by others.

The no.2 items are easier because you can just wrap things in bubblewrap or use non slip materials and Velcro.

I have heard of people stopping their glasses from 'chinking' by putting them in old socks, so as you can see, you will soon find ways to cut the noise down.

Apart from that, welcome to the m'home fraternity and go out there and enjoy !

;-) ;-)

Guest Tracker

Bulldog type paper clamps are good for clamping the oven shelves to their runners.

Carpet, draught excluder, anti slip matting, lumps of foam plastic, stretchy curtain wire, rubber bungies, and anything else that the Wombles would be proud to acquire all play their part in the game of ingenuity called rattle elimination.

As said earlier - by the time you change the van it should be well sorted but at least the next one will be easier to cure!

when we picked up our new van, i found the the heater/fire surrond was the main source of rattles.

took it into auto-sleeper, and they adjusted the fins, and at my request put two black screws (to match the casing) into the top of the case and bingo! that stoped 90% of the rattles.

pete

Archived